Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Thanks. I definitely think past Oxbridge success rates should be considered. I hope it's still used tbh. I feel like my chances are reduced because nobody from my school have got into Oxford recently. Probably not but I definitely feel at a disadvantage.
    It is of course a genuine factor to consider given that some schools have well established frameworks for 'coaching' Oxbridge candidates whilst others (including my own former school) are ridiculously unversed in regards to the application process. This is not as big a problem as it perhaps used to be given the availability of a multitude of resources on the Oxford website and the external access resources (e.g. Jamie Miles, Simon Clark, Jake Wright, OxVlog, OxTweet, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    Personally I would look at this in a totally different way. If you have a competitive application but your school never sends anybody to Oxbridge, then you have exceeded what anybody from your school has done before.

Kind of like getting straight As when normally students at your school get all Bs.
    Thanks. Yeah that's also true, only 5% got AAA or above at A Level so maybe that's considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlan)
    It is of course a genuine factor to consider given that some schools have well established frameworks for 'coaching' Oxbridge candidates whilst others (including my own former school) are ridiculously unversed in regards to the application process. This is not as big a problem as it perhaps used to be given the availability of a multitude of resources on the Oxford website and the external access resources (e.g. Jamie Miles, Simon Clark, Jake Wright, OxVlog, OxTweet, etc.)
    Yes it's definitely noticeable when you compare schools that have good experience of sending people to Oxford and Cambridge.

My sister goes to a grammar school and in year 12 there is already an Oxbridge focus group to help prepare students who are looking to apply for entry in 2017.

I went to a comprehensive and you'd think they'd never heard of Oxbridge at times. The disparity is definitely smaller than it used to be, but still noticeable.

Yes, I watch Jake and Simon's videos quite often. They're really informative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drriversong)
    Magdalen-what about you?
    Aw, Magdalen is so pretty! Oriel

ReputationRep:
    I'm non-EU, and I'll apply to Wadham PPE. I want to inform Oxford about my school as an extenuating circumstance about some of my low AP scores; it has a demanding program which includes both French and Turkish curricula but it doesn't offer AP courses. This situation will also be mentioned in my teacher reference, but I'll also get my school write a letter or an e-mail for a detailed explanation. Who would be the most appropriate addressee? Wadham, Oxford admissions mail(if there is any), Oxford University?

ReputationRep:
    Just applied for History at New College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleethompson)
    I've applied to Oriel!
    Have you sent your application off yet?
    Ive completed everything but my school seem to be holding my application hostage for some reason they send them out in batches on Tuesday and Thursday but they haven't sent it off yet

Have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Does Oxford see how many people your school has got in in recent years. My school got nobody into Oxbridge last year.
    By virtue of no one having got in, your school must not have had particularly impressive results. What this translate to is that if you got good results, they'll seem better than they otherwise would because the quality of your education is assumed to have been lower etc etc.

Essentially, yes, they have access to all this information, and they take it into account when asking people to interview and deciding whether they get a place.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what MAT score St John's expects for their Mathematics candidates to have on average? I'm considering applying because SJ is amazing but I want to know how realistic it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    By virtue of no one having got in, your school must not have had particularly impressive results. What this translate to is that if you got good results, they'll seem better than they otherwise would because the quality of your education is assumed to have been lower etc etc.

Essentially, yes, they have access to all this information, and they take it into account when asking people to interview and deciding whether they get a place.
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah07)
    Does anyone know what MAT score St John's expects for their Mathematics candidates to have on average? I'm considering applying because SJ is amazing but I want to know how realistic it is.
    I recall one year it was 84 for those who got an offer at SJC, but SJC is the most applied to college for Mathematics
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ylmdk)
    I'm non-EU, and I'll apply to Wadham PPE. I want to inform Oxford about my school as an extenuating circumstance about some of my low AP scores; it has a demanding program which includes both French and Turkish curricula but it doesn't offer AP courses. This situation will also be mentioned in my teacher reference, but I'll also get my school write a letter or an e-mail for a detailed explanation. Who would be the most appropriate addressee? Wadham, Oxford admissions mail(if there is any), Oxford University?
    Wadham's admissions tutor would be the best bet :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application today! Music at Worcester
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    Sent my application today! Music at Worcester
    Woosta, muhahah!

Good luck to you, and to everyone applying round about now! :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eux)
    I recall one year it was 84 for those who got an offer at SJC, but SJC is the most applied to college for Mathematics
    What about Somerville - what's the average MAT score for this college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NT226)
    I dont know, I just remember reading a freedom of information request about the average MAT scores for a few colleges and I remembered St Johns as that was where I was initially applying to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NT226)
    Average MAT scores really do vary according to that year's paper and its difficulty. The average marks vary from 66 to just below 80 i think for the successful Oxford applicants. As long as you're scoring a reasonable mark - there's not too much point placing too much emphasis on statistics!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by NT226)
    70.4 according to this: Freedom of information request: average MAT of successful applicants by college

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions-feedback-ppe
    This here says that shortlisting was not based on the personal statement. Is it really that insignificant for Oxbridge?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PlaneovertheSea)
    http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions-feedback-ppe
    This here says that shortlisting was not based on the personal statement. Is it really that insignificant for Oxbridge?
    Really depends on the tutor, tbh. Some tutors may not even read your personal statement, whereas others may want to use it as a starting point for the interview, and then there's everything in between those two opposites!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.