Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Can't we all just put aside these differences, sit down, partner, and collaborate?

Maybe then we can build capability for all!

ReputationRep:
    Ladies, gents, let's be civilised please.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously you guys...! This thread was created for potential candidates/accepted candidates (and in my case rejected candidates) to help each other, not to bash each other. So please don't do so and put others off from asking questions. Check out the previous CS thread if you're too impatient- it's actually very useful and can also shed light on the average scores for pass marks incase you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.burton)
    I'm on the Generalist scheme, and no I'm still waiting for my score/report - I had my FSAC on 5th February and I was an immediate pass, so I'm trying to work out the logic behind other Generalists getting there reports back already despite attending the FSAC way after I did!
    Congrats! In my comment I was referring to why some people had got their reports and scores (not results about passing) already. I think grownupfrog said it was because some people have FSB (or maybe because its difference streams) which would seem logical.

I was always under the impression from the website that reports were mostly all published at once (regardless of when/whether you had passed/failed/amber banded) in April but there seem to be a few exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebird82)
    Congrats! In my comment I was referring to why some people had got their reports and scores (not results about passing) already. I think grownupfrog said it was because some people have FSB (or maybe because its difference streams) which would seem logical.

I was always under the impression from the website that reports were mostly all published at once (regardless of when/whether you had passed/failed/amber banded) in April but there seem to be a few exceptions.
    Thank you I guess I'll just have to wait for a little bit longer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippit)
    Seriously you guys...! This thread was created for potential candidates/accepted candidates (and in my case rejected candidates) to help each other, not to bash each other. So please don't do so and put others off from asking questions. Check out the previous CS thread if you're too impatient- it's actually very useful and can also shed light on the average scores for pass marks incase you're interested.
    Agreed - sorry everyone!

ReputationRep:
    It seems to have been a few days since we had any results coming through. Are the 1st round FSACs finished now?

ReputationRep:
    Just about to start my E-tray for the HR Fast Stream round 2. Any tips or advice from anyone? I have been successful in the online tests and have completed my application form. Just the E-tray left between me and the FSAC!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ses_251)
    Just about to start my E-tray for the HR Fast Stream round 2. Any tips or advice from anyone? I have been successful in the online tests and have completed my application form. Just the E-tray left between me and the FSAC!
    Don't try to work in Word and copy + paste in at the end, I have seen a few people on here who did that and it didn't work. Do all your typing in the window provided. Keep an eye on the time and have some paper to make notes. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d41k57)
    Don't try to work in Word and copy + paste in at the end, I have seen a few people on here who did that and it didn't work. Do all your typing in the window provided. Keep an eye on the time and have some paper to make notes. Good luck!
    Thanks buddy! Did you also apply for the HR FS? Any ideas how many candidates they are hoping to recruit on to the HR stream this year? Trying to gauge success rate.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks buddy! Did you also apply for the HR FS? Any ideas how many candidates they are hoping to recruit on to the HR stream this year? Trying to gauge success rate.
    Nope, I applied to the stats route, but we all take the same e-tray so was happy to help. No idea about the number of candidates this year, but I found a link to some fast stream recruitment facts from 2013 (they recruited 80 to HR in that year, there were 11.4 applications per vacancy and they took on 9.0% of applicants). It's an interesting read, as it divides up numbers of applications by University, gender etc.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...data_FINAL.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you have note paper to hand. You'll get quite a lot of information to process before the main tasks begin. You might not have time to read it all but you should make sure you look at each document and possibly note down which document contains certain pieces of information that you think you might want to refer to later. I assume you've done the practice one that they offer... Good luck!
    I'm on HR (successful in round 1). They don't release the numbers in advance I don't think, but there are some stats here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-stream-report
    For example, last year there were 80 HR vacancies with a 9% success rate, 60 the year before that with a 6% success rate, etc. HR is somewhere in the middle from that point of view - higher success rates than the generalist streams, but lower than stats/economists. To be honest I wouldn't worry about any of that though - just do your best at the E-tray and at FSAC if you get through. There are so many criteria involved that it isn't possible to second guess outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d41k57)
    Nope, I applied to the stats route, but we all take the same e-tray so was happy to help. No idea about the number of candidates this year, but I found a link to some fast stream recruitment facts from 2013 (they recruited 80 to HR in that year, there were 11.4 applications per vacancy and they took on 9.0% of applicants). It's an interesting read, as it divides up numbers of applications by University, gender etc.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...data_FINAL.pdf
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    Make sure you have note paper to hand. You'll get quite a lot of information to process before the main tasks begin. You might not have time to read it all but you should make sure you look at each document and possibly note down which document contains certain pieces of information that you think you might want to refer to later. I assume you've done the practice one that they offer... Good luck!

