Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started following this thread when I was doing my PGCE 2 years ago.

Reading all your responses now, after 2 years of teaching, is a great reminder of the PGCE days and all the trials and tribulations it brought!

(I'm also avoiding marking right now...procrastination at its best!)

ReputationRep:
    Had a rejection for a job at te school I'm currently at. Reason being my application wasn't long enough. Hey ho. I always thought quantity over quality and the fact that they're already seen me teach for 6 weeks might have been a factor.

Onwards and upwards - it was a blessing in disguise I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    What's meant to be, will be!

Am sure there's a better place for you at another school.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me posting this year as I've had no replies on the other PGCE thread and would love a little bit of guidance, perhaps some of you have a better idea on an answer... Mods feel free to delete if it's an actual issue...

Can anyone give me their impression on the audit that this school has sent me? You have to grade the first column from 1-5 based on competency, I understand that. But the remaining columns say both 'grade' and 'discuss' - am I supposed to be giving full answers here? Just the number score? Bullet point responses? Some of the answers will surely be incredibly short, with not that much to say considering there are about 8 of these pages (!!! they only sent this to me on Sunday... interview is on Thursday. -_-) whilst others could be really long, and many answers will surely be so close to the one just given. Anyone have their interpretation of what exactly is expected? I'm sure I'll just end up grading each one and adding a sentence or two where I can... hmm. =/ It seems like so much to do, will take me a couple of hours at least as there is so much to go through and I'm only a newb at the moment. It's a selective girl's academy so I expect them to have a high-standard... but this seems to be pushing it when I haven't even met them yet!
    Thank you.

Name:  auditpic.png
Views: 263
Size:  16.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awe)
    Hey guys, I hope you don't mind me posting this year as I've had no replies on the other PGCE thread and would love a little bit of guidance, perhaps some of you have a better idea on an answer... Mods feel free to delete if it's an actual issue...

Can anyone give me their impression on the audit that this school has sent me? You have to grade the first column from 1-5 based on competency, I understand that. But the remaining columns say both 'grade' and 'discuss' - am I supposed to be giving full answers here? Just the number score? Bullet point responses? Some of the answers will surely be incredibly short, with not that much to say considering there are about 8 of these pages (!!! they only sent this to me on Sunday... interview is on Thursday. -_-) whilst others could be really long, and many answers will surely be so close to the one just given. Anyone have their interpretation of what exactly is expected? I'm sure I'll just end up grading each one and adding a sentence or two where I can... hmm. =/ It seems like so much to do, will take me a couple of hours at least as there is so much to go through and I'm only a newb at the moment. It's a selective girl's academy so I expect them to have a high-standard... but this seems to be pushing it when I haven't even met them yet!
    Thank you.

Name:  auditpic.png
Views: 263
Size:  16.7 KB
    I hate interview tasks etc... They're always so cryptic regarding what they are looking for!

Not know more of the context, I would grade in the first column, the grade under the questions and add bullet pointed examples where appropriate alongside the grade... Probably not for every box though. So like, names of strategies you might use etc.

It's probably worth contacting them to ask exactly what they are looking for. If you are unsure when filling in I'd probably err on the side of providing too much info, rather than not enough!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I hate interview tasks etc... They're always so cryptic regarding what they are looking for!

Not know more of the context, I would grade in the first column, the grade under the questions and add bullet pointed examples where appropriate alongside the grade... Probably not for every box though. So like, names of strategies you might use etc.

It's probably worth contacting them to ask exactly what they are looking for. If you are unsure when filling in I'd probably err on the side of providing too much info, rather than not enough!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply - this is exactly what I have been doing. I'm not going to email tonight because I've already 'shown' that initiative on several other things and those were a little more sensible, if you know what I mean. Plus it's tomorrow morning and it's already past 5 here, don't really want to show that failure to manage my time haha. Although they did only give me a couple of days, alongside uni work, to do it. -.-
    I simply don't have the time before tomorrow to be in-depth anyway, so I'm talking where I can but otherwise just grading a few times. =/ I just really hope this isn't used in the selection process too seriously and is more to identify gaps in knowledge for focus in training. It's just so much, taking me hours when I still need to plan my lesson. Arh! Thanks again though.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Year 8 Parents Evening tonight - I am only observing, not speaking. I get the train home - a train that is 30 minutes walk away and comes once every 90 minutes (!) and I was incredibly lucky that I happened to have a lift home yesterday as I live in one of the worst areas affected by last night's wind and all trains home from my school were cancelled. There is talk that the wind will come again this afternoon - my question is, would it be acceptable to back out of the Parents Evening if the weather gets too bad? I am really worried about how on Earth I would get home, and I would not have got home last night.

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview yesterday - very anxious!

ReputationRep:
    First placement over! Really sad to leave in the end but looking forward to placement 2. Few drinks tonight are on the cards! Well done to everyone who's made it half way.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could help me out that would be great:

When applying for a teaching job and the application form gives you 1300 words to write the covering statement do you need to present it as a letter with the school address and yours at the top? By doing so I really don't have enough words to get everything in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    If anyone could help me out that would be great:

When applying for a teaching job and the application form gives you 1300 words to write the covering statement do you need to present it as a letter with the school address and yours at the top? By doing so I really don't have enough words to get everything in...
    If it's a statement section on the job application then no you don't need to do that. If it's a separate letter then yes you do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the swift reply! I thought as much but as it's my first application was unsure and didn't want to get it wrong!

Taken about 3 and a half hours to fill it all in, going to get a few people to proof read then send it off.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be sending my first application this week as well.. On the school's application form I have to write a section for 'supporting information', which shows I can meet the job description and everything like that.. Do I still need to write a cover letter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I'm going to be sending my first application this week as well.. On the school's application form I have to write a section for 'supporting information', which shows I can meet the job description and everything like that.. Do I still need to write a cover letter?
    If the form has a massive "supporting statement" section, you don't need a letter of application but I would still send a basic cover letter.

A letter of application would be a couple of pages detailing why you're the best person for the job, whereas a cover letter is just a basic courtesy thing - ie: "Dear Mr/Mrs ......... (shows you have read the school website, know who the head is and aren't just sending applications in bulk), I am writing to apply for the post of ................. and have attached my application form providing details of my suitability for this role. Feel free to contact me if you require any further information in support of my application."

ReputationRep:
    Talking of applications, I've been told it's "highly unlikely" I'll be invited to interview by Newham in response to my pool application. First rejection of what I think will be quite a few. Chin up though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Talking of applications, I've been told it's "highly unlikely" I'll be invited to interview by Newham in response to my pool application. First rejection of what I think will be quite a few. Chin up though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi

Did they say why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Just that my grading (measure they use to decide who is successful or not) wasn't high enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was told yesterday I have a conditional offer at Edge Hill

ReputationRep:
    A job has come up in my old school! It would be a dream to go back there as a teacher so going to definitely apply for it. Says job start ASAP and I won't be able to until September, will that go against me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    A job has come up in my old school! It would be a dream to go back there as a teacher so going to definitely apply for it. Says job start ASAP and I won't be able to until September, will that go against me?
    It means that they are looking for someone to start next term. If they wanted you they could take someone on a temp contract for the term and offer it you from Sept.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.