Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pur-Rulz)
    That doesn't tell me aything about blood buffer to prevent lactic acid from lowering the pH in order to prolong how long anaerobic respiration can take place for before the seal needs to surface again...but maybe that's just me.
    the question said suggest so as long as it has reasoning it can't be wrong
    you could have said sea grass that it eats contains an enzyme to help prevent the build up of lactate acid, i donno
    you had to expand a bit on it
    however i dont know anything about animals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BHAM!)
    hey guys could you explain to me how you are working this out?
    I've never really paid attention to ums so i don't understand how it works...looking at my result sheet i have

83/90 in cells exchange and transport
    150/150 in molecules biodiversity food and health

do you add your practical skill score too? how do i work out how much more i need to get an A overall?

Thanks
    Yeah add your practical score together as well and so youll have your mark out of 300 (although %'s are differing sometimes). You then just work out then % you need by working out from the fact you need like 480 for an A overall this year. Something like that. Using Archens method i need 67% which is also a C/almost a B. Thats not bad actually considering im going uber annoyed at the possiblity im not getting an A in this exam, which im fairly confident of. But shudnt it be slightly different because this exam is worth 15% and summer is worth 25%?
    Ah well, youve given me some hope, thanks archen ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    OCR will love me, cos I wrote then a mini essay......:yep:

ear/nose closed; lipid and fat as respiration substrate; respiration qoutient(in case there is a mark point just for that word:rolleyes: ); big chest->big lungs->more air->hold breathe for longer; lazy->low metabolic rate->low oxygen uptake........

hopefully that covers the three mark......:rolleyes:
    Wow, I'd say you're good there. For most of the marks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I said that the Hb has a higher afinity than that in other mammals. But that might be wrong :

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*
    i worked my frickin a$$ off for that exam! i thought i knew the wholespec back to front but the question were so demented, they made me blank out! THT FRICKIN SEAL!
    anyways here r the answers i got so if anyone clever can please give views i'd appreciate tht...will i get atleast a C do you think? :'(

DIfferece between Excretion and Secretion excretion products are waste products from metabolic reactions where as secretion products can be useful products to be used in the body
    One example of excretion and secretion excretion= urea secretion= hormones
    One Similarity between excretion and secretion. they both relase products that are moved away from their sight of production

Why is the C6H1206+602---> 6CO2 + 6H20 an over simplification.:'(
    this equation does not mentionATP which is also a product of respiration in krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation

What is Type 1 diabetes
    occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin due to an autoimmune response that destroys the beta cells that usually produce the insulin

3 Risk Factors of type 2 Diabetes

consuming too many carbohydrates ie sugar foods
    more energy in that out ie not enough exercise
    a family history of type 2 diabetes

Name molecules D, E and F
    i think i put like ATP NAD and pyruvate

What step is this in Figure ?? (Glycolysis)
    glycolysis

State the importance and fate of Pyruvate in anaerobic respiration :woo: blanked out:woo:
    i said that firstly glucose is converted to pyruvate which provides the energy needed to make 2 molecules of ATP i then said that the H+ released from this reaction is used to reduce the NAD and the e- relased from NAD is added to the pyruvate to make lactic acid. i then said the lactic acid enters the cori cycle to be converted back to pyruvate to realease more atp. the importance of it is that it "buys time" and provides an immediate source of ATP for the cell's metabolic reactions

How are seals adapted to respire for so long in water.
    :mad: :confused: :eek:
    i put that it has gills and big nostrils to take in as much oxygen as possible for aerobic resp. i said it is smooth and streamlines so it glides easily through water and requires little ATP. i said it also has a big body with lots of fatty blubber which is a high energy respiratory substrate.

