Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    x
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    x
    Big :hugs: you two - and to all others :eek: (only caught up on this last page - if anyone wants to write up a tl;dr of the past few threads then that'd be ace Though you should probably be spending your time doing something else :yes: )

Not to the same extent, but can sympathise with weight gain stuff - mirtazapine made me put on so much weight Off it now and glad - irritating though because having lots of sleep was ace, just food cravings and the fact that sleeping lots means lower metabolism I guess/less moving about meant putting on weight quite quickly.... *ramble*

---------------------------------------------
    Hope you guys are all okay :hi: :horse: :eek: Might disappear again but :wavey:
    Will try leave this tab open and see what happens :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Really not ****ed for my psychiatrist tomorrow. He's useless. But hopefully he listened to my CPN about the dosage increase.

(Original post by purple-duck)
    :wavey:

Thanks for that response :hugs:
    i should have specified really but it isnt this thread tbh, im not that bothered about this bc this is for ppl with like well idk but like it is inrl.
    idk why im so upset over it really :rofl: like it has been like this for 7 years so idk why it is bothering me now lol.
    everyone just has their cliques and like idk i guess left out would be the word but im not 5 so there we go :laugh: i just idk, maybe im jealous :/ maybe i thought people would be better friends than to just **** off when people outperform them instead of being happy for them as i would be.
    And with regards to 'more important' i mean bc people have issues that are more important, but oh they make this so blatantly clear: 'cant talk rn busy' like yeh i get that, everyone gets busy and stuff sure but like it is all the time with like everyone like yknow it winds me up after a while. And then i feel bad saying that bc inrl and on here or wherever else people have like crises or whatever and like so i feel bad saying that but half the time i think it is bc they cant be bothered bc so many vague excuses. and then i feel bad bc well meh too identifiable to inrl ppl if i say that but yeh.
    And yeh i feel like a spaniel. i just wait for everyone all the bloody time, like and when they appear it is like cheers for the bloody effort. And everyone is so bloody oblivious, like to look at me u wouldn't suspect a lot and i dont think ppl really do tbh, like i think anxiety and shyness can manifest in an almost aloofness so ppl think im the opposite of anxious when in actual fact im just trying to avoid that particular situation of ygm. And no-one knows/really cares about nightmares and palpitations etc because well it doesn't affect a)them b)my grades c)how i intereact with ppl so why would anyone care.
    in fact why do i care cos it's not like anyone has died or my house got bombed or im moving to another part of the country :borat:
    ppl think they know everything and they know nothing.

Sorry that that was such a long reply
    ty for responding x

I am really struggling to tell anyone about my mental health problems, does anybody know of anyone of any other ways in which I could communicate them, besides verbally. Nobody (not even my family know anything about this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thanks for that response :hugs:
    i should have specified really but it isnt this thread tbh, im not that bothered about this bc this is for ppl with like well idk but like it is inrl.
    idk why im so upset over it really :rofl: like it has been like this for 7 years so idk why it is bothering me now lol.
    everyone just has their cliques and like idk i guess left out would be the word but im not 5 so there we go :laugh: i just idk, maybe im jealous :/ maybe i thought people would be better friends than to just **** off when people outperform them instead of being happy for them as i would be.
    And with regards to 'more important' i mean bc people have issues that are more important, but oh they make this so blatantly clear: 'cant talk rn busy' like yeh i get that, everyone gets busy and stuff sure but like it is all the time with like everyone like yknow it winds me up after a while. And then i feel bad saying that bc inrl and on here or wherever else people have like crises or whatever and like so i feel bad saying that but half the time i think it is bc they cant be bothered bc so many vague excuses. and then i feel bad bc well meh too identifiable to inrl ppl if i say that but yeh.
    And yeh i feel like a spaniel. i just wait for everyone all the bloody time, like and when they appear it is like cheers for the bloody effort. And everyone is so bloody oblivious, like to look at me u wouldn't suspect a lot and i dont think ppl really do tbh, like i think anxiety and shyness can manifest in an almost aloofness so ppl think im the opposite of anxious when in actual fact im just trying to avoid that particular situation of ygm. And no-one knows/really cares about nightmares and palpitations etc because well it doesn't affect a)them b)my grades c)how i intereact with ppl so why would anyone care.
    in fact why do i care cos it's not like anyone has died or my house got bombed or im moving to another part of the country :borat:
    ppl think they know everything and they know nothing.