I'm on HR (successful in round 1). They don't release the numbers in advance I don't think, but there are some stats here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-stream-report
    For example, last year there were 80 HR vacancies with a 9% success rate, 60 the year before that with a 6% success rate, etc. HR is somewhere in the middle from that point of view - higher success rates than the generalist streams, but lower than stats/economists. To be honest I wouldn't worry about any of that though - just do your best at the E-tray and at FSAC if you get through. There are so many criteria involved that it isn't possible to second guess outcomes.
    Thanks for your insights guys. And the 2013 stat report was a good read. Will give the E-tray my best shot and see where it leads. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Parity say 'sometime next week' for HR results with feedback sometime after that. I bet it's 4pm Friday...I am so impatient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo131278)
    Parity say 'sometime next week' for HR results with feedback sometime after that. I bet it's 4pm Friday...I am so impatient.

I know the feeling! Also waiting on HR results, had FSAC almost 2 months ago now, just want to know either way! Good luck for when they (eventually) release the results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo131278)

I just hope that it is next week. They told us incorrect times constantly when I was waiting for internship results. Hopefully by this time next week we will know one way or the other though! I don't think I can take another week of not knowing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizardwoman)
    Sounds so tough :eek:

The only prep I've really done is read the guidance a couple of times and had a think through the example role plays - hopefully it's enough to put in a decent performance.

Not as many people seem to have written of their experiences in the FSB compared to the FSAC's. I guess I have a fear of the unknown because I'm definitely more nervous than before the FSAC! Can't wait to just finish this whole process!
    I can speak to the DaT FSB (or TiB as it was called when I took it). There were no trick questions and between reading my FSAC report and reading the FSB guidance I had all the information I needed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I recently attended the Diplomatic FSB and after the interview I'm having some reservations about the FCO as a career. I've always loved travelling, have worked abroad recently and I'm interested in foreign policy, but I'm worried about the implications of such a career on family life, friends etc, and I'm really leaning towards Central Departments. Can I withdraw my first preference for DS now and go with CD? Presumably they won't mind because it means less competition for places, or will I have to wait for the results? Sorry, I know this sounds crazy considering the level of competition for DS, but going to the FSB has freaked me out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolomonBurke)
    Hi everyone, I recently attended the Diplomatic FSB and after the interview I'm having some reservations about the FCO as a career. I've always loved travelling, have worked abroad recently and I'm interested in foreign policy, but I'm worried about the implications of such a career on family life, friends etc, and I'm really leaning towards Central Departments. Can I withdraw my first preference for DS now and go with CD? Presumably they won't mind because it means less competition for places, or will I have to wait for the results? Sorry, I know this sounds crazy considering the level of competition for DS, but going to the FSB has freaked me out.
    Sorry to hear you're having doubts! I believe you can be withdrawn from consideration at any point if you contact Parity. I don't see how attending the FSB would have changed that in any way, if anything they would probably prefer to know as soon as possible to save any wasted effort. Then again you may just want to see if you were successful and make a decision from there!

On that point - has any heard when the results from the DS FSB's will be received? I attended mine back in February and the wait is starting to drive me insane!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimoy234)
    I feel like a complete fool for doing this but somehow I ended up taking the real tests, skipping to the end and pressing submit when I intended to just skip the practice tests.

I'd taken practice tests elsewhere and didn't feel the need to resit the ones offered by the civil service, and now I have submitted two test results with a 0.

I've just written a message but the phone line is obviously closed so I can't take this issue up in person. Has anyone here had a brain fart and done this too? I'm really hoping they let me sit the actual tests again because I will be devastated if this is the end of my application
    what happened?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.