Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The weird dreams on mirtazapine wore off after a few weeks for me, so hopefully that will happen for you too. You could try talking to your doctor about a different antidepressant if the dreams are so unpleasant that you can't put up with them?
    I actually think it's the staying asleep for normal amounts of time that is the more the problem tbh; are all ptsd related just longer and more intense.
    Am meant to be seeing a psychiatrist again soon so will bring it up. Don't really know where we can go from here tbh, feel like I've tried a million. :emo: (I'm aware saying that to you is probably mighty annoying)
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Ah nightmares are awful, can't blame you for trying your best to avoid them :hugs: Which reminds me: forgot my evening meds. Again. Oops :ninja:

This bloody case with the teacher who took that girl to France, that's what's keeping me up. Too close to home and kinda having a mini meltdown
    Sounds like you need a star chart! :awesome:

Had to google cos I'm so insular :ninja:
    :console: Sounds tough. Can you do anything to distract/help sooth yourself? am probably around allllllllll night if you wanna talk. :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Sultana)
    Sounds like you need a star chart! :awesome:

Had to google cos I'm so insular :ninja:
    :console: Sounds tough. Can you do anything to distract/help sooth yourself? am probably around allllllllll night if you wanna talk. :hugs:
    I've got one of those tablet box things, but a star chart might provide more motivation

Not to worry, I usually avoid the news too coz it's so damn depressing. Or political and I can't follow politics anymore coz I just end up confusing myself

I'm listening to my 'Voices' iTunes playlist. It's full of soothing calm chant music. Hopefully that will succeed in calming me down at some point

Thanks for the offer - right back atcha :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    up at a crazy time again, feeling really meh, everything seems alienating right now.

also feeling incredibly selfish again, my sister got a first in her degree and I really am happy for her but at the same time I know this will just continue the whole "golden child" thing within my family, my sisters the one everyone likes and respects cause she gets amazing grades and doesn't have any issues coping with life, im the one that people see as the write off, mediocre grades, three time Uni drop out, have learning difficulties, can't cope with life so have depression and anxiety, in a ton of debt and I am sure they just see me as a failure, disappointment and a burden spent my entire life living in the shadow of my younger sister academically and in terms of how I cope with life...I know for a fact that my extended family see me as the inferior washed out one, I can tell my mums friends are the same as well...sometimes I wonder if even my parents themselves do too, though they are just too polite to make it so clear that they do...

I feel like such a failure in life :cry:

ReputationRep:
    Three hours of flashbacks last night :cry: Still haven't got any sleep :cry: arghhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how this works, but I guess for me just saying (or writing rather) might help. I am rather socially awkward, I never know what to say and often feel left out. On top of that I suffer from hyper-hidrosis (excessive sweating beyond the natural need to cool the body) which means I dread leaving the house. So basically I don't have too many friends, and since I moved around a lot the few I do have aren't close. On top of that I used to have I had a girlfriend once and while I always cherished that memory and knowing others here on TSR saying they never did makes me realize I was lucky for that. But at the moment it just makes me feel even worse because I want that again, just lying in someone's arms loving and being loved, I miss that.

I am also at the stage of my life where I should look for jobs or at least internships. But I dread that too. I hadn't done it during the summer holidays like everyone else seems to have and I feel like if I apply somewhere people will just dismiss me right out thinking I'm lazy and don't show initiative. I know the rational thing would be to just apply to everywhere and sooner or later get lucky, but it's as if I am paralyzed, I can't put myself out there.

So overall I am rather depressed at the moment. I don't know what to do in life. I wake up shaking, teeth clattering and feeling like staying in bed all day. I go lie on the couch and my mum usually talks to me and after some time I can at least get up to do stuff.

(Original post by SciFiRory)
    up at a crazy time again, feeling really meh, everything seems alienating right now.

also feeling incredibly selfish again, my sister got a first in her degree and I really am happy for her but at the same time I know this will just continue the whole "golden child" thing within my family, my sisters the one everyone likes and respects cause she gets amazing grades and doesn't have any issues coping with life, im the one that people see as the write off, mediocre grades, three time Uni drop out, have learning difficulties, can't cope with life so have depression and anxiety, in a ton of debt and I am sure they just see me as a failure, disappointment and a burden spent my entire life living in the shadow of my younger sister academically and in terms of how I cope with life...I know for a fact that my extended family see me as the inferior washed out one, I can tell my mums friends are the same as well...sometimes I wonder if even my parents themselves do too, though they are just too polite to make it so clear that they do...

(Original post by SciFiRory)

Hey, my best friend is like that too. His brother is a genius, his sister a doctor. He dropped out of uni. But then he found something he enjoyed in life and now he is training to be an occupational therapist. Just find the something you like and no one can see you as a failure. Granted that isn't easy (it is something I am struggling with at the moment myself) but I think there's something out there for oneself.

