Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    It's A*AA for Theology at Pembroke you? (Assuming medicine but which college haha)
    Sidney Sussex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasey)
    I haven't received a single reading list and hence have not read a single book. I'm assuming it'll come after results day...
    Oh good. I figured that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clive Bixby)
    Hello guys, is it common that offers are given with grades specified for each subject (particularly for Medicine)?

I was given an offer of A*s in Biology and Chemistry, and As in Physics and Maths. I think it is likely that I get 3 A*s but not chem, missing the offer. I do think I am fairly close to the A* in chem - maybe 87% at worst. I still have a 20% probability of getting an A* in chem. Is anyone in a similar situation where they know they are going to miss their offer, but by only a bit? This middle waiting stage is so horrible D: Cambridge still seems so distant to me.

Also, if I am not mistaken, I have met the famous L'Evil Fish on Christ's open day... blonde, friendly, welsh accent and kinda tall. Idk lol, probably a coincidence.
    Hi! As an IB student I'm already in that position. Exceeded the total score requirement but missed the 6 in Physics by 0.1%. They've said they'll put me in the summer pool so I'm still hopeful. The trouble with vet med and medicine is the tight quota, but my logic is they already give out so few offers (for vet at least), that they must really want those they give offers to ^^ Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, is it common that offers are given with grades specified for each subject (particularly for Medicine)?

I was given an offer of A*s in Biology and Chemistry, and As in Physics and Maths. I think it is likely that I get 3 A*s but not chem, missing the offer. I do think I am fairly close to the A* in chem - maybe 87% at worst. I still have a 20% probability of getting an A* in chem. Is anyone in a similar situation where they know they are going to miss their offer, but by only a bit? This middle waiting stage is so horrible D: Cambridge still seems so distant to me.

Also, if I am not mistaken, I have met the famous L'Evil Fish on Christ's open day... blonde, friendly, welsh accent and kinda tall. Idk lol, probably a coincidence.
    You sound scarily like me... I have an offer for Medicine at Sidney Sussex too and it was specified, I hope they did that for everyone this year! I really don't think I'll get it in Biology so sounds like we'll be competing in the summer pool... good luck but also bad luck to you depending on results day

ReputationRep:
    I just REALLY hope we do enough to get in. Stats on Cambridge website show that about 1 in 18 don't get in so the chances are in our favour. Also, offer grades have gone up and people aren't allowed to retake exams (january ones) for the 2nd year so I think they will be ever so slightly more lenient than in the past. Though this is all conjecture so I know it's hard to be very optimistic.
    Also if you're using the stats that show the offers to acceptances ratio then you'll also have to take into account the fact that some people will actually have declined their offers (maybe they got into a top American university and preferred that) instead of not met them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShellySpielberg)
    Hi! As an IB student I'm already in that position. Exceeded the total score requirement but missed the 6 in Physics by 0.1%. They've said they'll put me in the summer pool so I'm still hopeful. The trouble with vet med and medicine is the tight quota, but my logic is they already give out so few offers (for vet at least), that they must really want those they give offers to ^^ Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow, only by 0.1%. I would have expected the college to accept you without the summer pool being involved. I didn't think they would think much of such a small difference. Thank you, and best of luck to you too!

Btw what college did you get the offer from, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, only by 0.1%. I would have expected the college to accept you without the summer pool being involved. I didn't think they would think much of such a small difference. Thank you, and best of luck to you too!

Yeah, 'twas quite upsetting. I'm just in the lucky position as an IB student that I was able to get a remark way in advance of the Summer Pool, so they can already take the new "UMS" (I guess the percentage score and component breakdown is the equivalent of A-level UMS) and letters from my school and everything into account. They can't really let me in before the Summer Pool for vet because of the quota, plus they want to see how A-Levels did. And also, I was given an open offer so even if I had made the offer they would have needed to wait until after A-level results to decide what college I would actually end up going to. As of now, Queens' College is handling my file, but I could end up anywhere. What about you?

ReputationRep:

Oh, also, do you or does anyone else know how much they'll still take the BMAT into account? Just a tad worried that that'll be like a thorn in my side come August 14 ^^

ReputationRep:

They usually specify the grade for a certain subject/s for a reason. There's one example of that in this article. (A few paragraphs below the pic of The Bridge of Sighs)

How much they'll be lenient to the offer holders who missed the condition will depend upon how many other missed their offer and how much by. According to someone from Peterhouse Admission, there seems to be the university-wide meeting on Medics/Vet Medics offer holders to discuss about the issue. (They receive the results from UCAS over the weekend before the result day and this meeting is held a few days before)

Maybe you can ask him the question about you case, I think the thread is not specifically for Peterhouse offer holders this time. Though I assume he can only give you a general info like above at this stage.

