Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    Yep I'm completely guessing! I saw that they were interviewing earlier this year, but I'm not sure that solves their problem. If people are flat out not going to their Warwick interview it means that Warwick was never their first choice. So interviewing earlier will improve attendance, however, if those same candidates get offers from their preferred uni and reject Warwick, they may end up giving lots of offers out to people wait listed (thus in the end ~70% get offers anyway). I should really stop with all this conjecture...
    That is so true. But look at the info on the website: "Warwick has approximately 380 places at Selection Centre each year. Invitations to Selection Centre will be sent out in early December 2015." Of course, it says "each year", but I feel that the number won't be greatly different if they still state it after updating all the info. .

Last year the ratio was roughly 1:2 before a lot of people pulled out after receiving offers from other unis.
    So they have 170 places to study, but are likely to give out more offers, perhaps around 200. So if the info on the website is up to date, the interviewsffers ratio is still the same as last year. The difference is that they will at least fill the selection centre. Hence, as was pointed out above already, it probably does not change the chance of applicants to obtain an interview, but it does change the chance of an interviewee to get an offer as stronger applicants who will soon after firm other universities will be at the selection centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstieW)
    How did you find the interview at Birmingham? I'm applying this year and want to try to be as prepared as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not good! I suck at MMI apparently. They were all very friendly and the situation itself wasn't too stressful but you only have 6 minutes per station and only one of those was on work experience/personal statement and 6 minutes isn't a lot to talk about that. The rest were on individual qualities of a doctor. If you just stay calm and get straight to the point you'll be fine, good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Does anyone know the entry requirements for 5 year Newcastle? Torn between them and Glasgow! I have a low UKCAT and just seeing which 5 year ones are best to apply with (with average A levels too!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estee92)
    Hello! Does anyone know the entry requirements for 5 year Newcastle? Torn between them and Glasgow! I have a low UKCAT and just seeing which 5 year ones are best to apply with (with average A levels too!)
    For grads, the criteria is a 2:1 degree. UKCAT wise, the cutoff is proving difficult to predict. With the 2014 spike in UKCAT scores, Newcastle's cutoff rose to ~740. In 2015, people were aware of this so there were far fewer applicants to Newcastle (as the 2015 UKCAT mean returned to the norm) and due to this, Newcastle's cutoff dropped to 575. This year, I'd expect the cutoff to return to where it usually is for Newcastle (~670-680). But this is purely speculation. There's equal possibility that Newcastle's reputation of having a very high UKCAT cutoff (à la 2014) means that there will be a low number of applicants this year (similar to last year) which will drive down the cutoff.

Good luck whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    For grads, the criteria is a 2:1 degree. UKCAT wise, the cutoff is proving difficult to predict. With the 2014 spike in UKCAT scores, Newcastle's cutoff rose to ~740. In 2015, people were aware of this so there were far fewer applicants to Newcastle (as the 2015 UKCAT mean returned to the norm) and due to this, Newcastle's cutoff dropped to 575. This year, I'd expect the cutoff to return to where it usually is for Newcastle (~670-680). But this is purely speculation. There's equal possibility that Newcastle's reputation of having a very high UKCAT cutoff (à la 2014) means that there will be a low number of applicants this year (similar to last year) which will drive down the cutoff.

Good luck whatever you decide.

575?!!!! Sorry to confirm is this for the 4 year or 5 year entry? Thank-you very much for the details

ReputationRep:
    575?!!!! Sorry to confirm is this for the 4 year or 5 year entry? Thank-you very much for the details
    5 year course.

ReputationRep:
    5 year course.
    Oh wow, thank-you! Contemplating bumping off one of my Gamsat 4 year unis to apply to it now...

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thank-you! Contemplating bumping off one of my Gamsat 4 year unis to apply to it now...
    Remember, take everything I've said with a grain of salt. Nobody can accurately predict what this year's cutoff score will be!

ReputationRep:
    Legit panicking right now. My referee haven't submitted my reference letter yet 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albert95)
    Legit panicking right now. My referee haven't submitted my reference letter yet 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do they know the deadline is today?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When did you last hear from him/her? Give them a call!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah639)
    When did you last hear from him/her? Give them a call!
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    Do they know the deadline is today?
    I've been waiting for him at uni since 10 and he finally appeared. He said he'll do it this afternoon so pheww and yeahh he knows the deadline is today. I just want to submit it and get it over with 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah, a start date for my HCA job!

ReputationRep:
    I've been waiting for him at uni since 10 and he finally appeared. He said he'll do it this afternoon so pheww and yeahh he knows the deadline is today. I just want to submit it and get it over with 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I read this I had a mini heart attack for you! Glad you got it sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    Hurrah, a start date for my HCA job!
    Does anyone have any idea when Cambridge tell you if you've got an interview? Just thinking about trying to get the days off (if it comes to it)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if having a Bachelors degree in Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry would put you at an advantage?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Does anyone know if having a Bachelors degree in Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry would put you at an advantage?
    Not an advantage, but it does increase the amount of places you can apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    Does anyone have any idea when Cambridge tell you if you've got an interview? Just thinking about trying to get the days off (if it comes to it)
    Last year invitations went out on the 7th of November. Interviews were on the 25th/26th.

ReputationRep:
    Have a quick question....I did not do the UKCAT or GAMSAT this year. I am a graduate applicant with a 2.1 in Bio Med....which unis can I apply to? I will be doing the BMAT, but are there other unis that require no 'entrance exams'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodpeckr)
    Have a quick question....I did not do the UKCAT or GAMSAT this year. I am a graduate applicant with a 2.1 in Bio Med....which unis can I apply to? I will be doing the BMAT, but are there other unis that require no 'entrance exams'?
    You do realise the deadline to apply is 6pm today? Cambridge, Birmingham and Bristol don't require entrance exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.