Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeHarg)
    I'm going to Leeds Beckett on a place deferred from last year
    I got an offer from Leeds and I managed to defer until sept 2016!! So thrilled as it means I can start my new job and not have to immediately hand in my notice... You will be the year above by the time I start!

Congratulations for everyone who have decisions to make. Everyone else - don't give up!! Take all the opportunities to strengthen your application and try again/go through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzydizzyyy)
    Wish I didn't waste an application applying to Cardiff. To me a place that doesn't interview is saying it is looking for someone purely on their academics tbh - a personal statement shows little since most people have 283847 people help them write it anyway! (I'm just bitter because I didn't read their requirements properly on the website and they refused me because I hae GCSE Maths at grade C and they want B) most RIDICULOUS reason I've ever heard!
    I'll have to disagree there. Many people put a LOT of work and thought into their personal statement and write it completely independently. Those who don't, if I may say so, might not yet be motivated or mature enough for a course leading to a health care profession. And academics are inevitable for this challenging degree, unfortunately. Saying that, I got an offer for the course at the very 'academic' University of Manchester years ago that was most certainly not based on academic grades (because my a-levels equivalent grades were rather embarrassing), but on relevant personal and work experience. And that was without interview, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ☕️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HowayGuapa)
    I got an offer from Leeds and I managed to defer until sept 2016!! So thrilled as it means I can start my new job and not have to immediately hand in my notice... You will be the year above by the time I start!

Congratulations for everyone who have decisions to make. Everyone else - don't give up!! Take all the opportunities to strengthen your application and try again/go through clearing.
    That's good news you're able to defer til next year. Good luck with your new job 🍀😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clivia)
    I'll have to disagree there. Many people put a LOT of work and thought into their personal statement and write it completely independently. Those who don't, if I may say so, might not yet be motivated or mature enough for a course leading to a health care profession. And academics are inevitable for this challenging degree, unfortunately. Saying that, I got an offer for the course at the very 'academic' University of Manchester years ago that was most certainly not based on academic grades (because my a-levels equivalent grades were rather embarrassing), but on relevant personal and work experience. And that was without interview, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough! That's just my view. And when the personal statement is just something to get your foot in the door I would not blame some people for getting others to help write it!! It's a dog eat dog world when the course is so competitive so I would not call them immature because of that. Just as you assumed someone getting help for a personal statement may not be mature or ready for the course, a uni cannot make any assumptions, they just have to believe what they say in the application. When most the time - meeting someone in person gets a waaaaay better judge of character, that's literally all I'm saying. You wouldn't see many people getting jobs without job interviews...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luci444)
    Ah that's silly to base on your gcse, and you passed anyway! I was really shocked when they gave me an offer Without an interview
    Yeah I thought they would have gotten over GCSES haha maths was just my worst subject I mentioned it to a 2nd year student SLT and she was shocked they even cared about maths! But oh well I'm happy with the offers I got! Ah congratulations!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesca89)
    As far as I know it will be by the end of March
    Thanks, just sick of constantly checking track for updates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madagascar)
    There are a few places that don't interview, and DMU was one of them until this year. In all fairness, whilst academics isn't everything, it is a hard course so a certain standard is required, but Cardiff certainly don't have the highest entry criteria so it obviously isn't all they are interested in. Some places want maths, and others english, a foreign language or biology; it just shows that each uni is looking for something different. A personal statement and reference shows more than just academic ability anyway. I can understand your bitterness, no one likes to be turned down, but part of proving yourself a good applicant is surely researching the uni & the course properly?! With regards to personal statement, I worked long and hard on mine, totally independently and feel very proud of it. I appreciate you may think it shows little, however I think the many people who have been offered interviews or uni places based on their statement will disagree.
    Yeah DMU said in my interview that they had no funding for interviews until this year - but they are very glad to have it now apparently! Yeah of course I should have taken their entry requirements more seriously, I think I assumed that because I am an older student with work experience and various qualifications that they would not care about a Maths GCSE I did back in the day!! Just seems bizarre to me any course that does not interview, and quite ironic really, since the course is all about communication! Can't really judge someone's communication skills from a personal statement! But of course if that's the way some unis choose to do it then of course I can imagine it would leave you feeling proud about your personal statement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aah28)
    Thanks, just sick of constantly checking track for updates!
    Urgh I know this is exactly how I feel. I've stopped checking it now though and I just wait for emails. Haha. My mind couldn't cope with the torment of the waiting time logging in to track lmao

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone go to BCU yesterday for an interview? if so how did you feel it went? I really liked the idea of the block placements and all the other things they had to offer. And I felt the interview wasn't too bad either.

Has anyone had offers from BCU recently?

Its so hard to keep up with this group with all the messages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeen93)
    Did anyone go to BCU yesterday for an interview? if so how did you feel it went? I really liked the idea of the block placements and all the other things they had to offer. And I felt the interview wasn't too bad either.

Has anyone had offers from BCU recently?

Its so hard to keep up with this group with all the messages!
    Glad it went well, I was wondering when your interview was. There's only been a couple of offers on here from Birmingham recently.

Yes the course sounds really good. I really liked the fact that it is based on a social model and also the block placements, which I can hopefully do closer to home.

I know there's more interviews to come. Hope you hear back soon,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    Glad it went well, I was wondering when your interview was. There's only been a couple of offers on here from Birmingham recently.

