The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

So, I want to study Int Business Studies and Spanish at Uni but for my EPQ I've chosen a subject focusing on fashion.

Is this a bad decision on my behalf? Is an EPQ usually supposed to be tailored around my degree? Will I be at a disadvantage? Will it still count for something on my CV if it is unrelated or shall I just think about dropping out?

Thanks!:cool:
Reply 2861
is anybody else who is trying to find a topic based around literature struggling?

I would really like to do something with a lot of scope, but I haven't got any areas of particular interest. I need to decide so soon but i'm blank for ideas.
Reply 2862
Hey everyone, I had a lecture for my extended project which I will be doing, and our deadline for an initial project title is next Friday. You don't want your project to be too broad or narrow, but it has to be achievable- and it has to be a 5000 word essay. I want to do something along the lines of the UK economy from a certain period up until the present.The two starting periods which I can't decide upon are 1929-present,as you can include the effects of the depression etc, however will this be too much? Or dates such as 1951-present? Need help all you historians and economists!! And is there any books or guides which will help?

Thank you,
Ally

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2863
I am thinking about possibly doinf epq next year and I am doing, maths, economics, geography and government and politics for my AS's. I am thinking of doing law at uni and if im do epq what would you reccommend thinking about doing, I am contemplating doing the production where you do a charity event or something similair. if doing something like that is a bad idea please tell me and has anyone done the production and what you did or any essay ideas or general directions.
Heh. I wonder what I got for my EPQ. I handed some crappy piece in in the end. I'm guessing it's difficult to fail though?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2865
Hi everyone,
I've just done my AS levels so will be starting year 13 in September, with a view to studying French and German at University (at the moment I think I'll be applying to Oxford/Cambridge, possibly Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, probably Glasgow and maybe York). I want to do an EPQ which relates to French literature, and after much deliberation I have come up with a potential question, but I need advice on whether it's appropriate/too narrow/too broad/likely to get a good grade or not.
The question is this: "The work of Francoise Sagan is primarily concerned with the theme of romance." How far is this statement true of three of her most prominent works: 'Bonjour Tristesse,' 'Une Certaine Sourire' and ..............(perhaps the third piece of literature I'll use will be a play but I don't know yet).

any advice would be much appreciated! sorry about the long post!
hi everyone, need help with regards to choosing a topic.

i'm hoping to study medicine in uni so decided to do a topic about anaesthetic.
unfortunately due to dual accreditation, i'm kinda can't do it since it links in with biology (cell receptors, nervous system etc...)
if i was to do anaesthetic, how can i make it not link to biology alevel course?

if not...
there's an alternative topic which i want to do which is brain and language.
this doesn't link in with medicine much.
if possible, how can i link this topic with medicine?

thank you :smile:
Help please... I'm planning to do my EPQ on the Palestine-Israel conflict; but I have no idea what my question should be...
I'm currently planning to start the EPQ study, and have had two clear ideas in mind, but I have no idea whether one is too specific or too broad a subject.

Firstly: a research task regarding the history of discrimination against left-handed people,

Secondly: a research task regarding the work of Arthur Conan Doyle - possibly concerning the success of the Sherlock Holmes works.

(Either this or something concerning a psychological approach to popular fictional characters - e.g. why are psychologically unstable characters exploited in literature?)

I'm currently studying English Lit, Psychology, History and Media Studies and would like an opinion on which would be more suitable to go alongside the studies I'm taking?

I'm slightly at odds over what I want to study at uni, either English Lit (or a variant of English studies) or Law with Psychology, so which would EPQ topic would benefit the most?

Hope someone can help! :smile:
Reply 2869
for Law, i think the first option fits better seeing as you talk about discrimination which always links into Law regardless (and imo, i'd also suggest to just do Law on its own without psychology at uni). i did the EPQ last easter and it was about economics which was completely different to what i applied for at uni which was Law so in a sense all EPQ options sound great there :smile:
I'm looking to do my EPQ on an area of US Politics as it interests me and I'm going to study politics at uni. Anyone got an ideas of potential questions?

My original idea was a study of liberty and religion in US politics but my teacher said this was too close to the course content (we're doing the units on Ideology and Governing the USA with AQA)

I'm now thinking of doing something on free-market economics in US politics, or the veiled extremism of the modern Republican Party but I'm not sure whether these will conflict with the course either.

