Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanny101)
    Hiyaaaa

Im looking to start an extended project going into year 13 however I am stuck with idea's. Im looking to study fashion PR at uni, hopefully LCF so was just wondering has anyone got any idea's I can work with. My main idea was making a dress and recording it then attaching a 1000 word essay.

Roll on the idea's guys and could you please help me with other uni's
    What one of my friends did was look at fashion through the past 60 years or so-although hers was more of an essay. But, an idea of what you could do is make a portfolio and gather research and images from eras and fashion, then the final page of the era could be your own design (including fabrics etc.) using references from that era. If you did that from say the 40's to present day, and then you could look to the future and design something that would set future trends.

Or, if you want to do your own idea from your message, then take photos of each stage, include all drawings/mind maps/images in your process, but THAT into a sketchbook of some sort-labelling everything to say what significance it had in creating your final piece. Just remember, making a dress will be a long process, so leave a lot of time to do a great job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blewweh)
    Your supervisor is your history teacher, and you're doing it on history?! ´ A`;

My school so cruel, our coordinator is deliberately pairing us with supervisors who will have no idea about the subject we are doing.
    Which is nuts because the topic/objective I want to do is confusing to me, the person who wants to do it, so they won't have a freaking clue either lol. .__.;
    (I'm aiming for Computer Science in Uni, so so far am thinking of producing an artefact on the computer (some kind of software?) which will require someone who knows about what I want to do to weigh up whether whatever final objective/title I come up with is reasonable...)

Also I need to ask my schools IT teachers a million and one things; I'm pretty sure already I'll be in contact with them more than any clueless supervisor. o_o;
    That's completely ridiculous. Compromising your results and education for some wooly principple that barely makes sense.

Anyway, I am going to do mine of the medicinal techniques for Alzheimer's and maybe compare the physical medicine to EIT (early intervention therapy) and the less traditional aids.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    That's completely ridiculous. Compromising your results and education for some wooly principple that barely makes sense.

Anyway, I am going to do mine of the medicinal techniques for Alzheimer's and maybe compare the physical medicine to EIT (early intervention therapy) and the less traditional aids.
    Alzheimer's too. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently doing my AS's at the moment but am thinking about doing an extended project next year and want to apply for medicine. Would it be better to do the extended project for a medically related topic or do a completely different topic e.g. art based to show that I have other interests outside of medicine?

Also, for anyone who may have done the extended project already, does it help you get an offer and do they ask about it at interviews if you have done one?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I did extended project (epq) last year! it can be quite long to do depending on what subject you pick but its definitely worth it.

I did something related to malaria and drugs since i want to do pharmacy, and then i wrote in on my personal statement and when i had interviews i was asked quite a few times about what i learnt in my epq, so it is helpful to do a topic in your chosen course at uni

you wouldnt have to pick something completely medical related it could have a link, mine was more to do with genetically engineering mosquitos and i wrote about how they could be classed as pharmaceuticals (y)

ReputationRep:
    So, I want to study Int Business Studies and Spanish at Uni but for my EPQ I've chosen a subject focusing on fashion.

Is this a bad decision on my behalf? Is an EPQ usually supposed to be tailored around my degree? Will I be at a disadvantage? Will it still count for something on my CV if it is unrelated or shall I just think about dropping out?

Thanks!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    is anybody else who is trying to find a topic based around literature struggling?

I would really like to do something with a lot of scope, but I haven't got any areas of particular interest. I need to decide so soon but i'm blank for ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I had a lecture for my extended project which I will be doing, and our deadline for an initial project title is next Friday. You don't want your project to be too broad or narrow, but it has to be achievable- and it has to be a 5000 word essay. I want to do something along the lines of the UK economy from a certain period up until the present.The two starting periods which I can't decide upon are 1929-present,as you can include the effects of the depression etc, however will this be too much? Or dates such as 1951-present? Need help all you historians and economists!! And is there any books or guides which will help?

Thank you,
    Ally

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about possibly doinf epq next year and I am doing, maths, economics, geography and government and politics for my AS's. I am thinking of doing law at uni and if im do epq what would you reccommend thinking about doing, I am contemplating doing the production where you do a charity event or something similair. if doing something like that is a bad idea please tell me and has anyone done the production and what you did or any essay ideas or general directions.

ReputationRep:
    Heh. I wonder what I got for my EPQ. I handed some crappy piece in in the end. I'm guessing it's difficult to fail though?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I've just done my AS levels so will be starting year 13 in September, with a view to studying French and German at University (at the moment I think I'll be applying to Oxford/Cambridge, possibly Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, probably Glasgow and maybe York). I want to do an EPQ which relates to French literature, and after much deliberation I have come up with a potential question, but I need advice on whether it's appropriate/too narrow/too broad/likely to get a good grade or not.
    The question is this: "The work of Francoise Sagan is primarily concerned with the theme of romance." How far is this statement true of three of her most prominent works: 'Bonjour Tristesse,' 'Une Certaine Sourire' and ..............(perhaps the third piece of literature I'll use will be a play but I don't know yet).

any advice would be much appreciated! sorry about the long post!

