Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Who here is taking this subject to A-level?
    Meee. Although I think with CCEA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhaha_6)
    I did those too!!
    Which one of the 2 questions did you do for the conflict question (the yellow palm or hawk roosting?)
    I did the yellow palm...felt there wasn't much to talk about 'power' in any other poem than hawk roosting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FruitTwist)
    in the unseen did anyone highlight the title? it said 'to A daughter leaving home' .. not MY daughter leaving home this could show how the mother felt as if she was losing her daughter, her daughter was becoming her own person?? is this right?
    That seems valid and quite exploratory. There is no real or wrong answer, the examiner is basically marking you on how fluent you are with your points and how lost you get within the poem. It's your opinion as you've never seen/studied the poem before so they can't mark you down on any point you make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alleykat606)
    I did the yellow palm...felt there wasn't much to talk about 'power' in any other poem than hawk roosting
    Oh I did the power question... Apparently the grade boundaries are low but they super strict with marking

ReputationRep:
    One point I made about the unseen was how teaching your child to ride a bike is stereotypically the fathers job in the parental relationship, this could imply that a father figure was not around and the mother had to take on both roles strengthening their relationship as they have to rely on one another as a support network, subsequently making it more difficult for the mother to let go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayzor97)
    I did What did you say?
    I talked about how the wife in The Manhunt is hoping to 'find' her husband once again after 'losing' him to the terrors of war. I talked about the different metaphors that were used in each couplet and how there were many tentative gestures used on her behalf in order to 'find' her husband again. I also talked about how not all the couplets rhyme and how this reflects their fragmented relationship but eventually, her wishes are partially fulfilled as she does come 'close' to finding him at the end. I also talked about the meaning of the title and how it linked with the hopes of the wife searching for her husband.
    For Born Yesterday, I talked about how he wishes her unconventional things and how he disregards cliched attributes. I talked about the stanza lengths and the 'catching of happiness' quote. I also compared it to the story of Sleeping Beauty lol and how they all wished her these 'perfect' traits yet in the poem, it shows that you won't necessarily be happy if you possess these qualities such as 'beauty'. I talked about the title and how it could imply a sense of naivety in regards to the people who wish her these attributes and they don't actually understand what actually is needed for a person to be happy.
    I chose this question cause I could make up more about Born Yesterday and I was confident in The Manhunt. I knew very little about the Sonnet so I completely ignored that. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMia)
    In Section A, Character and Voice, did anyone compare Les Grands Seignors' with 'The River God'? :beard: Wish we could get our results now...AAAAH! I've not got a good feeling about this at all! :afraid:
    i did!! and i know a couple of other from my school that did too my teacher said the best one to compare it to was my last duchess, but i love LGS so i compared it to that don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhaha_6)
    Oh I did the power question... Apparently the grade boundaries are low but they super strict with marking
    Ah interesting what did you compare it with?

ReputationRep:
    I did Of Mice and Men, and An Inspector Calls.
    I didn't quite like the question - how do you respond to the ending of An Inspector Calls but I did it nonetheless.
    For poetry we did the conflict. I didn't do the power question, but I felt like I did because comparing 'Hawk Roosting' to 'Flag' would have been good.

I'm expected an A*, but I really don't feel like I got anywhere near that. Felt so pressured last minute, I'm thinking I walked out of those exams with a B. :c

-RB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieMegan1997)
    One point I made about the unseen was how teaching your child to ride a bike is stereotypically the fathers job in the parental relationship, this could imply that a father figure was not around and the mother had to take on both roles strengthening their relationship as they have to rely on one another as a support network, subsequently making it more difficult for the mother to let go.
    :eek: Nice point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    i did!! and i know a couple of other from my school that did too my teacher said the best one to compare it to was my last duchess, but i love LGS so i compared it to that don't worry
    YAAAAY! Thank you so much for letting me, I was having a right paddy! Pheeeeeeeew! Me too, there are so many things to say about it...yipeeeee, I feel so relieved! :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    Yep, I did that too. I always knew comparing one sonnet with the other would be a logical choice, and managed to say quite a bit about how the 'ideas of love' contrasted. It was a pretty nice question, I hope I did as well as I feel!
    You have literally made me feel so much better, talked all about ideas of love, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie080197)
    You have literally made me feel so much better, talked all about ideas of love, thank you
    A pleasure.

I didn't quite conclude on either the comparison question nor the unseen poem, as I didn't have the time... is this going to put me at a major disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMia)
    YAAAAY! Thank you so much for letting me, I was having a right paddy! Pheeeeeeeew! Me too, there are so many things to say about it...yipeeeee, I feel so relieved! :bubbles:
    haha aw glad i could help did no-one from your school do it?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    haha aw glad i could help did no-one from your school do it?:eek:
    No! Nobody?! I was like...:cry2: :eek3: I was so worried!!! But now to you I'm like...:adore: ! And now thanks to you I'm feeling a bit like this...:happy2: ! Eeheheee...I have to admit the selection of emoticons enthrals me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    i did that too, what did u guys write??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't really remember, but I talked about how she lost all control and power when she got married and this reflected Molloy's views towards marriage. I sort of made everything up as I was writing it :/

ReputationRep:
    I did the conflict cluster for the exam- did anyone else compare Hawk Roosting and Poppies?? Some other people at my school did but no-one seems to have done on here!! :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikolaT)
    A pleasure.

I didn't quite conclude on either the comparison question nor the unseen poem, as I didn't have the time... is this going to put me at a major disadvantage?
    Don't worry- I never really do a conclusion and none of my friends ever do and we all get As and A* in practices so it'll be fine!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by examworrywarts)
    I can't really remember, but I talked about how she lost all control and power when she got married and this reflected Molloy's views towards marriage. I sort of made everything up as I was writing it :/
    hehe that was one of my points to

ReputationRep:
    I THINK IM THE ONLY PERSON WHO COMPARED CASEHISTORY:ALISON (HEAD INJURY) TO THE HORSE WHISPERER LOL. Good to be unique though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.