Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou_S)
    I think UCAS automatically counts it as a rejection if that happens I hope they sort themselves out sharpish for you! Was it one that you really wanted?
    It's UCL. Yes I kind of preferred to do it in London in the first place but now I'm a t frustrated by their efficiency given the fact that they promised on their web that they'll give the applicants a result within 2 days after the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    I'm worried about exactly the same thing!

Latin, what about you?
    Oh wow! Latin sounds cool, I wish I wasn't so useless with languages! I'm doing primary

Are any other Cambridge Pgce people got any vague ideas about housing yet? I'm kinda dubious about moving into halls again..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fayfeb)
    Oh wow! Latin sounds cool, I wish I wasn't so useless with languages! I'm doing primary

Are any other Cambridge Pgce people got any vague ideas about housing yet? I'm kinda dubious about moving into halls again..
    I'm only planning on living in halls if I really have to (put Johns/Trinity as my choices). Ideally would consider a Postgrad/PGCE house share as I was going to get a car with my bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisyhuang1230)
    It's UCL. Yes I kind of preferred to do it in London in the first place but now I'm a t frustrated by their efficiency given the fact that they promised on their web that they'll give the applicants a result within 2 days after the interview.
    Try to contact them and make them aware that the deadline is almost up. Also are you certain you have taken into account the xmas holiday period. Thankfully the ucas track system will give you a date at which point they need to respond.

It's usual under the table with your choices.

I hope this helps, if it was me I would also be bouncing off the walls.

I'm somewhat in the same boat, I have accepted one of my options but I now have to wait for a second interview with the accredited university for the PGCE part of the school direct programme.

ReputationRep:
    Any one applied to wolverhampton?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    I'm only planning on living in halls if I really have to (put Johns/Trinity as my choices). Ideally would consider a Postgrad/PGCE house share as I was going to get a car with my bursary.
    I'd really like to live in halls (Homerton is my first choice). However, I'm worried about my placement being far away. If one of my placements is far away, I'll probably try to rent somewhere near it and live at home the rest of the year (I live about a 15 minute cycle from the FoE). Wish I hadn't done my work experience at the two schools that happen to be closest to where I live!
    Do you think I can apply for college accommodation but warn them I might have to drop out? I know it's generally allocated of a first come, first serve basis, and if I wait until we find out placements, I bet everywhere will be gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolineherts)
    I have no idea what it is they want , is it in relation to our voluntary work or life experiences ... I'm stuck too 🙈 I'm working as a TA so don't know whether to use something I have done at school
    I think that's a good shout It's not worth all the stressing imo!

ReputationRep:
    Passed my Numeracy test today!
    I found this video really helpful for practicing the mental arithmetic, plus the DfE website has a PDF of all the areas of numeracy that are covered in the test here, which took me some digging around. It's helpful for revision of certain topics.

Now all I have to do is get some more in-class experience, send off a few more forms and finish my degree!

ReputationRep:
    I sent my UCAS form away on the 6th (late I know) and UCL got back to me the day after to offer me an interview! Whilst I'm thrilled with this, I haven't heard anything back from my other two choices: Newcastle or St Mary's. I'm wondering if that is a bad sign and they should have got backed to me already or if UCL were just really fast to offer me an interview.

Also, if you get offered a PGCE place, is it possible to defer? I have an interview at the end of this month to spend a year as a TA in a school in Kuala Lumpur which would be an amazing opportunity if I was able to get it, but I don't know what it would mean if I was also lucky enough to be granted a PGCE primary place.

Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone with an offer from Exeter accepted them yet? I firmed my offer today for Secondary English!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeebeany)
    I sent my UCAS form away on the 6th (late I know) and UCL got back to me the day after to offer me an interview! Whilst I'm thrilled with this, I haven't heard anything back from my other two choices: Newcastle or St Mary's. I'm wondering if that is a bad sign and they should have got backed to me already or if UCL were just really fast to offer me an interview.
    I wouldn't worry, it just sounds like UCL are being very speedy! My first interview offer (from Sussex) came after 6 days, and I considered that to be quick.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to do the Primary & Early Years PGCE course. I really want to work with the early years group in nurseries.

I am also a former children's nurse and have worked with babies and children of all ages. My reasons for wanting a career change is based on a lot of reasons, but mainly i miss having that individual one to one relationship with children. In nursing its very target and audit driven, the current conditions in the NHS are not great either. I do feel that I have a more creative and academic mind, and unfortunately this is something I realised a long time ago.

I always wanted a career that centred children and I have lost my heart for nursing. Short staffing and lack of sufficient breaks is starting to take its toll on me. I do feel that my nursing experience is a great focal point in an interview as my knowledge and skills will be highly applicable. Above all, I want to do a job that makes me happy and puts a spring in my step.

I also have a degree in English Language & Literature and funnily enough I applied to do a PGCE in primary teaching a few years ago but did not have any relevant experience of working with primary children. I don't think I was too sure of what direction I wanted to go in, but now I am sure that I really want to work on a more individual level with children, in a creative learning environment.

I am struggling through to gain some voluntary experience in a nursery. I was looking to try and get a paid jo as a nursery assistant.

Does anyone have any advice for early years applicants?

Thankyou

Sarra

ReputationRep:
    Apologies to be hogging this thread.

Is there anyone who could possibly help me with preparation for the QTS numeracy test.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of us on here that are absolutely scared to death of the numeracy test. As a former nurse, I have to use calculations but we use calculators.

Its the mental maths that is scaring me the most. :/

ReputationRep:
    The qts support group on Facebook will help

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who have taken the maths skills test. Did any of the practice questions come up or were they all completely different?? I've been getting between 57-67 in practice ones. My test is on the 26th. Im fitting in 2 hours of Maths a day. 1hour revision and doing one practice test on numeracy ready per day. Im so worried im going to fail tia

ReputationRep:
    My advise and exactly what I did was identify what is your weaknesses and focus on those.

Also if your main concern is with mental arithmatic bare in mind that you will get given a non-permanant board marker and laminated card so you can do your working out.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodiek28)
    For those of you who have taken the maths skills test. Did any of the practice questions come up or were they all completely different?? I've been getting between 57-67 in practice ones. My test is on the 26th. Im fitting in 2 hours of Maths a day. 1hour revision and doing one practice test on numeracy ready per day. Im so worried im going to fail tia
    Jodie, im really nervous too. Ive signed up to numeracy ready and purchased a book called 'pass the qta numeracy test'

Can I just say that I am a former staff nurse, and we don't do half of the calculations that I have seen here. Its frightening.

I need something which demonstrates the actual calculations and working out. Some practice questions come with the answers, but then I am sitting there scratching my head as to how they arrived at the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodiek28)
    Are you completing the online practice test on the DfE website, if so I understood the pass mark was 63% which means you are around the mark to pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinkletoes13)
    Jodie, im really nervous too. Ive signed up to numeracy ready and purchased a book called 'pass the qta numeracy test'

Can I just say that I am a former staff nurse, and we don't do half of the calculations that I have seen here. Its frightening.

I need something which demonstrates the actual calculations and working out. Some practice questions come with the answers, but then I am sitting there scratching my head as to how they arrived at the answer.
    If you go on the DfE website for the online practice tests there is a button that talks you through how to get the correct answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayleybobs)
    If you go on the DfE website for the online practice tests there is a button that talks you through how to get the correct answer
    Thankyou

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.