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, need help with regards to choosing a topic.

i'm hoping to study medicine in uni so decided to do a topic about anaesthetic.
    unfortunately due to dual accreditation, i'm kinda can't do it since it links in with biology (cell receptors, nervous system etc...)
    if i was to do anaesthetic, how can i make it not link to biology alevel course?

if not...
    there's an alternative topic which i want to do which is brain and language.
    this doesn't link in with medicine much.
    if possible, how can i link this topic with medicine?

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Help please... I'm planning to do my EPQ on the Palestine-Israel conflict; but I have no idea what my question should be...

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently planning to start the EPQ study, and have had two clear ideas in mind, but I have no idea whether one is too specific or too broad a subject.

Firstly: a research task regarding the history of discrimination against left-handed people,

Secondly: a research task regarding the work of Arthur Conan Doyle - possibly concerning the success of the Sherlock Holmes works.

(Either this or something concerning a psychological approach to popular fictional characters - e.g. why are psychologically unstable characters exploited in literature?)

I'm currently studying English Lit, Psychology, History and Media Studies and would like an opinion on which would be more suitable to go alongside the studies I'm taking?

I'm slightly at odds over what I want to study at uni, either English Lit (or a variant of English studies) or Law with Psychology, so which would EPQ topic would benefit the most?

Hope someone can help!

ReputationRep:
    for Law, i think the first option fits better seeing as you talk about discrimination which always links into Law regardless (and imo, i'd also suggest to just do Law on its own without psychology at uni). i did the EPQ last easter and it was about economics which was completely different to what i applied for at uni which was Law so in a sense all EPQ options sound great there

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do my EPQ on an area of US Politics as it interests me and I'm going to study politics at uni. Anyone got an ideas of potential questions?

My original idea was a study of liberty and religion in US politics but my teacher said this was too close to the course content (we're doing the units on Ideology and Governing the USA with AQA)

I'm now thinking of doing something on free-market economics in US politics, or the veiled extremism of the modern Republican Party but I'm not sure whether these will conflict with the course either.

Anyone got any idea for potential areas of study in US politics?

ReputationRep:
    Trying to think of what to do the project on. Thought about something along the lines of the mechanics behind showjumping and how they affect the trajectory of a horse over the jump, and thereby chances of like success in competitions?

might be a stupid idea, and im not sure, if i were to do it, how to phrase the title so it like sounds better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insertuserhere)
    I'm looking to do my EPQ on an area of US Politics as it interests me and I'm going to study politics at uni. Anyone got an ideas of potential questions?

My original idea was a study of liberty and religion in US politics but my teacher said this was too close to the course content (we're doing the units on Ideology and Governing the USA with AQA)

I'm now thinking of doing something on free-market economics in US politics, or the veiled extremism of the modern Republican Party but I'm not sure whether these will conflict with the course either.

Anyone got any idea for potential areas of study in US politics?
    i just finished A-level politics, did british for AS and American for A2, and i can say that unless you do A-level economics (i do/did) then free-market economics in US politics will be a very difficult topic to do in enough detail for a 5000 word essay

here are some topics in US politics which i would find interesting to do:

Pressure groups activity/influence in US politics/government e.g. iron triangles, revolving door syndrome, comparing Dalh Theory vs. C. Wright. Mills

Imperial presidency and Imperilled presidency - an interesting topic comparing the relative strenghts of presidents in foreign and domestic endeavours - this would be particularly interesting if you considered a revivial of the imperial presidency under Obama e.g. use of drones, assasination of Bin Laden as well as his Executive Order passed on March 16 2012 (an extremley interesting read if you have any interest in US politics)

House vs. Senate arguements - a good Congressional topic - which is more powerful/prestigous etc....

just a few topics off the top of my head that i would find fun to do

i did my EPQ on the affects of Muslim immigration in Swedish society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThumbsUp)
    Hey I did extended project (epq) last year! it can be quite long to do depending on what subject you pick but its definitely worth it.

I did something related to malaria and drugs since i want to do pharmacy, and then i wrote in on my personal statement and when i had interviews i was asked quite a few times about what i learnt in my epq, so it is helpful to do a topic in your chosen course at uni

you wouldnt have to pick something completely medical related it could have a link, mine was more to do with genetically engineering mosquitos and i wrote about how they could be classed as pharmaceuticals (y)
    Hey,
    Im interested in doin pharmacy too and was looking into doing malaria too!!!What was your actual title because its soo hard to start researching from scratch, Also if you could list any books you used or research- I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks for any help in advance
    Abbie
    P.s Which uni are you studying pharmacy at????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ACJ~)
    Hey,
    Im interested in doin pharmacy too and was looking into doing malaria too!!!What was your actual title because its soo hard to start researching from scratch, Also if you could list any books you used or research- I would really appreciate it!
    Thanks for any help in advance
    Abbie
    P.s Which uni are you studying pharmacy at????
    hey ive pm'd you

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.