Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    :five: What is the voting age??
    18. I'm 16 now and I'll be 18 next year (:eek:) so I'll be able to vote in the 2015 General Election provided they don't move it forward into early 2014 (which is highly unlikely).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsjmcgrath)
    18. I'm 16 now and I'll be 18 next year (:eek:) so I'll be able to vote in the 2015 General Election provided they don't move it forward into early 2014 (which is highly unlikely).
    ohhh I don't know if i I will

i'll 18 on 20th feb 2015 oohh so I think I can, although education acts on A levels will have no effect on me then -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vashappeninkira)
    did anyone do the edexcel geography A skills and challenges exam ?//
    Yeah I did that, Coastal Landscapes/Wasteful World, Settlement Change/Tourists World.

ReputationRep:
    I just remembered a conversation I had with a 'friend' before the holidays ..Before reading this you should know that person is very Sheldon-like and believe he knows everything.. but really he is like 5/6th smartest person in school.

Our sixth form director asked him what A levels he will be taking and he said Maths F.Maths Physics and Chemistry, she then said what are you planning to do at university?

his reply..."Oh well i'm going to do Theoretical Physics, and have Medicine as a backup" :facepalm: :facepalm2:

me and the director just looked at each other in disbelief :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I just remembered a conversation I had with a 'friend' before the holidays ..Before reading this you should know that person is very Sheldon-like and believe he knows everything.. but really he is like 5/6th smartest person in school.

Our sixth form director asked him what A levels he will be taking and he said Maths F.Maths Physics and Chemistry, she then said what are you planning to do at university?

his reply..."Oh well i'm going to do Theoretical Physics, and have Medicine as a backup" :facepalm: :facepalm2:

Haha my cousin (same age as me—16) said something like this the other day. We were discussing our A level choices when she mentioned that she wants to be a vet...with human medicine as her 'plan b'! It really did make me giggle

It's strange that such a prestigious career as medicine is some people's backup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyThereHarry)
    Haha my cousin (same age as me—16) said something like this the other day. We were discussing our A level choices when she mentioned that she wants to be a vet...with human medicine as her 'plan b'! It really did make me giggle

It's strange that such a prestigious career as medicine is some people's backup
    I know :lol: you're only allowed one PS you can't have it tailored to medicine AND something else :lol: theres noway you'd get accepted ..some people :L

ReputationRep:
    not really you don't have much patient contact and don't diagnose ... you just cut people up :lol:
    haha enticing!

ReputationRep:
    I love how illusionary just hijacks this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that GCSE's are standardised to fix grade inflation and that's why they invented UMS to be able to move the boundaries and limit (not necessarily fix) the boundaries.

however that's my opinion
    Grade inflation has still occurred while UMS have been in operation.UMS is used to convert marks in an exam session according to the difficulty of the paper, which is assessed through looking at the ability shown by students answering the questions.If students have shown the same ability in the quality of their answers as the previous years then exactly the same will get the same grades and the grade boundaries will be set according to do this.There are other things involved with setting grade boundaries and it is a very complex process but there are other things I know, I know that they also look for large groups of people with particular marks and use these marks and marks close to them as the grade boundaries and exam board members vote on particular grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:

This person should take Biology but its not 100% necessary.Why is Medicine so popular?-this is something that has completely baffled me since I have never ever wanted to do it and I got an A* in Core Science and should get an A* in Additional Science so I could have been able to pursue Medicine, I would have took Triple Science if I was that interested in it though.If you take Chemistry and Biology there are lots and lots of routes other than Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    Yes i was advised to do physics, but i hate it! Sorry, i'm a little fussy!
    If you want to do Engineering it would be very unwise not to take all three of Maths,Further
    Maths and Physics and it is an absolute must to take Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pathosL)
    weird feeling tbh im more curious about my brother as level results in 2 dats lmao
    lol! good luck to your brother and you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    This person should take Biology but its not 100% necessary.Why is Medicine so popular?-this is something that has completely baffled me since I have never ever wanted to do it and I got an A* in Core Science and should get an A* in Additional Science so I could have been able to pursue Medicine, I would have took Triple Science if I was that interested in it though.If you take Chemistry and Biology there are lots and lots of routes other than Medicine.
    That's not the point dalek, the point is how can medicine be your back up? You have to be fully committed to it and how could possibly get the required work experience for both mention them both in your PS?

And if he didn't get the grades for theoretical physics they can't be good enough for medicine !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe--)
    It was the same for me last year. Nothing you can do really, except forget about results and enjoy the rest of your summer!
    Yep that's my plan. I'll have to just forget all about it ^_^ I don't mind too much, and I'm not stressed. I just would have preferred to get my results earlier ^_~

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Engineering it would be very unwise not to take all three of Maths,Further
    Maths and Physics and it is an absolute must to take Maths and Physics.
    I dont think i want to go into Engineering, i have been thinking more along the lines of Economics actually But to study Economics at University i will have to change my A level options to include Further Maths- and i am not sure if i can handle such a hard subject! So i have still got a lot of thinking to do...

ReputationRep:
    The reason the Government have introduced this is to reflect the requirements of universities, who want pupils to have GCSEs in a good amount of respected subjects and there are some universities penalising applicants for no MFL GCSE.
    This is nonsense, they only brought it in to increase the number of people taking languages - they know that students will think that because something has a name it has importance, when in reality it is just a name. No universities would penalise you for not taking a language, don't be ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the point dalek, the point is how can medicine be your back up? You have to be fully committed to it and how could possibly get the required work experience for both mention them both in your PS?

And if he didn't get the grades for theoretical physics they can't be good enough for medicine !
    Both courses require different skills so thats not necessarily true.This person might decide not to do Theoretical Physics anymore so Medicine is his backup.He could do mediocre at Further Maths and not get on the course for it but Further Maths isn't required for Medicine and often not wanted.I doubt I would get the grades for Art but I'm going to try to get the grades fro Maths-just because one degree is generally harder to get onto and applicants are more competitive doesn't mean that is always going to be harder for one applicant to get into Medicine compared to every other degree although a lot of the time that is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what is happening to our results right now? I reckon they'll have completed all the marking and checking, so will they be setting grade boundaries or will that have already been done as well?
    It's scary thinking that our fate has probably already been decided!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr-96)
    I dont think i want to go into Engineering, i have been thinking more along the lines of Economics actually But to study Economics at University i will have to change my A level options to include Further Maths- and i am not sure if i can handle such a hard subject! So i have still got a lot of thinking to do...
    You definitely don't need further maths at a-level to study economics. My brother did maths, business and economics, and politics (with AS physics) and he got into Manchester to do economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpneed)
    This is nonsense, they only brought it in to increase the number of people taking languages - they know that students will think that because something has a name it has importance, when in reality it is just a name. No universities would penalise you for not taking a language, don't be ridiculous.
    UCL is an example of a university that require you to have taken a language and although, there are sometimes arrangements that can be made to take the language GCSE during the course thats certainly a penalisation. In the future, more universities are going to value languages as the world becomes even more interconnected.My language teachers did exaggerate things but they still had an important point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.