Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlovinit05)
    Self. dont think I'm good enough to apply for them scholarships haha.
    when can we start making our visa?
    i read something like we can only make it from may onwards.. is it true??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonobebe)
    when can we start making our visa?
    i read something like we can only make it from may onwards.. is it true??
    you can only start doing the visa 3 months before your course starts.
    Do you have any other offers other then the scotland one?

ReputationRep:
    you can only start doing the visa 3 months before your course starts.
    Do you have any other offers other then the scotland one?
    huh 3 months before course starts means june... goodness.. i really want to get all things done asap!

i got unconditionals from other 4 choices too. but i just firmed the HW yesterday. so i guess next up will be their mail for me to send my deposit over??

ReputationRep:
    huh 3 months before course starts means june... goodness.. i really want to get all things done asap!

i got unconditionals from other 4 choices too. but i just firmed the HW yesterday. so i guess next up will be their mail for me to send my deposit over??

Yea probably sometime around June.
    I see. I haven't firmed mine yet so i've no idea on whats the next procedure. Now i'd just gotta wait and get prepared to go.
    Hopefully there'd be other people from here that's going to manchester as well! so at least i wont have to fly alone or something.

ReputationRep:
    Yea probably sometime around June.
    I see. I haven't firmed mine yet so i've no idea on whats the next procedure. Now i'd just gotta wait and get prepared to go.
    Hopefully there'd be other people from here that's going to manchester as well! so at least i wont have to fly alone or something.
    u waiting for other choices to reply?
    few months ago i was at the uk uni exhibition at suntec, freaking hell the queue waiting to consult the manchester uni staffs are sooo long... so i guess u might meet some sgporeans there.. maybe here too, but not much sgporeans know of TSR. maybe u want to try ucas connect??

i wish i can meet people going to the same uni as me too, but till now, no avail.

ReputationRep:
    u waiting for other choices to reply?
    few months ago i was at the uk uni exhibition at suntec, freaking hell the queue waiting to consult the manchester uni staffs are sooo long... so i guess u might meet some sgporeans there.. maybe here too, but not much sgporeans know of TSR. maybe u want to try ucas connect??

i wish i can meet people going to the same uni as me too, but till now, no avail.

Nope. Not waiting anymore. Got my offers and am deciding now.

And I think i read it wrongly. About the Visa, the latest date you can apply for the visa is 3 months before your course i suppose. Better to check with the VFS or something.
    I don't really understand what they mean when they say " You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. "

Anyway, the website is - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...e=UK%20English
    See what you can make of it?

Regards

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Not waiting anymore. Got my offers and am deciding now.

And I think i read it wrongly. About the Visa, the latest date you can apply for the visa is 3 months before your course i suppose. Better to check with the VFS or something.
    I don't really understand what they mean when they say " You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. "

Anyway, the website is - http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/co...e=UK%20English
    See what you can make of it?

Regards
    I think it means you can only apply for the visa 3 months before you fly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitelily29)
    I think it means you can only apply for the visa 3 months before you fly.
    I see. then if it takes more then a month to be processed, we have to hold off buying plane tickets? wanted to buy earlier to get better flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    chow hai country

ReputationRep:
    Seems like many people will be going Manchester this coming sept. However manchester's ranking seems to be going down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coshios)
    Seems like many people will be going Manchester this coming sept. However manchester's ranking seems to be going down.
    Really? i cant find anyone else that's going to manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I see. then if it takes more then a month to be processed, we have to hold off buying plane tickets? wanted to buy earlier to get better flexibility.
    If I could, I would buy my plane tickets now it'll be cheaper too. But they on the website they mention not to confirm flying plans first.. I don't know.. Check with seniors?

ReputationRep:
    What are the factors that you guys will consider when it comes to choosing the university? and how huge an influence does it have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitelily29)
    If I could, I would buy my plane tickets now it'll be cheaper too. But they on the website they mention not to confirm flying plans first.. I don't know.. Check with seniors?

Yea true. I might just do it and hope that the visa goes through.

I dont think they reject student visa applications unless you're dodgy? Haha

ReputationRep:

i think they mean the earliest u can apply for the visa is 3 months before uni starts... however last yr i checked they say only can apply from may onwards... why keep changing???!! also, the approx time for the visa to process is ~15 working days. which is like 3-4 weeks la... hopefully they don't take longer time as i speculate all the students will chiong down to get it done in june =.=

i think during mid march got another uk uni exhibition at suntec again. u can go and see how long the queue for manchester or probably start making friends from there haha!

i think i am only going to book tickets after i got my visa... so maybe i can qualify for more lugguage weightage. some unis provide shuttle service from airport to campus, so maybe after u book that , can start gauging when u book your air tickets.

and i still haven't receive any acknowledgement from HW after firming them... its 2 days liao!

ReputationRep:
    i think they mean the earliest u can apply for the visa is 3 months before uni starts... however last yr i checked they say only can apply from may onwards... why keep changing???!! also, the approx time for the visa to process is ~15 working days. which is like 3-4 weeks la... hopefully they don't take longer time as i speculate all the students will chiong down to get it done in june =.=

i think during mid march got another uk uni exhibition at suntec again. u can go and see how long the queue for manchester or probably start making friends from there haha!

i think i am only going to book tickets after i got my visa... so maybe i can qualify for more lugguage weightage. some unis provide shuttle service from airport to campus, so maybe after u book that , can start gauging when u book your air tickets.

and i still haven't receive any acknowledgement from HW after firming them... its 2 days liao!

Haha i see. How'd you know that there will be another exhibition? Maybe I should pop by then!

And yea, My uni has the shuttle thing, I just hope i dont have to fly alone!

ReputationRep:
    Haha i see. How'd you know that there will be another exhibition? Maybe I should pop by then!

And yea, My uni has the shuttle thing, I just hope i dont have to fly alone!
    subscribe to british council, they will mail u info on which uni coming to give talks and exhibition. but when u go to those exhibitions, don't go and subscribe with those "consultants", because some of them are agencies, so might end up having to pay a fee to them.

i hope my uni have the shuttle too.

your parents not going with u?

ReputationRep:
    subscribe to british council, they will mail u info on which uni coming to give talks and exhibition. but when u go to those exhibitions, don't go and subscribe with those "consultants", because some of them are agencies, so might end up having to pay a fee to them.

i hope my uni have the shuttle too.

your parents not going with u?
    Just checked my email, manchester has emailed me
    about this exhibition and say they will be there.
    And yea, i wont sign anything lol.
    I'll be going alone. not my first time overseas alone so yea.

ReputationRep:
    Just checked my email, manchester has emailed me
    about this exhibition and say they will be there.
    And yea, i wont sign anything lol.
    I'll be going alone. not my first time overseas alone so yea.
    oic.. its my first time going to study overseas, so my parents abit hyper about it... anyway its good for them to be there too, help me carry some essentials such as printer and rice cooker back to hostel *evil grins*

i might be going for the exhibition too, maybe try to get HW prospectus

ReputationRep:

My friend said her visa took all of 5 days. And she booked her ticket before. I think I shall do that (:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.