Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    If I get an offer, I can be called SamCam. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going out in the next few days to buy a suit, now I understand it has to be black/navy blue but I was wondering if it had to be plain i.e. can it have strips etc.....?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    If I get an offer, I can be called SamCam. :sexface:
    I would have said "Hahahah!" and then I saw...

(Original post by Melz0r)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    We've started saying 'PRSOM' in CamChat.

'Cus we're cool like that.
    haha thank you for that
    Note: Don't try to pronounce this word out loud - I tried it and it makes you sound a bit stupid.

(Original post by Kebabbi)
    When I went for my interview, one of the porters patted me on the head and the other one gave me a chelsea bun It was like being at my gran's!
    Which college was that?
    HE GAVE YOU A CHELSEA BUN? I WANT.

But aren't they awesome? I'm going to make friends with the porters... they seem like useful yet awesome friends to have. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)

Which college was that?
    HE GAVE YOU A CHELSEA BUN? I WANT.

But aren't they awesome? I'm going to make friends with the porters... they seem like useful yet awesome friends to have. :cool:
    Pembroke. I applied purely on a whim and in the end I was pooled to John's, which I shouldn't really have minded because I hadn't researched any of them before I applied, but I was sad to miss out on such lovely porter buddies

Definitely making friends with them though; I asked a friend of mine how the whole tutor system works and she said 'oh you don't need to worry about that, as long as you're on first name terms with the porters you'll be fine'

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is a geek week (for engineers) this year. I have a letter from Pembroke saying I need to move in on 2nd October and it didn't mention it.
    I'll phone them up on Monday if I don't hear anything but just wondering if anyone has heard about it this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)
    Does anyone know if there is a geek week (for engineers) this year. I have a letter from Pembroke saying I need to move in on 2nd October and it didn't mention it.
    I'll phone them up on Monday if I don't hear anything but just wondering if anyone has heard about it this year.
    I didn't think there had ever been a geek week for engineers. I may be wrong though...

I thought it was mainly for Mathmos, Classicists and some people starting Languages ab initio (might just be the Classics people who arent fluent in Greek and Latin)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadz123456)
    I'm going out in the next few days to buy a suit, now I understand it has to be black/navy blue but I was wondering if it had to be plain i.e. can it have strips etc.....?
    from what i understand plain is your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadz123456)
    Plain is probably better but don't worry too much about it. Strips probably won't show up on the photo.

(And in our matric photo, one of my mates had a bright blue shirt on. The photo's in alphabetical order, he happens to be right in the middle of the picture. Stands out clearly. None of the fellows cared, we just thought it was funny)

ReputationRep:
    Do girls need to buy anything special?

(Original post by dinat)
    Do girls need to buy anything special?
    Nope, just a white blouse, black skirt/trousers and black shoes for matriculation.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to change from History to English at Cambridge? My grades have for the last three years been much, MUCH better in English than in History, and I think I would have more fun with English. (Don't ask me why I chose History :P) Any advice? Is Cambridge quite flexible? Will they let me choose as soon as possible? I don't wanna go with the Tripos system and then do two years of History + 1 year of English...

Just in case they say yes, should I start reading stuff from the English reading list?

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated! Am getting very worried!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thin Brown Duke)
    Hey, just wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to change from History to English at Cambridge? My grades have for the last three years been much, MUCH better in English than in History, and I think I would have more fun with English. (Don't ask me why I chose History :P) Any advice? Is Cambridge quite flexible? Will they let me choose as soon as possible? I don't wanna go with the Tripos system and then do two years of History + 1 year of English...

Just in case they say yes, should I start reading stuff from the English reading list?

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated! Am getting very worried!
    That totally depends on the Directors of Studies in your college for English and History. I suggest speaking to them immediately after arriving to see if you could switch. I have heard of cases where switching subjects at the beginning of your course was allowed. However if you leave it for a few weeks into the term you will likely to have missed too much content to be allowed to switch.

Alternatively they may ask you complete first year and then if you achieve a sufficiently high grade (usually 2.1) you will be allowed to switch, as this is one of the common subject-change routes. However it's also dependent on them whether to allow you into second year English or just put you into first (in which case you'll have to study to complete all three years of English on top of the year of History).

tl;dr: It depends on the DoSes at your college. Ask them once you arrive.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Got an email and FB add from my college mum.

\excited
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)

\excited
    :woo:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

\excited
    Is she the one on the left or right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    Don't tell him, he's spent all evening tell us all about how he's a next level playa :sexface:

ReputationRep:

\excited
    ................................ ..........................

She found you first???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Nope, just a white blouse, black skirt/trousers and black shoes for matriculation.
    Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Gooner231)
    ................................ ..........................

She found you first???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!
    Indeed! I should improve my stalking skills, shouldn't I?

(Original post by jonnyboy1993)
    Don't tell him, he's spent all evening tell us all about how he's a next level playa :sexface:
    Orly?

Do tell... :sexface:

(Original post by cpdavis)
    I'm not letting you get your grubby hands on her!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.