Yes the course sounds really good. I really liked the fact that it is based on a social model and also the block placements, which I can hopefully do closer to home.

I know there's more interviews to come. Hope you hear back soon,
    Thanks for getting in touch! Yeah it sounds really good to be honest. I found the writing space was too small for my writing, so I hope that it doesnt go against me!

How far will you be travelling to BCU? I am probably just going to get the straight bus route into the Hagley road and walk from 5 ways. Do you live further out than Telford? I was shocked to hear them say we may have to relocate for placements, but I don't suppose its that bad if you can get the funding from the NHS for accommodation etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimeen93)
    Thanks for getting in touch! Yeah it sounds really good to be honest. I found the writing space was too small for my writing, so I hope that it doesnt go against me!

How far will you be travelling to BCU? I am probably just going to get the straight bus route into the Hagley road and walk from 5 ways. Do you live further out than Telford? I was shocked to hear them say we may have to relocate for placements, but I don't suppose its that bad if you can get the funding from the NHS for accommodation etc.
    I didn't have enough room to write either as there seemed too much to say!

I live very close to Telford and luckily I can walk to the local station. The train isn't too bad, but will obviously have to get from New Street to College either by train to Fiveways, (but it's quite a long walk in addition to the two trains), or else get a bus. Will probably try both.

I think the bit about relocating is just that they cover such a wide geographical area but I'm hoping not many people will want to go to Telford, so that I can! I have spoken to 3 third years, two were placed fairly local to the College and one did her placement in Telford. I do think we can claim expenses for placement if need be.

Lets hope you don't have to wait too long for them to get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shropshirelass51)
    I didn't have enough room to write either as there seemed too much to say!

I live very close to Telford and luckily I can walk to the local station. The train isn't too bad, but will obviously have to get from New Street to College either by train to Fiveways, (but it's quite a long walk in addition to the two trains), or else get a bus. Will probably try both.

I think the bit about relocating is just that they cover such a wide geographical area but I'm hoping not many people will want to go to Telford, so that I can! I have spoken to 3 third years, two were placed fairly local to the College and one did her placement in Telford. I do think we can claim expenses for placement if need be.

Lets hope you don't have to wait too long for them to get back to you.

Someone who caught the train from wolverhampton who I met yesterday said that she got off the train at new street and there is a bus which takes about 15 minutes to get into edgebaston, so you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eskimok1)
    Rejection from DMU following interview
    Sorry to hear that, hope you're alright!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anomea)
    Ahh I got an offer from DMU it was my last offer
    Congrats, you gonna use it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzydizzyyy)
    Fair enough! That's just my view. And when the personal statement is just something to get your foot in the door I would not blame some people for getting others to help write it!! It's a dog eat dog world when the course is so competitive so I would not call them immature because of that. Just as you assumed someone getting help for a personal statement may not be mature or ready for the course, a uni cannot make any assumptions, they just have to believe what they say in the application. When most the time - meeting someone in person gets a waaaaay better judge of character, that's literally all I'm saying. You wouldn't see many people getting jobs without job interviews...
    I agree with you completely!

Personal statements don't show anything other than you're able to write and represent yourself well on paper which is surely a pre-requisite for a course like this?

At the interview DMU said the reason they're now interviewing is cause they believe the statement alone isn't enough because (as you say) they get a lot of outside input! I know my first time around applying for Linguistics nearly everyone other than me wrote my statement!

I think for a course that places so much emphasis on communication and aiding it, to not interview is silly!

It's like saying all universities should be 100% coursework based because people are obviously putting all of their time and effort into it and it represents them accurately without exams! An interview is like an exam, it's about the mindset you're in on the day, what you know and how you represent yourself and your time! For a SaLT student not to be able to excel at an interview is counterproductive IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)

Personal statements don't show anything other than you're able to write and represent yourself well on paper which is surely a pre-requisite for a course like this?

At the interview DMU said the reason they're now interviewing is cause they believe the statement alone isn't enough because (as you say) they get a lot of outside input! I know my first time around applying for Linguistics nearly everyone other than me wrote my statement!

I think for a course that places so much emphasis on communication and aiding it, to not interview is silly!

It's like saying all universities should be 100% coursework based because people are obviously putting all of their time and effort into it and it represents them accurately without exams! An interview is like an exam, it's about the mindset you're in on the day, what you know and how you represent yourself and your time! For a SaLT student not to be able to excel at an interview is counterproductive IMO.
    I fully agree that interviewing for this course makes a whole lot of sense and is probably the best way of assessing a candidate's suitability. I just wouldn't say it is the ONLY good way of selecting candidates. Just like you said, interviews are like exams, some people get nervous, don't feel well that day etc. and might still be excellent candidates. These people may put a lot of work and thought into their personal statements, write them independently (as I naively thought you should) and wouldn't appreciate others that might not have taken their statements as seriously disregarding their efforts.
    Others are great at representing themselves and communicating convincingly but might lack the relevant experience or academic skills. People are different, universities are different, they all select differently and we all choose differently

(Personally, I actually like interviews too but much prefer exams to coursework 😁)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Finally someone who gets me!!! :P yeah I mean don't get me wrong I slaved over my personal statement for months and really tried to get it perfect. But at the end of the day, like you say, interviews make sense. If you get nervous and don't perform well at interviews I would personally think you're not ready for the course - since pretty soon upon starting the course we would be out on placements!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats, you gonna use it?
    I've put DMU as my insurance and then Reading as my firm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.