Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Also in terms of job applications should I be worried that nothing has come up where I live yet? A few on my course have started applying and have had interviews but they're prepared to travel a bit. Should I hold fire or start applying for jobs on the outskirts of where I live if they come up?
    Don't worry. I know everyone says jobs come up early and it can be worrying when you hear that someone else on your course has applied for or even got a job... it sends you in to a bit of a panic! But jobs will continue to become available all the way through until the summer and even just before September.

These are the dates which notice must be given by:
    · to leave at 31 December, give notice by no later than 31 October;
    · to leave at 30 April, give notice by no later than 28 February;
    · to leave at 31 August, give notice by no later than 31 May.

So you have a good while yet for September jobs! And remember overall that many excellent new teachers start off doing supply work. There is nothing wrong with this. So even if you didn't get a job (which is certainly not indicated at this point) you still have a way to develop, get money and gain experience.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't start applying for jobs until March. A lot of others didn't until may half term! Don't panic, the right school will find you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks folks; I try not to compare myself to others but it's really hard at times!

Been full of cold for days, had to take the day off on Friday (first day of school I've missed) because when I woke up I felt so awful I could barely move! Still not 100% but definitely going in tomorrow; thankfully I'm not teaching tomorrow so hopefully I'll be fine by Tuesday.

Going to break the news to my classes at the end of this week that next week will be their last lesson with me. Will be interesting to see their reactions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    Now into my 3rd month of the secondary PGCE course and i can honestly say i have never looked forward to Xmas quite as much as i currently am! This has been the hardest few months i have ever experienced. Such a massive amount of work to be done all the time. Lesson plans still taking me hours and I'm never more than a day ahead of myself! Assignment due in 2 weeks and not even beyond the introduction. Getting home at 5pm every night due to the distance of my placement school and leaving at 7:20am every morning. Weekends written off and relationship with my partner suffering!

Anyone else feel this way too?

Also a little reminder to all those wanting to apply for next year; this is CERTAINLY not an option for you if you're doing it just to put off finding a job! HUGE step up from undergrad degree!! (i think the MA students are a little better prepared)

Rant over.

I know exactly how you are feeling and I am currently only in my final year of my undergrad. I have a family and household to juggle, as I'm sure many other people have other responsibilities and must find it difficult to find that balance when studying.

I have an interview for secondary PE PGCE and I am really anxious! Even though this is what I have wanted and worked so hard for, I am really worried I won't be able to juggle! Ahhhhh!

Just think, you have already done one full term and it's February already! Keep persevering, it will all be worth it in the end, PLUS you are not alone!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone around to talk to? Could really do with someone to talk to right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Is anyone around to talk to? Could really do with someone to talk to right now.
    I am currently panicking manically over planning for tomorrow as I am being observed by my head!!! Eeek! But if it's a longer term thing I am free to PM tomorrow evening lots, talk through whatever you need to. If you want to, PM me.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, utter ****bag of a day.

Full of cold so had no energy and couldn't assert authority meaning my year tens were an absolute nightmare, talked over me, threw pens, argued back and showed a lot of disrespect.

Year 7s started well but finished tasks earlier than anticipated, I had extension tasks but they even did these quickly and I think boredom made them start to get a bit hyper.

Nothing went right today and I feel like I was walked over by every one of my classes.

8 more school days to go - just about surviving now!

ReputationRep:
    Well this week is going to be pretty stressful. I have my college tutor coming in to observe me first thing tomorrow and then I need to start planning my lesson for my interview on Thursday. I also need to start writing my application letter for the other job I want to apply for, which closes on Thursday x_x

Thank god Friday is a training day.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, utter ****bag of a day.

Full of cold so had no energy and couldn't assert authority meaning my year tens were an absolute nightmare, talked over me, threw pens, argued back and showed a lot of disrespect.

Year 7s started well but finished tasks earlier than anticipated, I had extension tasks but they even did these quickly and I think boredom made them start to get a bit hyper.

Nothing went right today and I feel like I was walked over by every one of my classes.

8 more school days to go - just about surviving now!
    Mama said there'll be days like this, there'll be days like this my mama said!

Sorry for singing, very tired lol. Think back to good lessons with those kids and use that as motivation.

