Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could somebody correct this sentence pls I have a feeling the grammer is very off

yoru ni ame (ga furu toki) ga suki
    i like it when it rains at night is what i wanted to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer solace)
    could somebody correct this sentence pls I have a feeling the grammer is very off

I reckon it should be yoru no ame ga suki, which sounds right to me, but I'll let someone who can speak japanese fully confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Sounds okay to me,

夜に雨が降るとき、好 きです
    yoru ni ame ga furu toki, sukidesu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Sounds okay to me,

夜に雨が降るとき、好 きです
    yoru ni ame ga furu toki, sukidesu
    Thanks but one questionwhy did you drop the ga. To make it less formal or cant ga go after toki does toki need to be modified somehow ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but one questionwhy did you drop the ga. To make it less formal or cant ga go after toki does toki need to be modified somehow ?
    When you use toki it kind of splits the sentence into two parts...
    "When it rains at night, I like"

Another example,
    日本に行ったとき、ラ ーメンを食べた
    Nihon ni itta toki, ramen o tabeta
    When I went to Japan, I ate ramen

"ga" is a subject marker, and as you've already specified the subject in the first half of the sentence it can be dropped from the second.
    "ga" also needs to point to something. You could say "sore ga sukidesu" (I like that), but it would be unnecessary as we already know that "that" is the rain.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Oh all over the place - the British Museum and British Library (because I'm a nerd like that), the Palace and Abbey at Westminster, a day trip to the seaside and one to Oxford. Lot's of fun.
    That sounds like an awesome trip! The British Museum is incredible, I saw the Egyptian exhibition there last year (I am also a nerd like that )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    When you use toki it kind of splits the sentence into two parts...
    "When it rains at night, I like"

Another example,
    日本に行ったとき、ラ ーメンを食べた
    Nihon ni itta toki, ramen o tabeta
    When I went to Japan, I ate ramen

"ga" is a subject marker, and as you've already specified the subject in the first half of the sentence it can be dropped from the second.
    "ga" also needs to point to something. You could say "sore ga sukidesu" (I like that), but it would be unnecessary as we already know that "that" is the rain.
    ありがとう, 今分かったよ Thanks I think I get why from your explination I keep tying to learn the particle rules but applying them is whole other story.日本語文法が分か
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.