Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by TheEssence)
    lamela plays on the right cutting in, or in the centre
    Yeah, I should have put him on the right with Cazorla on the left - not sure what I was thinking. I think I was thrown off by the notion of having him replace Podolski in particular.

That said, I don't think he'd have a great deal of difficulty adjusting to the left flank; he seems to be that sort of positionally flexible player (in terms of general traits; of course it's very difficult to know for sure until you try it). :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that thinks wilshire should play alongside a DM the way shweisteiger does at bayern???

I think he lacks the technical ability and goal scoring to be a proper CAM like cazorla and is better as a box to box player rather than up top. The middle 3 should be a new DM, wilshire and cazorla

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Am I the only one that thinks wilshire should play alongside a DM the way shweisteiger does at bayern???

I think he lacks the technical ability and goal scoring to be a proper CAM like cazorla and is better as a box to box player rather than up top. The middle 3 should be a new DM, wilshire and cazorla
    thats where he played in 2010-11 next to song but this year it didn't work because arteta didnt play like song but ramsey worked with arteta

If we buy a new dm it would be good to rotate with wilshere-new dm and ramsey-arteta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    So I guess the idea of isco coming to arsenal has been squashed, what a shame.

If villa is coming to england where is he gonna if its not arsenal or spurs?
    We never had a chance with Isco in the first place, you have to be realistic with transfer targets. I'm glad we took two quality players from Malaga in Santi and Nacho. I imagine Isco will go to Madrid, I definitely would if given the choice between them and City.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt mind Isco for 25m tbh.

Not priority however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    We never had a chance with Isco in the first place, you have to be realistic with transfer targets. I'm glad we took two quality players from Malaga in Santi and Nacho. I imagine Isco will go to Madrid, I definitely would if given the choice between them and City.
    Nacho is average, although a decent second choice LB. I remember the hype from Arsenal fans about him when he signed in January. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Nacho is average, although a decent second choice LB. I remember the hype from Arsenal fans about him when he signed in January. :laugh:
    He's a Spanish international who is still adapting to English football. Had one bad game so far and the rest have been solid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    That's a good one, Been found out in one game but apart from that he's been good. If he was average Chelsea would not have been after him as a replacement for Ca$hley (best LB in the league last 10 years) when there doubts as to whether he would sign an extension.

ReputationRep:
    8 years without trophy. Of course he should go big, duh!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Love betekes comments about saying that if villa want me to stay they cant necessarily do so, then going onto say that if he wanted to go to a club like arsenal both teams would come out as winners from it.
    Clearly he wants to come, just get the guy.

im sure its got something to do with hazard and lukaku being in london tbh

ReputationRep:
    Some quite good young talent coming through the ranks though!

ReputationRep:
    The issue for Arsenal (and Tottenham and any club just outside the big 3) is that if you don't have the financial muscle to compete with the big 3 in terms of transfer fees and wages then pressure from fans to spend as big as you can means you just end up spending biggish on players in the next tier down in terms of quality. Which means you stay the next tier down behind the big 3.

Wenger has spent quite big in recent years, Cazorla cost £20m, Giroud was £13m, Ox-Chamberlain £12m, Podolski £11m, Gervinho, Arteta, Mertesacker, Koscielny were £10m etc. Some good players but how many of those would the top 3 have been interested in? To spend money that would have made a difference Arsenal needed to be able to drop £20m plus transfer fees and exorbitant wages on guys like Hazard, Oscar, Aguero, Yaya Toure etc, if they haven't got that financial muscle then they are not going to knock off the top sides whether or not they spend as big as they can or run a tighter ship.

The worst thing Arsenal could do is try to show a signal that they are at least trying to spend, by lashing out more and more £10-15m signings and ending up accumulating journeymen. This is what Newcastle and Liverpool did when they were trying to knock on the door of the big time.

When Arsenal were at the top, they weren't megaspenders like City or Chelsea, but they were certainly as powerful as any club in England in terms of not being outbid and not having predators raid their best players. When they signed Bergkamp for instance (before Wenger) he would have been in a world XI and was probably the equivalent of signing Gotze now.

I think Arsenal will spend quite big but the agenda will not be about breaking the top 3, that is not going to happen, the agenda will be about staying ahead of the rest in the fight for 4th. So some players will come in to shore up their superiority over Spurs and Everton.

ReputationRep:
    both

promote Campbell, myachi, yennaris

buy: j.Martinez/Benteke, gokhan

make tommy v a DM

ReputationRep:
    Spend big. They have the cash to compete with the big 3 and it's now or never for Arsene Wenger in his mid sixties.

ReputationRep:
    When people on here call for us to sign Benteke are they talking main striker or for squad depth? Personally I think we should at least try to aim higher. Look for a striker that can link up play, bring others into the game and drop deep from time to time, but also create something out of nothing. Is he someone that can at least allow us to challenge for the title? In my opinion NO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    When people on here call for us to sign Benteke are they talking main striker or for squad depth? Personally I think we should at least try to aim higher. Look for a striker that can link up play, bring others into the game and drop deep from time to time, but also create something out of nothing. Is he someone that can at least allow us to challenge for the title? In my opinion NO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. Benteke is just flavour of the month. No doubt he is a good player who could be great but we have a similar player in Giroud. Also he is hardly proven quality, he has had one good season in English football :rolleyes:

That's why I want a player like Jovetic rather than Higuain/Benteke/Soladado so that they can link up play. Teams that park the bus are going to relish playing us if we have a front 3 of Podolski-E.g. higuain- Walcott because they don't have the creativity themselves to break down tight defences consistently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Exactly. Benteke is just flavour of the month. No doubt he is a good player who could be great but we have a similar player in Giroud. Also he is hardly proven quality, he has had one good season in English football :rolleyes:

That's why I want a player like Jovetic rather than Higuain/Benteke/Soladado so that they can link up play. Teams that park the bus are going to relish playing us if we have a front 3 of Podolski-E.g. higuain- Walcott because they don't have the creativity themselves to break down tight defences consistently.
    jovetic+benteke could be a lethal combination up front..

with jovetic just behind..

- though ofcourse it doesnt fit in with arsenals formation, but its one id love to see!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    jovetic+benteke could be a lethal combination up front..

with jovetic just behind..

- though ofcourse it doesnt fit in with arsenals formation, but its one id love to see!
    Btw what I said was based on us getting just one striker. Jovetic + any of those other strikers would be a great bit of business. I don't think Jovetic would play behind the striker (unless forced by injuries) if he joined us tbh, I think he would spend most of his time playing as ST or on the left wing.

ReputationRep:
    No one signing will help us challenge for the title unless its messi...

obviously we're gonna need more players

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's probably too early to say he can be part of a title winning side but the way he regularly bullies premier league defences in his first season at a very young age makes me think he could, and he can drop deep and bring others into play he has serious technical ability

(Original post by J.Star)

Jovetic is the flavour of the month if anything no one has even really watched the bloke beyond a game here and there even if not everyone will admit that, but as soon as someone said we might get him on twitter hes suddenly the second coming ? I said after benteke smashed Liverpool at anield in december that he would be a good signing so he must have been flavour of the month for 5 months now

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.