Anyone got any idea for potential areas of study in US politics?
Trying to think of what to do the project on. Thought about something along the lines of the mechanics behind showjumping and how they affect the trajectory of a horse over the jump, and thereby chances of like success in competitions?

might be a stupid idea, and im not sure, if i were to do it, how to phrase the title so it like sounds better :colondollar:
Reply 2872
Original post by insertuserhere
I'm looking to do my EPQ on an area of US Politics as it interests me and I'm going to study politics at uni. Anyone got an ideas of potential questions?

My original idea was a study of liberty and religion in US politics but my teacher said this was too close to the course content (we're doing the units on Ideology and Governing the USA with AQA)

I'm now thinking of doing something on free-market economics in US politics, or the veiled extremism of the modern Republican Party but I'm not sure whether these will conflict with the course either.

Anyone got any idea for potential areas of study in US politics?

i just finished A-level politics, did british for AS and American for A2, and i can say that unless you do A-level economics (i do/did) then free-market economics in US politics will be a very difficult topic to do in enough detail for a 5000 word essay

here are some topics in US politics which i would find interesting to do:

Pressure groups activity/influence in US politics/government e.g. iron triangles, revolving door syndrome, comparing Dalh Theory vs. C. Wright. Mills

Imperial presidency and Imperilled presidency - an interesting topic comparing the relative strenghts of presidents in foreign and domestic endeavours - this would be particularly interesting if you considered a revivial of the imperial presidency under Obama e.g. use of drones, assasination of Bin Laden as well as his Executive Order passed on March 16 2012 (an extremley interesting read if you have any interest in US politics)

House vs. Senate arguements - a good Congressional topic - which is more powerful/prestigous etc....

just a few topics off the top of my head that i would find fun to do

i did my EPQ on the affects of Muslim immigration in Swedish society :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2873
Original post by ThumbsUp
Hey I did extended project (epq) last year! it can be quite long to do depending on what subject you pick but its definitely worth it.

I did something related to malaria and drugs since i want to do pharmacy, and then i wrote in on my personal statement and when i had interviews i was asked quite a few times about what i learnt in my epq, so it is helpful to do a topic in your chosen course at uni :biggrin:

you wouldnt have to pick something completely medical related it could have a link, mine was more to do with genetically engineering mosquitos and i wrote about how they could be classed as pharmaceuticals (y)

Hey,
Im interested in doin pharmacy too and was looking into doing malaria too!!!What was your actual title because its soo hard to start researching from scratch, Also if you could list any books you used or research- I would really appreciate it!
Thanks for any help in advance
Abbie
P.s Which uni are you studying pharmacy at????
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ~ACJ~
Hey,
Im interested in doin pharmacy too and was looking into doing malaria too!!!What was your actual title because its soo hard to start researching from scratch, Also if you could list any books you used or research- I would really appreciate it!
Thanks for any help in advance
Abbie
P.s Which uni are you studying pharmacy at????

hey ive pm'd you :biggrin:
Reply 2875
Original post by FallenMan
Hi,
I did a short film this year for my EPQ, and it was around 3 minutes long? I would say no more than 10 minutes, as your mentor person has to watch it and also the official marker-they won't want to watch a half an hour piece when they will have loads to mark! . As a side note: I put my film onto a disk, but also uploaded it to YouTube and gave a link for that in the DVD case...just in case it wouldnt work

Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:
I'm hoping to study Applied Mathematics at Cambridge University, could anyone possible provide me with some ideas on what to do my EPQ on? I literally can't think of any sub-topic in Maths which I could reel off 12k+ words on..
Is anyone doing EPQ with OCR?
If so does anyone know where I can get some examples/ how many sources you should be using?
Is it possible to do this over the summer? If so how many hours per week will i need to do?

I'M a little confused as to how to do the log etc.... any help is much appreciated !
:biggrin:
Reply 2879
Original post by garyheehee
Is anyone doing EPQ with OCR?
If so does anyone know where I can get some examples/ how many sources you should be using?

i used like 45 references off of 23 sources in 5000 words, i think it was AQA though - got an A for it though

but, my topic had a very limited amount of previous research done into it

and since i used a similar amount of sources for my 2000 word history coursework i could probably have used more...

hope that gives you an idea on how many sources you might wanna use, i did mine on immigrations affect on Swedish society

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending