Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Warwick are pretty volatile, it's hard to know what exactly they're looking for but I'd guess it's either GCSEs (no. of A*s) and/or PS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hear a big increase in applications to warwick this year especially from international students and offers given to only 10% of applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsyboo)
    I hear a big increase in applications to warwick this year especially from international students and offers given to only 10% of applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    From someone who went to post offer visit day last week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsyboo)
    From someone who went to post offer visit day last week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So is this it.... Have all offers gone out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuairiJH)
    Join the club! I swear warwick seems like the hardest uni to get into atm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is literally unbelievable!! Your stats are so good, why would they reject??? I'm still waiting on Warwick as well and bath @kido123
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMR1997)
    From my point of view, those of us taking economics care more about future career prospects than those applying for more vocational courses (English, Classics etc). I would say that the order for career prospects (based heavily on rankings but also employers at a career fair I attended) is Warwick>UCL>Bath>Bristol. Bristol might edge Bath overall but Bath has a real focus on placements and really preparing you for the labour market.
    I'm being really pedantic here but those aren't vocational subjects...

The word you were looking for is "academic".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I'm being really pedantic here but those aren't vocational subjects...

The word you were looking for is "academic".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah that's not pedantic, that was quite a big mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm an international student trying to decide between St.Andrew's M.A. Economics, L100 (4 years) and Exeter B.A. Economics, L100 (3 years). St.Andrews clearly mentions that the 4-year course equates to a BSc/M.A. and that it is an undergraduate programme, not a Masters. I like both the universities, but is it worth spending an extra year in terms of money and time at St.Andrew's? Please do let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukuniversity2015)
    Hello,
    I'm an international student trying to decide between St.Andrew's M.A. Economics, L100 (4 years) and Exeter B.A. Economics, L100 (3 years). St.Andrews clearly mentions that the 4-year course equates to a BSc/M.A. and that it is an undergraduate programme, not a Masters. I like both the universities, but is it worth spending an extra year in terms of money and time at St.Andrew's? Please do let me know your thoughts.

Thank you
    I'd go with Exeter bro. Rather than do the 4th year at St Andrews you could do a year of Industrial experience at Exeter which would help you secure a graduate role in the future (and you get paid too).

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=economics. Exeter is 10th and St Andrews is 11th so they're pretty equal reputation wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rkai01)
    Wow because I spoke to someone at Bristol a few days ago and that person said It is in the top 3-5 of job prospects(this sorta stuff). Obviously I guess there all good. But some would say UCL and Warwick are one bracket differentiated higher and I dont know the reason behind that.
    In terms of graduate starting salary average it's UCL>Warwick>other 2. For career prospects you really can't beat London. If you need to attend an interview you can be there in no time, it's practically quite difficult from other places because you have to faff around with accommodation and stuff. Also UCL is harder to get into if you believe which.uni's offers over applications % (UCL 30%, Warwick 60, Bristol 59). This all being said MORSE at Warwick is about as good as you can get for career prospects.

*biased because accepting a UCL Economics offer but do check out which.uni, it's a useful site*

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Warwick gave offers to over 90% of applicants this year, so...

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide on who to firm/insure. All my offers so far have been a*aa however Nottingham are lenient with this (if I firm them they would allow AAA). However I would like to firm UCL (assuming they send me an offer) and insure Nottingham but this would be pointless as I'd get rejected by both if I get AAA. My question is, is it worth taking the risk to go to UCL or should I just firm nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pat.bateman)
    I'm trying to decide on who to firm/insure. All my offers so far have been a*aa however Nottingham are lenient with this (if I firm them they would allow AAA). However I would like to firm UCL (assuming they send me an offer) and insure Nottingham but this would be pointless as I'd get rejected by both if I get AAA. My question is, is it worth taking the risk to go to UCL or should I just firm nottingham?
    I would say it's definitely worth the risk to go to UCL- its miles better compared to Nottingham, and you'll regret it if you end up getting A*AA and have to go to Nottingham rather than UCL. It depends how likely you think you are to get the A* though, and would Nottingham definitely not give a place if you insure them and get AAA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    Somehow I find that quite hard to believe looking at some of the people who've been rejected on this thread alone with really excellent grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Somehow I find that quite hard to believe looking at some of the people who've been rejected on this thread alone with really excellent grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't say 100% of candidates did I. So obviously some are going to be rejected. However, there are always exceptional cases. This individual's grades might have been good, but there may have been some fundamental issues with his personal statement or reference.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say 100% of candidates did I. So obviously some are going to be rejected. However, there are always exceptional cases. This persons grades might have been good, but there may have been some fundamental issues with his personal statement or reference.
    Hmm true but I'd expect a greater percentage to be rejected as there will be a fair few people who apply who already don't meet the grades let alone ones who are rejected even with the right grades of that makes sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No you're definitely wrong. Warwick emailed me saying that the applicant to place ratio is about 10:1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HBS_34)
    I would say it's definitely worth the risk to go to UCL- its miles better compared to Nottingham, and you'll regret it if you end up getting A*AA and have to go to Nottingham rather than UCL. It depends how likely you think you are to get the A* though, and would Nottingham definitely not give a place if you insure them and get AAA?
    The admissions tutor at notts said I'd be unlikely to get in if I insured. Idk if they're saying that because they want to make me firm it. I've heard of people getting in with aab so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't but that's what they said :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjones)
    No you're definitely wrong. Warwick emailed me saying that the applicant to place ratio is about 10:1.
    Think it was a joke

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.