(Original post by Shelly_x)
    Well this week is going to be pretty stressful. I have my college tutor coming in to observe me first thing tomorrow and then I need to start planning my lesson for my interview on Thursday. I also need to start writing my application letter for the other job I want to apply for, which closes on Thursday x_x

Thank god Friday is a training day.
    Hope your observation goes well

I hate interview teaching. I just think how can you show what you can do with a group of children you've never met! For me my teaching is ALL about what my children need. It's annoying as I got picked up at one interview for pitching it wrong!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had the worst day of supply teaching in a year 1 class today. Started off with a boy spitting at one of his classmates and ended with another boy biting someone so hard he left teeth marks with a girl cutting a lock of her hair off sandwiched in between. Plus the fact I've got a stinking cold and can barely speak and I've just started the heaviest period I've had since I was 15 (it was so bad I didn't want to sit down) ha too much information sorry! It was just a complete nightmare and I'm teaching again tomrrow. That's in a class I've been in quite a bit though so it's usually much better but still definitely had a bit of a cry when I got home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    Had the worst day of supply teaching in a year 1 class today. Started off with a boy spitting at one of his classmates and ended with another boy biting someone so hard he left teeth marks with a girl cutting a lock of her hair off sandwiched in between. Plus the fact I've got a stinking cold and can barely speak and I've just started the heaviest period I've had since I was 15 (it was so bad I didn't want to sit down) ha too much information sorry! It was just a complete nightmare and I'm teaching again tomrrow. That's in a class I've been in quite a bit though so it's usually much better but still definitely had a bit of a cry when I got home!
    Big hugs!

I hate those days.

Also I know you say too much information but silly little things like that cause so much hassle! And the cold will be making you even more tired than usual.

Get some good rest this weekend, and good luck for tomorrow... it WILL be a good day! Will it and it will happen.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    x
    Thanks for your help. I might have lost another child from my infant class. Will know more tomorrow. Hope it's nothing I've done.

Today wasn't great. There's always tomorrow though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Thanks for your help. I might have lost another child from my infant class. Will know more tomorrow. Hope it's nothing I've done.

Today wasn't great. There's always tomorrow though.
    Let us know. EAL is tricky with little ones, but at the same time they pick up so quickly!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So close to the finish line of placement one. Went down a grade in my observation today but tbh I expected it - my cold this week has drained all my energy and enthusiasm. Only got one more observation next week then a few fun lessons to say goodbye to my classes.

Find out where my second placement is tomorrow, eek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Big hugs!

I hate those days.

Also I know you say too much information but silly little things like that cause so much hassle! And the cold will be making you even more tired than usual.

Get some good rest this weekend, and good luck for tomorrow... it WILL be a good day! Will it and it will happen.

xxx
    Thank you! You're right, definitely need a weekend in bed to recoup I think. Today was so much better though! It was the class I've been helping out in a lot over the past month and they were so lovely for me, it makes such a difference knowing the children.. I think adrenaline kept me going through the day though because as soon as I get home I couldn't keep my head up and started shivering like a crazy person. Friday tomorrow everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarang_assa)
    Thank you! You're right, definitely need a weekend in bed to recoup I think. Today was so much better though! It was the class I've been helping out in a lot over the past month and they were so lovely for me, it makes such a difference knowing the children.. I think adrenaline kept me going through the day though because as soon as I get home I couldn't keep my head up and started shivering like a crazy person. Friday tomorrow everyone!!

I totally understand the adrenaline thing! When an incident happens in school and you have to go in to 'Get through it' mode, just do what you need to for the children. And then afterwards your body's like 'You've had your share for today, you'll get no more out of me!'

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing the pgce early years and live in Bristol and wondering whether to move to bath or not. Would you recommended moving to bath? How many days a week do you attend university ? thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyyCook)
    I'm thinking of doing the pgce early years and live in Bristol and wondering whether to move to bath or not. Would you recommended moving to bath? How many days a week do you attend university ? thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Every uni has their own way of doing it but I think the minimum days at school is 120 days. Most start off with a couple weeks at uni, then a bit at school and uni before spending a month or two just in school. Check with the provider you intend to go to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very happy - my second placement is a great school in a very convenient location for me. Going to be a massive contrast to my first placement in every way possible I feel.

Presents all bought for teachers at my first placement for next week (final week) feel a bit sad that it's all going to be over there now!

ReputationRep:
    Very happy - my second placement is a great school in a very convenient location for me. Going to be a massive contrast to my first placement in every way possible I feel.

Presents all bought for teachers at my first placement for next week (final week) feel a bit sad that it's all going to be over there now!
    You are very lucky, both of mine have been an hour away. I just hope my second school is an improvement. As I will not be able to deal with the travel combined with a bad mentor. Fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.