In the meantime, you are not a failure! Some people just find life harder than others. And this is coming from someone who at the moment thinks he is a failure too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Heads up, BBC are doing a host of shows on mental health including 3 episodes inside a teen MH unit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b86w5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, my best friend is like that too. His brother is a genius, his sister a doctor. He dropped out of uni. But then he found something he enjoyed in life and now he is training to be an occupational therapist. Just find the something you like and no one can see you as a failure. Granted that isn't easy (it is something I am struggling with at the moment myself) but I think there's something out there for oneself.

In the meantime, you are not a failure! Some people just find life harder than others. And this is coming from someone who at the moment thinks he is a failure too.
    I guess I do have things I like, I just worry I won't ever be able to hack it in the real world and actually get a degree and/or a job anytime soon, I'm pretty used to thinking of myself as the failure of the family at this point as well tbh

I really am, most people seem to cope so much better with things than I do and I constantly feel like a let down to people as well

ReputationRep:
    fat talk
    Spoiler:
    Show
    feeling really fat today
    like REALLY fat.

been feeling sick a lot recently which makes me pannic so much, and its been making my mind wander so much

i have managed to have a shower today though, which i guess is a bonus, but its made me feel ****, i know its odd way to look at it, but i feel fatter after my shower than before
    yet all i want to do is eat

still have no idea if my step dads talking to me yet, but im home alone currently and my brains just balhhhhh. im not even making sense right now. i just want to hide

(Original post by PonchoKid)
    fat talk
    Spoiler:
    Show
    feeling really fat today
    like REALLY fat.

been feeling sick a lot recently which makes me pannic so much, and its been making my mind wander so much

i have managed to have a shower today though, which i guess is a bonus, but its made me feel ****, i know its odd way to look at it, but i feel fatter after my shower than before

still have no idea if my step dads talking to me yet, but im home alone currently and my brains just balhhhhh. im not even making sense right now. i just want to hide
    Maybe do just a little exercise? Don't even have to leave the house, if you have stairs walk up and down a bit. That way you feel like you are doing something against being "fat". I suggest this because sometimes I go jog just because my love handles annoy me. Plus sport is a great way to take your mind off things so it would be another plus.

:hug:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe do just a little exercise? Don't even have to leave the house, if you have stairs walk up and down a bit. That way you feel like you are doing something against being "fat". I suggest this because sometimes I go jog just because my love handles annoy me. Plus sport is a great way to take your mind off things so it would be another plus.

:hug:
    i have a very bad knee at the moment (sometimes hurts to walk)
    i did a bit on the cross trainer, but my knees very bad today.

so yeah, walking upstairs isnt a great idea at the moment unfortunately

i have a very bad knee at the moment (sometimes hurts to walk)
    i did a bit on the cross trainer, but my knees very bad today.

so yeah, walking upstairs isnt a great idea at the moment unfortunately
    That's a shame! Is your knee issue just current or chronic? Also, if I may ask, are you even fat or do you just perceive yourself as fat?

ReputationRep:
    So apparently I've come through this horrible, horrible year with a first. Currently not really believing it, because just wtf. Not what I was expecting at all. I laughed when I saw it, even though I think the reaction is meant to be happiness/relief, I'm currently just thinking why the **** does the world make my life be so ridiculous and how the **** did this happen?

Anyway, if I'm still around in years to come I'm sure I'll appreciate the fact that things seem to have fallen into place academically, even if right now it just feels completely absurd to be typing this post.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    fat talk
    Spoiler:
    Show
    feeling really fat today
    like REALLY fat.

:hugs: I hope things are alright with your step dad?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Well done for showering eventhough it can make you feel worse. Just cos you feel fat doesn't mean you are. Do you have scales? If so, go weigh yourself and use the NHS site you see how healthy your weight it. My bet is it will be a lot better than you think. Maybe you have a little extra "flab" you want to get rid of but don't do anything silly like stopping eating. Have some fruit if you're hungry, it'll help you feel better too cos of the natural sugars, and have a glass of water or something. De-hydration can make you feel really ****ty as can low sugar or vitamins. You could look up how to keep a balanced diet or foods which will help your mood so you feel like you're doing something to stay healthier but still get to eat and stay fueled.
    As long as you are a healthy weight (i suspect you are) it's not really a matter of dieting or anything, just maybe a bit of toning. You can still do it sitting down or without involving your knee much. Try hula hooping or tossing a ball in the air a bit. Just cos you're sitting down doesn't mean you aren't exercising. I've even heared that sucking your belly in while you're walking helps tone you. Dunno if it's true or not but it's deffinately easy to try.
    A little exercise may help your knee too (depending on what it is) just do a little walk or lift it up and down a bit. Nothing to strain it, just keep it moving a little.

Whatever you're doing try having something in the background to keep your mind from wandering. Just something like TV, music or a book will do, anything to take your focus. I quite like colouring. It keeps me moving a bit and keeps me focused

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by asdfgah)
    So apparently I've come through this horrible, horrible year with a first. Currently not really believing it, because just wtf. Not what I was expecting at all. I laughed when I saw it, even though I think the reaction is meant to be happiness/relief, I'm currently just thinking why the **** does the world make my life be so ridiculous and how the **** did this happen?

