The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Any idea on UMS for 90 marks?
Reply 2861
Original post by Spectral
Just to point out that the enthalpy change of -198 kj mol-1 still needs the 'mol-1' section to it, because that's the units for enthalpy change. Using 'mol-1' as an argument to justify dividing by 2 is a fallacy because mol-1 is not referring to 'per mole of SO3', it purely denoting 'per such reaction' which is in this case forms 2 moles of SO3

Ahh fair enough i do see :/. However for the reaction you had 2 moles of SO2/SO3, therefore when you do the eqtn, in terms of units, a 'KJ mol-1' is multiplied by 'mol' (the 2 as there are 2 moles of SO3/SO2) therefore delta H is in KJ but for one mole you divid by 2 again to get KJ mol-1? sorry for complex stuff
Original post by Mattk1997
50 degrees to 323 kelvin

Sorry I meant final answer calculation the whole thing for if you used degrees and for if you used kelvin, just to see if I recognise the number
Would I lose marks for not having my coordinate bonds as arrows? I drew them like normal covalent bonds and now I'm kicking myself!
2marks for equation !

Original post by FireBLue97
Lets get this straight
1 mark for equation 2:5 ratio
2nd mark for no of moles of Mno4- 0.02x(26.4/1000)
3rd mark for finding moles of C2o4- using the ratio 0.00132
4th mark for x10 to find in original 250 cm3
5th mark for x by 88 Mr of C2O4 to get 1.16 as this is specifically for the total C2o4 present before titre so up to this point definitely right
6th mark for the Mr of C2o4 which is 88
7th mark for dividing by 2.29 or something then times 100% to get the percentage as 50.7
Here are the official 7 marks for this question as both the 50.7 and 94.4% answers concern C2o4 pressent in the original sample 94.4 gives 8 marks whilst this is a 7 marker so why isnt this paper out of 101 dalmations
Original post by palacefloor
Was there a question about advantage and disadvantage?? I don't remember that at aII?

It was the last question of the fuel cell one! 'What is the main environmental advantage of fuel cells' or something :smile:
Reply 2866
How many marks do you reckon I'll lose for not dividing the enthalpy/entropy equation by 2? I think there were 6 marks available, not sure. The question with SO2 and SO3

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chloeabeki
Would I lose marks for not having my coordinate bonds as arrows? I drew them like normal covalent bonds and now I'm kicking myself!

I've only seem them award marks in the past for arrows when they ask you to 'show the bonding' in the complex - I can't remember if they did.

You might be OK though.

Original post by Ginpls
It was the last question of the fuel cell one! 'What is the main environmental advantage of fuel cells' or something :smile:

I said they don't need to be electrically recharged but apparently it's that they don't produce CO2

However the last part of that question was about them not being carbon-neutral.
Original post by Fibsy
How many marks do you reckon I'll lose for not dividing the enthalpy/entropy equation by 2? I think there were 6 marks available, not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't know for sure if you do or don't, BUT the main consent is that you DO NOT.

Regardless, it would be a mark lost for each calculation from that equation (so -2 marks) since Gibbs uses error carried forward.
Original post by Suits101

I said they don't need to be electrically recharged but apparently it's that they don't produce CO2

However the last part of that question was about them not being carbon-neutral.

My bad, meant second to last question*
Yeah its either acid rain or no co2 emission as the question said 'environmental advantages'
Reply 2871
Guys for the Lattice dissociation question did you have to times the 90 which was atomisation of K by 2??
If my reaction was endothermic do I get follow through marks for correct explanation?
Original post by Ginpls
My bad, meant second to last question*
Yeah its either acid rain or no co2 emission as the question said 'environmental advantages'

Last question is referring combustion of fossil fuels releasing CO2 :smile:

Original post by Anam
Guys for the Lattice dissociation question did you have to times the 90 which was atomisation of K by 2??

Yes.
Original post by emma_1111
If my reaction was endothermic do I get follow through marks for correct explanation?

Normally do :smile:
You know what I think there was another one of AQAs infamous typos the question was supposed to say standard enthalpy and instead they put enthalpy by accident so it means that this question will probably be free marks for everyone who has either put the 135 or the 62.5 hopefully
Reply 2875

Yes.

Yes.

Is that all you had to do? I got 1910kjmol-1 or something
Original post by FireBLue97
You know what I think there was another one of AQAs infamous typos the question was supposed to say standard enthalpy and instead they put enthalpy by accident so it means that this question will probably be free marks for everyone who has either put the 135 or the 62.5 hopefully

You think or know? Haha.
Original post by Anam
Is that all you had to do? I got 1910kjmol-1 or something

Multiply atomisation and ionisation enthalpies of K by 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gh2
Ahh fair enough i do see :/. However for the reaction you had 2 moles of SO2/SO3, therefore when you do the eqtn, in terms of units, a 'KJ mol-1' is multiplied by 'mol' (the 2 as there are 2 moles of SO3/SO2) therefore delta H is in KJ but for one mole you divid by 2 again to get KJ mol-1? sorry for complex stuff

Sorry that's not how to derive units in equations, coefficients are completely irrelevant in this and all cases when it comes to units so it is still kJ mol-1

I only realise that people quoting 'you have to divide by two' were referring to an example of the standard enthalpy of formation
Yes, if it was the standard enthalpy of formation of course you would divide by two, but it's not. It's delta H reaction, and so actually dividing by 2 is incorrect, because frankly it's wrong. There's only one value for delta G of this reaction, I don't see any reason for AQA to accept an incorrect value. Plus, for any complaining that they worded it weirdly, there is no logical chemistry argument to justify dividing by 2
Original post by User2334541
Yeah, just realised that I made a tiny mistake, forgot to remove 4s first due to lower energy compared to the 3d... :/

Pretty sure its 3d5 cuz in that state theres one electron in each orbital and it means its in its most stable form

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending