Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    I wouldn't be against signing nobody else this window and seeing where we're at come January. Then we can go in to the summer get our signings and really push on next year
    If we sign no one else we'll be fighting for 4th place by January. At best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    Worst
    Mu****a never loved us
    ****a never loved us
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thas right bae, keep spittin dat drizzy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    This. With Diaby injured, our central midfield is essentially the same as last year. And look what happened there in the big games...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by De Chirico)
    We should do. Wenger said 15-31st will be busy for him again, and has pretty much confirmed that we'll be adding at least a CDM.

To be fair, all our midfield requires is a CDM.. Then we need a Verm replacement (which Wenger said he'll get for sure) and if we're really pushing it then a striker.

Though I'd be happy with playing Sanchez as a false 9 and just buying a CDM and a Verm replacement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    This. With Diaby injured, our central midfield is essentially the same as last year. And look what happened there in the big games...
    As much as I love Diaby, I've just stopped considering him as a part of our squad. He's still Arsenal don't get me wrong but I just assume he doesn't exist :/ any game time the poor lad gets is luxury for us and him.

Sad really, if he stayed fit who knows what he could have done for us

ReputationRep:
    Id rather give arteta one last chance. He'll know the criticism he's been getting and I expect him to have a pirlo-esque revival and dominate this season. Say what you want about him but nobody passes over 15 yards as
    consistently as him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    As much as I love Diaby, I've just stopped considering him as a part of our squad. He's still Arsenal don't get me wrong but I just assume he doesn't exist :/ any game time the poor lad gets is luxury for us and him.

Sad really, if he stayed fit who knows what he could have done for us
    Yeah, same, he is a tragic case really. He had so much potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Id rather give arteta one last chance. He'll know the criticism he's been getting and I expect him to have a pirlo-esque revival and dominate this season. Say what you want about him but nobody passes over 15 yards as
    consistently as him
    A Pirlo-Esque revival?

I would love that, but I honestly don't see it happening.

He is a really good player. He's technically really good, has bags of experience, is intelligent and has leadership qualities. Only problem with him is that his age is catching up on his legs.. And that's where we're caught out.

Going forwards he's not so much of a problem. It's the defending that adds to our losses in the bigger games

Imagine though.. Imagine he does a mad one this season lol

ReputationRep:
    ^ :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micah Richards)
    ^ :rofl:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407623246.317167.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  28.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    A Pirlo-Esque revival?

I would love that, but I honestly don't see it happening.

He is a really good player. He's technically really good, has bags of experience, is intelligent and has leadership qualities. Only problem with him is that his age is catching up on his legs.. And that's where we're caught out.

Going forwards he's not so much of a problem. It's the defending that adds to our losses in the bigger games

Imagine though.. Imagine he does a mad one this season lol
    arteta though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    arteta though...
    He isn't a bad player though. You lot make it out as though he should never have been anywhere near Arsenal.

His criticism stems from his defensive incapability.. Which is because he's aging. When he was bought I thought he fitted into the squad well.

Different story now though - I wouldn't really want him starting lol
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, we don't even need a CDM. All I want Wenger to do is sign a 6ft+ hench black guy to sit somewhere in midfield.

Everyone, time to post your predictions for tomorrow!

I reckon it will be City 3-2 Arsenal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    He isn't a bad player though. You lot make it out as though he should never have been anywhere near Arsenal.

His criticism stems from his defensive incapability.. Which is because he's aging. When he was bought I thought he fitted into the squad well.

Different story now though - I wouldn't really want him starting lol
    a deficiency in the ability to defend whilst playing in a team with such attacking players like arsenal is almost the worst deficit he can have.

when you bought him, he was a solid player and a good buy but he really hasn't lived up to what i expected of him.

in any case, he isn't quality enough to replace any players further forward in your team, and he isn't good enough defensively to be reliable enough to shield your back four.

in that respect, i suppose he can be compared to gerrard.
    the only difference is that gerrard is still a world class set piece taker and passer (any distance).

ReputationRep:
    as for tomorrow, it's a tough one.

part of me wants you to surprise city and make them look beatable.
    but the majority wants me to see you fail badly (still a little bitter about sanchez).

i'm gonna go with 3-1 city.
    your attacking players are too good for you not to score.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...Barcelona.html

Oh dear ...

ReputationRep:
    Look at it this way.. TV as captain never played..

So..

Maybe arteta will be used the same way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    a deficiency in the ability to defend whilst playing in a team with such attacking players like arsenal is almost the worst deficit he can have.

when you bought him, he was a solid player and a good buy but he really hasn't lived up to what i expected of him.

in any case, he isn't quality enough to replace any players further forward in your team, and he isn't good enough defensively to be reliable enough to shield your back four.

in that respect, i suppose he can be compared to gerrard.
    the only difference is that gerrard is still a world class set piece taker and passer (any distance).
    Yes. Which is exactly what I said.

I said that as it stands, I wouldn't want Arteta starting in our midfield because he isn't competant enough to do so (considering Wenger plays him as a CDM, and has done so since he was bought).

He's 32, playing him as a CDM along side a box to box CDM means you won't get the best out of him. When Ramsey is further up and Arteta is left alone, what's he gonna do against a pacey counter? Nothing right?

I remember in the 12-13 season he made the most passes, something like 0.9 per minute in the whole season. And all of which had a ridiculously good success rate.. I think 92/93%?

Wenger plays him as a CDM and he's no good at it now, but a year or two ago he was our unsung hero - he would break attacks up like it's nothing

Yeah, he's not better than any of our players going forwards, and isn't good enough to be our starting CDM.. Which is why I wouldn't want us to rely on him all season

ReputationRep:
    Being captain is more than being on the pitch every game. I don't agree that the captain has to be a first team regular. He has to have the respect of the entire squad and management.

I can understand Wenger's logic in appointing Arteta Capt and Mert VC if he does do that.

ReputationRep:
    arteta is a born leader, if he was a regular (hopefully not) there should be no question on whether he should be captain tbh

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.