Very best of luck with you result and for whatever the outcome it may lead to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhetorical Hips)
    Also if you're using the stats that show the offers to acceptances ratio then you'll also have to take into account the fact that some people will actually have declined their offers (maybe they got into a top American university and preferred that) instead of not met them
    Oh my gosh, yes! That makes me happier, haha. It seems surreal that someone would decline their acceptance but I guess the appeal of living abroad and still going to a great uni is quite strong.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, 'twas quite upsetting. I'm just in the lucky position as an IB student that I was able to get a remark way in advance of the Summer Pool, so they can already take the new "UMS" (I guess the percentage score and component breakdown is the equivalent of A-level UMS) and letters from my school and everything into account. They can't really let me in before the Summer Pool for vet because of the quota, plus they want to see how A-Levels did. And also, I was given an open offer so even if I had made the offer they would have needed to wait until after A-level results to decide what college I would actually end up going to. As of now, Queens' College is handling my file, but I could end up anywhere. What about you?
    Oh I see... D:

Oh, also, do you or does anyone else know how much they'll still take the BMAT into account? Just a tad worried that that'll be like a thorn in my side come August 14 ^^
    Erm I don't know for vet. But for med, there's a thread about bmat view from different colleges. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1775130
    But the level of importance probably differs because it is the summer pool instead of pre-offer. The cut off for Queen's surely only applies before. If anything, they would probably just say the higher the better, but there are so many different factors to take into account so BMAT just forms an extra part of the application. I don't think they have applied a clear percentage importance to it - I think it really varies depending on the admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    ^ My guess is that bmat is of equal importance to interview or less really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    They usually specify the grade for a certain subject/s for a reason. There's one example of that in this article. (A few paragraphs below the pic of The Bridge of Sighs)

How much they'll be lenient to the offer holders who missed the condition will depend upon how many other missed their offer and how much by. According to someone from Peterhouse Admission, there seems to be the university-wide meeting on Medics/Vet Medics offer holders to discuss about the issue. (They receive the results from UCAS over the weekend before the result day and this meeting is held a few days before)

Maybe you can ask him the question about you case, I think the thread is not specifically for Peterhouse offer holders this time. Though I assume he can only give you a general info like above at this stage.

Very best of luck with you result and for whatever the outcome it may lead to.
    Ah thank you, that was really helpful. Though everyone in my college I know (3 others) have had their grades specified in the same way, maybe because of the relevance of the subjects to med or we might all find these subs most difficult - I know I did as my UMS is lowest for these subs of the ones I carried on to A2. It's kinda scary how they 'set the hurdles high' to test students because of 'doubt'.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thank you, that was really helpful. Though everyone in my college I know (3 others) have had their grades specified in the same way, maybe because of the relevance of the subjects to med or we might all find these subs most difficult - I know I did as my UMS is lowest for these subs of the ones I carried on to A2. It's kinda scary how they 'set the hurdles high' to test students because of 'doubt'.
    Glad you found it useful.
    It's not medicine and not queens' either, but two of my daughters friends at her college on the same course had conditional offers with specific grades on a few a-level subjects even my daughter did exact same subjects but got offer without any specification. So these things seem to happen case by case sometimes.
    But even if you miss a condition is one subject, you can apply for remarks, so it's not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Same! My reading isn't, though.

Have you had a reading list? I know some people for STEM subjects have but I haven't heard anything, so I'm wondering if its just my subject.
    I got a reading list on Monday....but an econ kid I know at the same college hasn't had anything...so idk what's going on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tara8000)
    I got a reading list on Monday....but an econ kid I know at the same college hasn't had anything...so idk what's going on
    Oh really? I feel ignored now 😄

Are any of you Engineering offer holders that didn't take Further Maths in AS or A2? :erm::erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    Are any of you Engineering offer holders that didn't take Further Maths in AS or A2? :erm::erm:
    Haven't seen any, highly doubt it!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Haven't seen any, highly doubt it!
    According to this:
    http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions...uirements.html
    1/3rd of admitted students do not have Further Maths A-level.

It doesn't say how many don't have it at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    According to this:
    http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions...uirements.html
    1/3rd of admitted students do not have Further Maths A-level.

It doesn't say how many don't have it at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was the lack of even AS I highly doubt.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.