What's a pointing at?
    i said it was pointing at the myelinated sheath schwann cell

Describe myelin sheath. :confused:
    i said it's made of fats that cannot conduct electricity to the electrical impulse is forced to jump from node of ranvier to node of ranvier

Compare speed in myelinated neureones
    myelin sheath speeded it up because it was like 35ms-1 for myelin sheath mammal andonly 3ms-1 or something for non myelinated

Compare axon diameter
    sped it up and i used all the figures to explain why
    How temp affects speed of conduction :mad: :confused:
    speeds it up because neurones are transducers so convert the heat energy to electrical impulses!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why the nerve ceaes at high temperature :p: guessed this!! :p:
    the heat denatures the proteins and enzymes involved in electrical impulse transmission LOL

Describe synapse until released in the the synaptic cleft( i think) read this SOOO wrong :'( :thumbsdown:
    i put that when an action potential arrives it opens the calcium ion channels to open so they rush in.this forces the vesicles containing acetyl choline to fuse with the pre synatic membrane where theyre released into the synaptic cleft and attach to the receptors on the post synaptic cleft where they open the Na channels and allow the nerve impulse to continue

Percentage Question- 1200cm-->700>125 (something like that)
    i got 17.9 because it was on about plasma so out of the 700 plasma only 125 got through

Name the step- ultrafiltration i think
    ultrafiltration

Name the cell that lines the PCT
    endothelium cells?!

Name structure X.
    microvilli?

Describe the role fo PCT(selective reabsorption)
    i forgot the word selective reabsorbtion and kinda blagged about how all the things tht there was a higher conc in the urea than in the glomerullar fluid was due to active transport and facillitated diffussion. i answered this one poorly for sure

Then the photosynthesis questions:

Affect of black paper...
    control to make sure the light was the only factor causing an effect

2 precautions and explanation for conducting the test
    control temp as temperature affects rate of photosynthesis
    use same hydrogen carbonate and different concs of hydrogen carbonnate would lead to diff colour changes

The pigment in Photosystem I and II.
    chlorophyll

Something about green light. :banghead:
    i put tht green light allows the right wavelengths of light thru to allow the light indepent stages of photo synthesis to occur where by when there is a proton gradient produces the H+ ions leak out through the chlorophyll into the hydrogen carbonate making it more acidic. WTFFFF

2 controlll methods for rate of photosynthesis.
    More co2 so more photosynthesis can occur (didnt even mention the stages of photo synthesis tht i learned off by heart) more oygen and water to carry out photolysis and oxidative phosphorylation (no details) and i put about controlling nitrate levels in the soil

i didnt put enough detail for ANYTHING
    im so vexed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azn-wonder91)
    *sigh*
    i worked my frickin a$$ off for that exam! i thought i knew the wholespec back to front but the question were so demented, they made me blank out! THT FRICKIN SEAL!
    anyways here r the answers i got so if anyone clever can please give views i'd appreciate tht...will i get atleast a C do you think? :'(

DIfferece between Excretion and Secretion excretion products are waste products from metabolic reactions where as secretion products can be useful products to be used in the body
    One Similarity between excretion and secretion. they both relase products that are moved away from their sight of production

this equation does not mentionATP which is also a product of respiration in krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation

What is Type 1 diabetes
    occurs when the body does not produce enough insulin due to an autoimmune response that destroys the beta cells that usually produce the insulin

glycolysis

State the importance and fate of Pyruvate in anaerobic respiration :woo: blanked out:woo:
    i said that firstly glucose is converted to pyruvate which provides the energy needed to make 2 molecules of ATP i then said that the H+ released from this reaction is used to reduce the NAD and the e- relased from NAD is added to the pyruvate to make lactic acid. i then said the lactic acid enters the cori cycle to be converted back to pyruvate to realease more atp. the importance of it is that it "buys time" and provides an immediate source of ATP for the cell's metabolic reactions

i put that it has gills and big nostrils to take in as much oxygen as possible for aerobic resp. i said it is smooth and streamlines so it glides easily through water and requires little ATP. i said it also has a big body with lots of fatty blubber which is a high energy respiratory substrate.

What's a pointing at?

i said it's made of fats that cannot conduct electricity to the electrical impulse is forced to jump from node of ranvier to node of ranvier

myelin sheath speeded it up because it was like 35ms-1 for myelin sheath mammal andonly 3ms-1 or something for non myelinated

Compare axon diameter
    speeds it up because neurones are transducers so convert the heat energy to electrical impulses!?!?!?!?!?!?

the heat denatures the proteins and enzymes involved in electrical impulse transmission LOL

Describe synapse until released in the the synaptic cleft( i think) read this SOOO wrong :'( :thumbsdown:
    i put that when an action potential arrives it opens the calcium ion channels to open so they rush in.this forces the vesicles containing acetyl choline to fuse with the pre synatic membrane where theyre released into the synaptic cleft and attach to the receptors on the post synaptic cleft where they open the Na channels and allow the nerve impulse to continue

i got 17.9 because it was on about plasma so out of the 700 plasma only 125 got through

ultrafiltration

endothelium cells?!