Sorry that that was such a long reply
    ty for responding x
    Oh sorry No that's my fault - I know that previously people have become annoyed/felt a bit ignored sometimes on the thread so sort of was responding to that :hugs:

Any new people been wanting to sort of get back in touch with over the summer and such/perhaps just sort of the fact it's been like this for 7 years is just making you feel a bit fed up? Don't know, sorry been happening so long though.
    Nah understand feeling left out - particularly with people you know already I guess? Or people you'd *like* to know? Definitely find that with some societies and also just friends from school I'd like to be closer to - though part of that is just my fault/more just me being ill has made it more difficult/scary to try and force myself on people and to get closer, don't know though - is definitely frustrating - and yeah think is sort of a mix of jealousy for me sort of - I'm not sure whether jealousy is always bad though/is sort of a negative word but is fine to be that? Or not I *think* it is/don't like being negative so am hoping for my sake that it's fine

Aaah that makes sense Yeah :yes: Is confusing.
    Yeah :hugs: yeah can understand that, I don't have an anxiety disorder, but I think as a talkative introvert-y-person that people can assume that I'm quite extroverted or whatever, when actually I quite often want to disappear and hide away wit hdepression and stuff.
    I'm sure they will affect grades and life in a way? Maybe not directly? But if they're impacting on your mental health - or even just sleep then will have an affect? and obviously if matters to you then should matter to others too?

Because they're not nice to experience either!

No don't be! :eek: Realise I haven't got many proper responses, but :hugs: Hope nightmares and stuff subside soon Are you in contact with your GP about stuff like this?

I am really struggling to tell anyone about my mental health problems, does anybody know of anyone of any other ways in which I could communicate them, besides verbally. Nobody (not even my family know anything about this).
    :hugs: I know that others here have written letters to family members to sort of outline how they're feeling - one person comes to mind who I think said they wrote a letter and left it for one of their parents along with a flyer/pamphlet about depression/MH?
    I think I first opened up to family about it by just facebook messaging my brother with a sort of short paragraph, with an added in thing of asking him not to tell parents - but obviously that is up to you.

I only recently told my parents this summer, and did that over the phone initially which sort of helped - I wrote a small script with my mental health coordinator from the Uni's support services, and sort of half went off of that. I think it's definitely helped, particularly if you can set ground rules on what they're allowed to ask/how often and stuff imo (I was worried about losing my privacy by telling them)
    Just not *having* to lie when they ask how I am or whatever is quite a bit of a relief?
    But yes - I'd maybe suggest a letter particularly as you can then sort of rehearse everything you'd like to say/let them know exactly what you want, as well as not having to tell someone directly about it.

Sorry you are struggling so much at the moment :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Really not ****ed for my psychiatrist tomorrow. He's useless. But hopefully he listened to my CPN about the dosage increase.
    Hope it's alright :hugs: Sorry they are

ReputationRep:
    Im the person Purple duck reffered too.

I first told most people none verbally. The first person i ever told i told via text that id been put on antidepressants.
    And i told my mum by putting a booklet about depression in her work bag (she works nights) and a note basically saying sorry im a **** daughter and failed uni, but im on anti depressants.

And i woke up the next day when she was asleep and found the note i wrote on the table, but on the other side shed wrote a reply saying that she still loved me and would do anything to support me (i.e taking me to drs appointments)
    And then we kinda had a mutual agreement not to say much in front of other people (mostly my step dad) and shes been great ever since, even when i was put on antipsychotics

Other than that im now very open about my mental health on social media now aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Good luck; I hope your appointment goes as well as it can.

Have you inquired about getting a second opinion? One of the rights with the NHS is being able to get a second opinion. You might find a more competent psychiatrist that way though it would probably mean another waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    Big :hugs: you two - and to all others :eek: (only caught up on this last page - if anyone wants to write up a tl;dr of the past few threads then that'd be ace Though you should probably be spending your time doing something else :yes: )

Not to the same extent, but can sympathise with weight gain stuff - mirtazapine made me put on so much weight Off it now and glad - irritating though because having lots of sleep was ace, just food cravings and the fact that sleeping lots means lower metabolism I guess/less moving about meant putting on weight quite quickly.... *ramble*

---------------------------------------------
    Hope you guys are all okay :hi: :horse: :eek: Might disappear again but :wavey:
    Will try leave this tab open and see what happens :eek:
    Hey purple-duck! :five: It's been a long time! How've you been/how are you now?

And yeah, mirtazapine munchies can really make you gain a lot of weight.

ReputationRep:
    Hope it's alright :hugs: Sorry they are

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    Good luck; I hope your appointment goes as well as it can.

Have you inquired about getting a second opinion? One of the rights with the NHS is being able to get a second opinion. You might find a more competent psychiatrist that way though it would probably mean another waiting list.
    It would probably be an even longer waiting list and I don't see the point. Tbh I think he's the only NHS psychiatrist in this area as all medical professionals I have came into contact with always mention him.

