Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    jneill,

Okay, I don't know what's going on.

My mum just got called by one of the teachers in my school that she should come to results day to be interviewed with me for two newspapers. I also have to wear my secondary school's uniform.

What the hell does this mean? It mustn't be a sign since schools find out on Wednesday. Is it possible for Cambridge to have told them in particular?

If it's not a sign, then how can they seriously think I won't be pressured when there is a possibility I go to results day and get rejected. I am even more stressed about results day now.
    (Original post by Platopus)
    I heard that schools actually receive our results a week before we do. If that's true, your school has had your results since last Thursday. Apologies if I'm wrong.
    No they get them the day before.

It's quite common, especially for schools without many previous Oxbridge applicants, to want to make a song and dance about their pupils (likely) success. But they don't know more than you. Yet.

Insight314 - explain it to your mum that you aren't comfortable with it. The school should respect your wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

It's quite common, especially for schools without many previous Oxbridge applicants, to want to make a song and dance about their pupils (likely) success. But they don't know more than you. Yet.
    But that's extremely unfair. This puts even more pressure on me. What if I do get rejected?

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I had been fighting the urge to call up my school and interrogate them!

ReputationRep:
    But that's extremely unfair. This puts even more pressure on me. What if I do get rejected?
    See my edit.

I agree, it's unfair. I'm refusing to go in and collect my results, personally. Can you get yours online?

ReputationRep:
    Insight314 - explain it to your mum that you aren't comfortable with it. The school should respect your wishes.
    I don't mind having a photo taken or get asked questions, but they expect me to bring school's uniform and for my mum to also come for results day. All this is too much preparation for something which may not even happen, given that there is a chance (low one) that I may have missed my offer.

ReputationRep:
    Just say no man.
    Who cares.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it's unfair. I'm refusing to go in and collect my results, personally. Can you get yours online?
    Nah, can't get them online. My mum also really wants to come. If it was after I knew about the results I would be fine with anything they ask me, but I want to know I got the offer and then do **** like that.

ReputationRep:

I always thought it was the morning of results day... That's why my school always told me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Just say no man.
    Who cares.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My mum really wants me to do it, and I also want to help out my school since they have been pretty helpful with my self-studying and all. I was planning on doing it either way, but the thing I don't like is that they called me before Wednesday (when they find out) and I don't want to go there prepared for that **** and then be rejected by Cambz.

ReputationRep:
    My mum really wants me to do it, and I also want to help out my school since they have been pretty helpful with my self-studying and all. I was planning on doing it either way, but the thing I don't like is that they called me before Wednesday (when they find out) and I don't want to go there prepared for that **** and then be rejected by Cambz.
    Just check on thursday at 8am then go on from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    See my edit.
    If the school finds out on Wednesday, would they not call me on that day to scrap everything if I have not met my offer?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind having a photo taken or get asked questions, but they expect me to bring school's uniform and for my mum to also come for results day. All this is too much preparation for something which may not even happen, given that there is a chance (low one) that I may have missed my offer.
    Personally if you are happy to be interviewed and have a photo taken I'm not sure why adding the uniform makes such a difference. It would be the interview and photo that would pressurise me... If anything, wearing a uniform should reduce the worry because you don't need to stress about what to wear.

It's also your decision whether you bring your mum or not. I'm sure she will understand one way or the other.

ReputationRep:
    If the school finds out on Wednesday, would they not call me on that day to scrap everything if I have not met my offer?
    I doubt it. For one thing it would breach the results embargo.

And they will still be hugely proud of your achievements, even if you miss the offer (which you won't)...

ReputationRep:
    Personally if you are happy to be interviewed and have a photo taken I'm not sure why adding the uniform makes such a difference. It would be the interview and photo that would pressurise me... If anything, wearing a uniform should reduce the worry because you don't need to stress about what to wear.
    I am fine with the interview and the photo. I have a long commute (1 hour or so) from my house to school, so it would be quite weird to be a guy in a school's uniform during summer break. Anyway, I can live with that.

It's also your decision whether you bring your mum or not. I'm sure she will understand one way or the other.
    The thing is I don't think it's my decision since they called me mum, and asked her directly to come to school as well. And for some reason she got really excited about it, so I don't think I can even tell her not to come lol.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, the guy who called me mum wanted to speak to me but I was asleep so he's gonna call me and gonna ask him what time I got to be there, and what if I don't meet my offer. I hope it's after 8am, so I can do what you advice me to do and check UCAS track before I am there.

I doubt it. For one thing it would breach the results embargo.

And they will still be hugely proud of your achievements, even if you miss the offer (which you won't)...
    Does it really breach the results embargo if they only contact me to tell me that there will not be any photos/interviews taken?

I guess so, but isn't the main purpose of it that I would be in Cambridge two years earlier?

Nah, can't get them online. My mum also really wants to come. If it was after I knew about the results I would be fine with anything they ask me, but I want to know I got the offer and then do **** like that.
    I feel for you, really I do. If I were you, I'd just go on in there, get my results and leave. You are an adult now and no one can force you to do anything that you don't want to. I'd imagine you probably don't want all the extra attention, whether your results are good or bad. Making you do an interview is really intrusive.

Having said that, I doubt they will still want you to do an interview if your grades aren't what you'd like because that would be very unpleasant for you. Given the school gets your results a day before we do, they won't call you in for an interview if your results aren't what you'd hoped.

I recommend that you contact your school yourself now and tell them that you won't be doing the interview.

ReputationRep:
    I am fine with the interview and the photo. I have a long commute (1 hour or so) from my house to school, so it would be quite weird to be a guy in a school's uniform during summer break. Anyway, I can live with that.

The thing is I don't think it's my decision since they called me mum, and asked her directly to come to school as well. And for some reason she got really excited about it, so I don't think I can even tell her not to come lol.
    Or midnight before - STEP will tell you all much of what you need to know. Hit STEP and everyone is in.

They called your mum because she is your mum AND is your school's primary point of contact for you (especially given your age). Of course she's excited... but also she is likely to be assuming your school knows the results when, in fact, they don't.

Have a talk with her to explain the situation. I am SURE she will respect and support whatever you want to do. Equally it might be nice to bring her along, especially if it's a long commute each way.

Does it really breach the results embargo if they only contact me to tell me that there will not be any photos/interviews taken?I guess so, but isn't the main purpose of it that I would be in Cambridge two years earlier?
    It would breach the embargo because the clear implication would be you missed the offer. The main purpose is the number of exams you have taken in one go, as well as the place at Cambridge, as well as it being taken early. PR can spin your achievements for your school even if you narrowly miss Cambridge (which you won't).

ReputationRep:
    You are an adult now
    Actually he's not. He's still under 18... but as I said I'm sure his mum will support whatever Insight wants to do.

ReputationRep:
    Or midnight before - STEP will tell you all much of what you need to know. Hit STEP and everyone is in.

They called you mum because she is your mum AND is your school's primary point of contact for you (especially given your age). Of course she's excited... but also she is likely to be assuming your school knows the results when, in fact, they don't.

Have a talk with her to explain the situation. I am SURE she will respect and support whatever you want to do. Equally it might be nice to bring her along, especially if it's a long commute each way.

It would breach the embargo because the clear implication would be you missed the offer. The main purpose is the number of exams you have taken in one go, as well as the place at Cambridge, as well as it being taken early. PR can spin your achievements for your school even if you narrowly miss Cambridge (which you won't).
    Hitting step hehe.
    Damnit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.