Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TAPTUT)
    I THINK IM THE ONLY PERSON WHO COMPARED CASEHISTORY:ALISON (HEAD INJURY) TO THE HORSE WHISPERER LOL. Good to be unique though!
    Haha yeah. I would have compared it to the ruined maid, but I answered the other question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to try and get a better indication of how they performed on the first question on the poetry exam, here is a video which goes through a response which achieved 32/36.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEO4CVTvYs8

ReputationRep:
    If I do a poll for question 07, 08 and the Unseen will you answer it so we can conclude difficulty of the Poetry exam? I did the same for set texts exam and people found it helpful. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mallory)
    are these genuine?
    Expected

ReputationRep:
    POETRY DIFFICULTY POLL: ANSWER HERE. http://poll.pollcode.com/nkw98

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please answer!!what's the maximum mark i can get if i didnt really compare the two poems??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_rebel)
    Please answer!!what's the maximum mark i can get if i didnt really compare the two poems??
    From looking at the mark scheme and the exemplar A* comparison that I posted, it doesn't matter too much if you haven't directly compared the poems. If you've identified key features, made evaluative judgements on the themes and shown multiple interpretations then you can still achieve a very high mark. That is however assuming that you wrote about the poems side by the side, as in you wrote about how one poem used structure and then wrote about how the other poem used structure. If you wrote about the poems completely separately then you will probably be penalised.

ReputationRep:
    For the unseen poem i talked about the word breakable and the multiple meanings behind it i also said that the bike was a metaphor it represented the circle of life in regards her daughter growing up into adolescence and maturity this makes the mother feel naive and vulnerable almost as though with distance that connection with her daughter migh break further destroying a relationship this is like a deep fear within the mothrs heart
    Do you think these are good points?? These were the main points i rote in my exam plus another two well analysed paragraphs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a rough idea on the grade boundaries for unit 2 will be??Hoping for at least a minimum of 38 for an A* but it was a fairly easy paper,so will probably be higher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmy123)
    For the unseen poem i talked about the word breakable and the multiple meanings behind it i also said that the bike was a metaphor it represented the circle of life in regards her daughter growing up into adolescence and maturity this makes the mother feel naive and vulnerable almost as though with distance that connection with her daughter migh break further destroying a relationship this is like a deep fear within the mothrs heart
    Do you think these are good points?? These were the main points i rote in my exam plus another two well analysed paragraphs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    YES!! I picked up on that too.I said the word 'breakable' hinted at the vunrability of the child.Also i stated that the bicycle ride was an extended metaphor for growth.I also picked up on the increase in pace in the middle of the poem which was exhibited by the short lines and enjambment.I talked about how the speaker then acknowledged that she will never catch up...Did you talk about the 2 wheels also hinting at vunrability as she can not yet stand up on her own two feet in the speaker's eyes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TAPTUT)
    YES!! I picked up on that too.I said the word 'breakable' hinted at the vunrability of the child.Also i stated that the bicycle ride was an extended metaphor for growth.I also picked up on the increase in pace in the middle of the poem which was exhibited by the short lines and enjambment.I talked about how the speaker then acknowledged that she will never catch up...Did you talk about the 2 wheels also hinting at vunrability as she can not yet stand up on her own two feet in the speaker's eyes?
    Yes i did lol when the mothr says something about wobbling along its like her mum doesnt want to let her daughter go i did lots of language analysis and on the structure of the poem like the fact the poem itself is one big sentence

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMia)
    No! Nobody?! I was like...:cry2: :eek3: I was so worried!!! But now to you I'm like...:adore: ! And now thanks to you I'm feeling a bit like this...:happy2: ! Eeheheee...I have to admit the selection of emoticons enthrals me!
    hehe lol u make me laugh :L

ReputationRep:
    In the unit 1 exam (about plays), does anyone know how many marks writing about context was worth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the overall marks needed are to get an A*/A/B?

ReputationRep:
    If any one is doing British depth study 1890-1918 I advise you have a look at this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post42846773

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what grade I'll get with these results? (They have been converted to UMS)
    Unit 1H- 70/80 A
    Unit 2H- 45/70 C
    Unit 3- 40/50 A/B

ReputationRep:
    On Monday I did Of Mice and Men/An Inspector Calls.... OFMAM was harder than expected and I had no recollection of the book at all, so I'm guessing that's a failure. I wrote loads for AIC though, so I'm hoping that was a better essay that I'd first anticipated.

Romeo & Juliet and Pride & Prejudice was most definitly the better exam of the two. I did so much more language analysis in R&J, but then hardly any in P&P. Luckily the question for P&P could be manipulated to being about Mrs Bennett, so I could use the opening chapters of the novel!!

YOU SPEND HALF THE EXAM LOOKING FOR QUOTES. ITS HIDEOUS. There really should be a longer time limit on this exam.

My coursework was 20/40, which is terrible, but then it was on poetry and I HATE poetry. English Lit was a disaster and its my worst subject. Just hoping for a pass in it tbh ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fbrep2012)
    what did A-A* candidates write about Eric in "An Inspector Calls"
    I'm predicted an A* because that's what I got in Language, (I don't think I'll get it in Lit though), but I put that Priestley almost used Eric as a device to put across his opinion that no percentage of responsibility can actually change the fact that the girl had died, I quoted Eric's bluntness "The girl I knew is dead." - however I think that a good thing (that I didn't do because I didn't realise) would have been if you said that the 'half shy, half assertive' for Eric and the 'half playful, half serious' for Sheila gives a deep meaning about the newer generation in that they begin unsure about themselves, yet by the end Sheila is fully mature and serious, no longer playful, and Eric is no longer shy, he is wholly assertive and expresses his opinion, from this you can talk about Priestley's ideas etc. I spoke mostly about Eric's alcoholism and other aspects mainly using stage directions as quotations and how these gestures convey an effect to the audience (rather than the reader) as it allows the examiner to know that I know this was meant for stage and enables me to talk about it as a live piece and speak about why Eric is 'guffawing', etc.

What did you put?

ReputationRep:
    it gives you a UMS total of 155/200 so thats a high B grade, 160 is an A grade

(Original post by Kavoi08)
    Anyone know what grade I'll get with these results? (They have been converted to UMS)
    Unit 1H- 70/80 A
    Unit 2H- 45/70 C
    Unit 3- 40/50 A/B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcd123456)
    it gives you a UMS total of 155/200 so thats a high B grade, 160 is an A grade
    Cool, thank you so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.