ReputationRep:
    So today I was in with the psychiatrist for 25 minutes, my longest ever! :woo:

Improvement.

Anyway, he is requesting brain scans due to my horrible migraines. He doesn't expect anything to show but since my hallucinations have been coming on thick and fast in tbe last few months, he wants to be sure.

I'm also switching meds. It's been decided that I'm just too sensitive to high doses. What I have experienced with queitiapine on 25mg has him a bit worried. So trazodone, anyone? No weight gain, which is a massive positive because my hormones are ****ed, according to the gynaecologist, so I need to keep my weight down.

ReputationRep:
    Today a friend told me that my papa's fight had inspired them to sign up on the organ donation register. Words can't describe how much that meant to me papa's struggle isn't in vain if he can inspire others to sign up and help save countless others in the future

He also got on well with the kidney consultant yesterday. There was talk of him having to maybe get hospital dialysis instead of home but he seems to be responding well to the new home machine now finally so he can stay at home and his blood is back to normal after that bad infection he had we were up at the hospital for 3 hours yesterday and it was bloody roasting and crowded. My nerves were shot but just so glad we got some good news.

ReputationRep:
    Got my PIP re-assesment letter through and have been downgraded from enhanced daily living to standard daily living - one point away from enhanced so appealing the decision. So frustrating. But at the same time I feel lucky to even get it as I've seen on here the struggle some people go through and reading online.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Today a friend told me that my papa's fight had inspired them to sign up on the organ donation register. Words can't describe how much that meant to me papa's struggle isn't in vain if he can inspire others to sign up and help save countless others in the future

He also got on well with the kidney consultant yesterday. There was talk of him having to maybe get hospital dialysis instead of home but he seems to be responding well to the new home machine now finally so he can stay at home and his blood is back to normal after that bad infection he had we were up at the hospital for 3 hours yesterday and it was bloody roasting and crowded. My nerves were shot but just so glad we got some good news.
    I'm so glad you guys got some good news!

ReputationRep:
    Feel so rubbish. Feeling really anxious and I'm not sure what to do about it. Went out last night and had a panic attack and my friend was trying to look after me and make sure I was ok but I was an absolute dick and practically ran off from him. :facepalm: Hope I'm ok in work tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want the audiobook of 'Voluntary Madness' on CD for free? (you'll have to pay for postage).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voluntary-M.../dp/0099513439

Otherwise I'll take it to the charity shop. Really good read on psychiatric hospitals/mental health. I paid like £15 for this but though would share with my fellow MHSS peeps for freezies *

ReputationRep:
    can they put me in hospital for not taking my antipsychotics? Even if I haven’t become really unwell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnie)
    can they put me in hospital for not taking my antipsychotics? Even if I haven’t become really unwell.
    Well, theoretically only if you are at risk.

However, as previously posted, I went to the psychiatrist the other day told him I'd stopped taking my clozapine a couple of weeks ago and am coming off the amisulpride. He said that although he knew I was not at any risk at all to myself or others, due to my presentation of deterioration on mental health he believed that if I don't start medication soon (as in that night) he would call a mental health act assessment.

So I think we're in a similar situation with the clozapine.

What's the situation? Why do you ask?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)

So I think we're in a similar situation with the clozapine.

What's the situation? Why do you ask?*
    The only symptoms i've been getting is a crowd noise intermittently throughout the day. It's something I can deal with and I find it much more tolerable than the side effects... especially as i'm trying to lose weight.

I've not had any psychotics for around 4 weeks now... and trying to cover it up is actually more damaging as before my blood test I take my full dose which is really dangerous if you've been taking nothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinnie)
    The only symptoms i've been getting is a crowd noise intermittently throughout the day. It's something I can deal with and I find it much more tolerable than the side effects... especially as i'm trying to lose weight.

I've not had any psychotics for around 4 weeks now... and trying to cover it up is actually more damaging as before my blood test I take my full dose which is really dangerous if you've been taking nothing...
    If you don't feel you're getting worse than it should be ok. However, you did post a few days ago believe that sounded pretty worrying, and similar to what I reported to the psychiatrist who then threatened section.

In regards to the blood test, please do not take a full dose or even a small dose before a test. Mostly because it's highly dangerous as when you've stopped clozapine for more than 72 hours you have to be re-titrated from 25mg again and can cause the flu like symptoms at any dose which I can't remember what it's called but really dangerous - which is why they have blood tests with clozapine.

Secondly it doesn't work. I did a lot of research into this myself and taking a large dose before a blood test doesn't alter the levels in your blood enough to make it look like you've been taking your prescribed dose everyday for a month.

Be careful :hugs:*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.