Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bboymad)
    VR- 540( I was disappointed i didn't breach any more than 600 but I kind of expected it to be honest haha)
    QR- 850:eek: (Thought i was gonna do so badly- I had to re-teach myself how to do percentage changes the day before LMAO)
    AR- 870 (pleasantly surprised. Managed to guess all patterns- lost some marks probably due to slight misinterpretation of rules or choosing the wrong set even though in my head i had chose the right set- not the first time that has ever happened hahah)
    SJT- band 2 (indifferent)
    average- 753

RESOURCES: 1000Q, Official UKCAT Mocks, Medify

Medify is the best resource in my opinion! I suggest doing every single question there is before you sit your exam!!!!!!!!! INCLUDING MOCKS ON THERE!!!!! Because i didn't and coincidentally enough the amount of questions that i did for each section on medify correlate with my score hahaha
    I gotta admit i barely used half of the 1000Q, but i did do all the AR questions in it and some QR. In my opinion the maths in the 1000Q is of a WAY HARDER STANDARD than what it's like in the real test- Medify is more realistic, i feel.
    Amazing score! Congrats what kind of maths would you suggest practicing? Haven't done maths since GCSE and was pretty crap at it back then :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayrk)
    All my medify mocks for QR were 600s but i got 830 on actual. I promise you it's easily 50% easier.
    Hey, do you have any particular areas in maths which you would recommend practicing? I haven't done maths in forever...:s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    The practice tests are great. They're harder than tests 1-6 but I think that's good for practice, especially VR (VERY lengthy paragraphs and hard statement questions).
    Are you refering to the mock tests in the book??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    seriously VR is killing me... anyone has a solid strategy they stuck to??
    Look you need to find your strengths in this. Most suggest read question first then scan for words. For some ppl this works well, if you are good at scanning go for it. I tried it last year and failed miserably I got a 590 in VR. I can't scan my attention is completely lost if I do that. What works for me is I read whole text fast but concentrated and then when I go to questions i have retained most info. I'm getting around 750 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrosenwalker)
    Hey, do you have any particular areas in maths which you would recommend practicing? I haven't done maths in forever...:s
    The maths itself isn't that hard without the time limit. I'd say once you've got to grips with it, do as much timed practice as possible while trying not to fall into the traps under the pressure

ReputationRep:
    So I averaged at 667 (a bit lower than I expected )
    VR 630
    QR 750
    AR 620
    I have 9 A*s at GCSE, are there places I should definitely avoid because of my ukcat score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    erm i'd say Medify. I'd say that the medify AR has a mix of easy and hard and as long as you're getting most of the hard ones right and getting in the 700s im sure you'll be fine. In my Kaplan I was getting 600's and in one i even got 500! In medify I was getting slightly higher
    What overall mock scores were you getting in Kaplan and Medify?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    710 average
    VR: 630
    QR: 710
    AR: 790
    SJT: 2
    Did you find QR as easy as everyones making it out to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lekeziah)
    VR 630
    QR 750
    AR 620
    I have 9 A*s at GCSE, are there places I should definitely avoid because of my ukcat score
    Your score is above average, and with such strong GCSE grades, I can't really think of anywhere you couldn't apply.

I see your AR score is fairly low, were the patterns really difficult or did you just run out of time?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lekeziah)
    VR 630
    QR 750
    AR 620
    Newcastle, southampton, Glasgow, exeter, manchester, edinburgh.

Your grades are amazing i would say you have a good shot at Cardiff, Birmingham, QUB, Leicester, Nottingham, Liverpool, UEA, SGUL, Aberdeen, Dundee.

For cardiff you would get a full academic score and would be highly likely to get an interview.
    For birmingham you would score very highly for combined GCSE and UKCAT score which is likely to get an interview.
    For QUB same reason as bham.
    Leicester you would score very high on GCSE and decent on UKCAT. Same with nottingham although this is a bit riskier as they include PS in their score.
    Liverpool are PS heavy but you should have no trouble getting to the stage where the PS is marked, this may be more risky as an option as they place less emphasis on GCSEs which is 100% your strong point.
    If you really want to take a risk try kings or a bmat uni.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    Your score is above average, and with such strong GCSE grades, I can't really think of anywhere you couldn't apply.

I see your AR score is fairly low, were the patterns really difficult or did you just run out of time?
    Probably wouldnt a be a competative score for UKCAT heavy unis as a lot of cut off scores have surpassed this in previous years for these unis. But there are still loads of options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  lol.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  184.2 KB Anyone who has done the exam, are the VR passages really this long and complicated? Getting a bit worried
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Name:  lol.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  184.2 KB Anyone who has done the exam, are the VR passages really this long and complicated? Getting a bit worried
    I sat my exam 2 years ago now but i can say it was a mix of long passages like this and shorter passages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceLewis)
    Are you refering to the mock tests in the book??
    The Plus package on Kaplan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Did you find QR as easy as everyones making it out to be?
    It's definitely Easier than Medify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I sat my exam 2 years ago now but i can say it was a mix of long passages like this and shorter passages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah okay at least it is not all bad, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    What overall mock scores were you getting in Kaplan and Medify?
    i hated doing kaplan mocks because you can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts and so i did better in the medify ones getting high 600s compared to low ones in kaplan cus the layout frustrated me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samrosenwalker)
    Percentage change
    Perimeter, area etc
    Speed, dist, time
    Mean, median, mode
    Graphs
    Questions on tax
    Converting measurements from one form to another i.e. ft to m
    Currency conversion
    Timetables

ReputationRep:
    I got information from a friend who's taken it already that it was a kind of booklet with laminated pages, the size of A5. The reason why you have to ask for new one after filling up is because you get a permanent marker to write notes (especially useful for QR), and not a normal whiteboard marker you can rub out. A tip is once you have a small space left, ask for a new one while thinking about next q, as it'll waste more time if you ask for new one after you run out of space.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I did my UKCAT today. I did worse and I panicked during my exam. Please help me with some advise on where I can apply.
    I got 5A* 3As and 1B in GCSEs.

My UKCAT score: 590 VR, 720 QR, 580 AR.

SJT: Band 2

I am predicted 40 points in IB. PLEASE HELP. I AM SO SAD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.