Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In reference to Fez's political death..

That's still our national anthem in TSR. Beautiful song.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Although he isn't actually Mayor until Monday.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    That's still our national anthem in TSR. Beautiful song.
    Shameful laziness from when you idiots made us a republic without even bothering going to referendum.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I was actually about to say, unless you voted for Fez...!!

Saracen's Fez - please have as much beer as you want
    As neutral Chair running the election I didn't vote for either so I'll have 3 large Guinnesses to get over the shock:yep:

ReputationRep:
    In reference to Fez's political death..

That was beautiful!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    That was beautiful!
    It's much better with all three verses being sung rather than none of them, although if I could go back to one place on one day in history that would probably be it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One could only imagine the level of emotion from the entire nation at the time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    By "this time" I assume RL when Churchill passed rather than RL now or TSR land now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    By "this time" I assume RL when Churchill passed rather than RL now or TSR land now.
    "at the time". RL.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "at the time". RL.
    Sorry, misread, still think I'm a bit tired from the last few days.

Certainly is so, even though we are over half a century on that is one of the few videos I know of that will cause me to well up, and it's part of the reason if I could only choose one place and day in history to go to it would certainly be very high up on the list of considerations.

ReputationRep:
    Probably as much as when Princess Diana died but kept largely private.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Probably as much as when Princess Diana died but kept largely private.
    No. Diana's funeral was one of the most viewed events in history, but arguably when you start throwing context in to things, mainly the greater ability to follow Diana, Churchill was far bigger. 25m vs 35m viewers in Britain, more than 300m morein Europe alone (that figure sounds dodgy tbh), only China didn't send an emissary. Hell, Churchill was one of the few commoners to lay in state, the last time before hand being 1898 for Gladstone. Churchill was the last commoner to receive a state funeral, even Diana didn't get that (and Thatcher refused it, one reason being that she did not believe she was worthy of it as it would, in her eyes, give her a similar stature as Churchill).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No. Diana's funeral was one of the most viewed events in history, but arguably when you start throwing context in to things, mainly the greater ability to follow Diana, Churchill was far bigger. 25m vs 35m viewers in Britain, more than 300m morein Europe alone (that figure sounds dodgy tbh), only China didn't send an emissary. Hell, Churchill was one of the few commoners to lay in state, the last time before hand being 1898 for Gladstone. Churchill was the last commoner to receive a state funeral, even Diana didn't get that (and Thatcher refused it, one reason being that she did not believe she was worthy of it as it would, in her eyes, give her a similar stature as Churchill).
    I'm one of the last people to praise Thatcher or anything like that. But her approval rating in my head has gone from something low to something low plus one .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I'm one of the last people to praise Thatcher or anything like that. But her approval rating in my head has gone from - something low to - something low plus one .
    David Davis made, as he often does, a rather interesting point last night that Thatcher didn't so much do well because she was popular as a politician, but because the people, whether they agreed with her or not, had confidence in her. You want a leader who deal effectively with the unexpected problem at an unexpected point in their tenure, in that regard the Falklands War was probably the most important thing for Thatcher's career (her handling of the strikes also being well up there, showing conviction) and consequently, imo, one of the most important things for the recent history of this country.

She did give other reasons though, one being cost and the other to avoid divisive debate in Parliament given they would have had to approve the spending on the occasion.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think we can guess how you voted
    I'm saying nothing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wonder who will be the next political titan, it's coming up on time for them
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Speaking of another lovely song

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Speaking of another lovely song

x

Sadly my ipod is in recovery mode so can't have any of these cracking tunes until I next go home and sort it all out
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I wonder who will be the next political titan, it's coming up on time for them
    There are a few mps with some potential. Hilary Benn, Heidi Allen come to mind. Though Hilary wont be in power to be that titan, Heidi has a long career ahead of her and the popularity to go very far.

#Heidi4PM2020

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.