Anyway, if I'm still around in years to come I'm sure I'll appreciate the fact that things seem to have fallen into place academically, even if right now it just feels completely absurd to be typing this post.
    Congratulations, that's a massive achievement, you should be really proud of yourself! :party: I know the feeling though... I got a Distinction (equivalent to a First) last year, and felt like I shouldn't have because of everything (and like you say, wonder how it happened...).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Congratulations! That's really good
    A lot of the time people who are doing well can think they're doing badly just cos they can know what little bits they're missing while not realising the mass that they've already put in. If you can do that well when you're feeling like this just imagine what you could do when you're feeling better. It's wonderful that you still managed to do so well when you were feeling so bad, you have a lot of strength to be able to do that. Keep at trying to feel better. Now that you have that first you can give a lot more focus to yourself and your wellbeing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

A massive congratulations! That's absolutely incredible, you should be incrediblyk incredibly proud of yourself. :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    :hugs: I hope things are alright with your step dad?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Well done for showering eventhough it can make you feel worse. Just cos you feel fat doesn't mean you are. Do you have scales? If so, go weigh yourself and use the NHS site you see how healthy your weight it. My bet is it will be a lot better than you think. Maybe you have a little extra "flab" you want to get rid of but don't do anything silly like stopping eating. Have some fruit if you're hungry, it'll help you feel better too cos of the natural sugars, and have a glass of water or something. De-hydration can make you feel really ****ty as can low sugar or vitamins. You could look up how to keep a balanced diet or foods which will help your mood so you feel like you're doing something to stay healthier but still get to eat and stay fueled.
    As long as you are a healthy weight (i suspect you are) it's not really a matter of dieting or anything, just maybe a bit of toning. You can still do it sitting down or without involving your knee much. Try hula hooping or tossing a ball in the air a bit. Just cos you're sitting down doesn't mean you aren't exercising. I've even heared that sucking your belly in while you're walking helps tone you. Dunno if it's true or not but it's deffinately easy to try.
    A little exercise may help your knee too (depending on what it is) just do a little walk or lift it up and down a bit. Nothing to strain it, just keep it moving a little.

Whatever you're doing try having something in the background to keep your mind from wandering. Just something like TV, music or a book will do, anything to take your focus. I quite like colouring. It keeps me moving a bit and keeps me focused

Posted from TSR Mobile
    dunno hes not speaking to me im always in his bad books, cant do anything right!

Spoiler:
    Show
    oh i am, i weighed myself the other day, and im at my heaviest
    Spoiler:
    Show
    more than anyone could imagine, put it this way, size 20 clothes
    iv always been bigger than everyone else, and it never bothers me, until i have "fat" days and i think cos im "on" im just feeling **** anyway.
    yeah my bf reckons i could be a bit dehydrated, cos i didnt drink much yesterday.
    im at the drs on tuesday to find out whats actually wrong, basically it aches and is very painful. i badly clicked it a month ago, but its been an ongoing issue for a few years now...

my mums home now, but got the tv on

That's a shame! Is your knee issue just current or chronic? Also, if I may ask, are you even fat or do you just perceive yourself as fat?
    think its chronic
    Spoiler:
    Show
    im genuinly fat

congratulations thats really good.
    so pleased for you

Hey but that's great! Imagine what you achieved even though you had a horrible year, you should be proud of yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how this works, but I guess for me just saying (or writing rather) might help. I am rather socially awkward, I never know what to say and often feel left out. On top of that I suffer from hyper-hidrosis (excessive sweating beyond the natural need to cool the body) which means I dread leaving the house. So basically I don't have too many friends, and since I moved around a lot the few I do have aren't close. On top of that I used to have I had a girlfriend once and while I always cherished that memory and knowing others here on TSR saying they never did makes me realize I was lucky for that. But at the moment it just makes me feel even worse because I want that again, just lying in someone's arms loving and being loved, I miss that.

I am also at the stage of my life where I should look for jobs or at least internships. But I dread that too. I hadn't done it during the summer holidays like everyone else seems to have and I feel like if I apply somewhere people will just dismiss me right out thinking I'm lazy and don't show initiative. I know the rational thing would be to just apply to everywhere and sooner or later get lucky, but it's as if I am paralyzed, I can't put myself out there.

So overall I am rather depressed at the moment. I don't know what to do in life. I wake up shaking, teeth clattering and feeling like staying in bed all day. I go lie on the couch and my mum usually talks to me and after some time I can at least get up to do stuff.
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you're feeling depressed. Hyperhydrosis sucks.. I've experienced it myself. I'm sure you've tried lots of things but if not this site is quite good.

http://www.hyperhidrosisuk.org/treatment-options.html

All the things you want like feeling more socially connected, a relationship and successful internerships etc are all absolutely obtainable for you. However if you are feeling de-motivated, tired and depressed it can seem like they are out of reach.

I wonder if you have seen a counsellor or a GP to talk about how you feel?

Good that your mom is being supportive.

Hug,

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.