Name structure X.
    microvilli?

i forgot the word selective reabsorbtion and kinda blagged about how all the things tht there was a higher conc in the urea than in the glomerullar fluid was due to active transport and facillitated diffussion. i answered this one poorly for sure

Affect of black paper...

use same hydrogen carbonate and different concs of hydrogen carbonnate would lead to diff colour changes

chlorophyll

i put tht green light allows the right wavelengths of light thru to allow the light indepent stages of photo synthesis to occur where by when there is a proton gradient produces the H+ ions leak out through the chlorophyll into the hydrogen carbonate making it more acidic. WTFFFF

More co2 so more photosynthesis can occur (didnt even mention the stages of photo synthesis tht i learned off by heart) more oygen and water to carry out photolysis and oxidative phosphorylation (no details) and i put about controlling nitrate levels in the soil

im so vexed

Damn you have a good memory.

ReputationRep:
    Heres something we can all relate to

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...6106979&ref=nf

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

What is Type 1 diabetes

glycolysis

What's a pointing at?

Compare axon diameter

ultrafiltration

endothelium cells?!

Name structure X.
    microvilli?

Affect of black paper...

chlorophyll

im so vexed
    Looks like you did pretty damn good overall! Couple of little mistakes, but we all made some. I wouldn't be feeling too bad about those answers at all.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

What is Type 1 diabetes

glycolysis

What's a pointing at?

Compare axon diameter

ultrafiltration

endothelium cells?!

Name structure X.
    microvilli?

Affect of black paper...

chlorophyll

im so vexed
    EPIC C! lol

no mention of how the carbon concetration affects the levels of RuBP, GP and TP.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh*

im so vexed
    the synpase question i thnk asked for a description of what happened from an action potential arriving at synpase to the release of acetylcholine..
    so just the first part is needed ... :confused:
    you should get at LEAST 2 cause u describe Ca2+ channe;s and how it fuses with the membrane to release it

ReputationRep:
    Pile. Of. ****.
    ¬___________¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Damn you have a good memory.
    if only it was so good at remembering all the details needed to get an A!

ReputationRep:
    What's a pointing at?

i swear i did NOT read that question?! i swear the question was describe the structure of A?! I mentioned its a myelinated sheath made of schwann cells which are coiled around the axon, forgot its made of fats and lipids

PS look at this, itll make your day no doubt, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=270786106979

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tacita)
    Looks like you did pretty damn good overall! Couple of little mistakes, but we all made some. I wouldn't be feeling too bad about those answers at all.
    thnku tht makes me feel good considering i need an A for all my uni choices im angry at myself because i learned all the krebs cycle etc etc off by heart but in the exam i blanked out cheers for the feedback tho

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone say for the similarity between excretion and secretion that both have products transported in the blood? I am not sure if this is valid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    EPIC C! lol

no mention of how the carbon concetration affects the levels of RuBP, GP and TP.
    i know mannnn i knew that aswell! just totally forgot to mention it! would you say it's at C then??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty_b5)
    Did anyone say for the similarity between excretion and secretion that both have products transported in the blood? I am not sure if this is valid!
    Yeah that's what I put, it was the only thing i could think of

What a fudged up paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    the synpase question i thnk asked for a description of what happened from an action potential arriving at synpase to the release of acetylcholine..
    so just the first part is needed ... :confused:
    you should get at LEAST 2 cause u describe Ca2+ channe;s and how it fuses with the membrane to release it
    ahh right cheers! i read it wrong and afterwards all my mates were like er uv answered it wrong i wish my friends werent such geniuses because they found it alright whereas i was having a myocardial infarction throughout lol!

ReputationRep:
    thnku tht makes me feel good considering i need an A for all my uni choices im angry at myself because i learned all the krebs cycle etc etc off by heart but in the exam i blanked out cheers for the feedback tho
    Don't worry, I need an A too, and I memorised all the 'fact' stuff. But none of it came up. We're all hoping for low grade boundaries :p:

ReputationRep:
    There's been such a wide variety of answers by people that I think the markscheme is gonna be hard to make! :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.