Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    What an awful episode!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't enjoy that half as much as the 50th, TBH. Also, when the Doctor said "I've got a plan", tapping his nose, then told Clara that he didn't have a plan, he was sitting right next to the source of the truth field, so am I missing something or was that a plothole?

I'll give the next series a try though, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I missed this. When did he say that?
    When the Doctor said his face was reset, and that he was about to regenerate again. Think Clara asked how and he said new set of regens.

Probably not exactly like that but he definitely said a new cycle was given to him.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't keen to be honest - the whole thing felt a bit underwhelming, not as good as the 50th and (as regens go) not as good as Tennant's... I don't know... wasn't too fussed really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    I have mixed feelings about that episode. In general, the Christmas specials are beyond ****, and this wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't amazing either. I'll have to give it a rewatch a year or so down the line I reckon.

I'd have liked a bit more to the regeneration though. I can't help but feel that I don't have a sense of closure for Matt's Doctor.
    I rather liked the lack of closure. 10's was ridiculous. Regen should be short and sweet IMO.

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    When he came back as young matt and clara pointed out the lack of a face change, he said it'd had started, that was just the reset for a whole new regeneration cycle.
    Ah, okay. I shall have to watch it again without being distracted by a 1 year old playing with his new toy garage :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Are we to assume that there are infinite daleks across the universe, even though they were destroyed on Skaro?
    I still don't understand the Dalek's hiding inside other things thing Moffat's got going on (I think its a Moffat thing anyway). The first time it happened in Asylum of the Daleks, everyone hated it. Why would you go back to that?

What the **** anyway, Dalek stalks out of foreheads?! Come on bro. :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    I was so happy when they did the Amelia Pond stuff
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I cried too
    Glad I'm not the only one haha! though I even had tears in my eyes when it first showed him really old and he couldn't pull the cracker

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    6/10- Good in comparison to other shows but pretty average for Dr Who.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    I was so happy when they did the Amelia Pond stuff
    Thought of you the minute she was introduced

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just hope, with the Capaldi's doctor Moffat fixes everything and the stories are even more interesting and aaah! I just loved the thirty seconds of Capaldi in action. Soo excited but I cannot wait this long!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    I still don't understand the Dalek's hiding inside other things thing Moffat's got going on (I think its a Moffat thing anyway). The first time it happened in Asylum of the Daleks, everyone hated it. Why would you go back to that?

What the **** anyway, Dalek stalks out of foreheads?! Come on bro. :shakecane:
    And the fact that the woman could overpower it anyway, what the hell does that even mean? The whole episode just seemed so poorly written and the cameo of Capaldi was so similar to Tennant and Smith's portrayal of the Doctor, I hope he takes it down a more darker route! If not, like someone else said, cast David Morrisey as the next Doctor!

(Original post by Lucy96)
    Glad I'm not the only one haha! though I even had tears in my eyes when it first showed him really old and he couldn't pull the cracker

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same!! I lost it at that bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    And the fact that the woman could overpower it anyway, what the hell does that even mean? The whole episode just seemed so poorly written and the cameo of Capaldi was so similar to Tennant and Smith's portrayal of the Doctor, I hope he takes it down a more darker route! If not, like someone else said, cast David Morrisey as the next Doctor!
    I will definitely miss the quirkiness Matt brought into the role. But I'm sure Capaldi won't be like that. A brooding, dark, swearing Malcom Tucker type wouldn't be amiss right now. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    That was the doctor inside the Teselecta. not the doctor himself :yep:
    So the Teselecta can copy abilities as well as appearance? :holmes:

I thought the Teselecta Doctor only happened in episode 12 after Eleven decided to change history by asking them for a favour lol. The Doctor that started to regenerate in ep 1 was the real Doctor albeit a couple hundred years older than usual though, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    "You don't need a time machine to use iPlayer." Subtle BBC advertising there Moffat.
    Also.."KIDNEYS!" :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I was wholeheartedly disappointed with this evenings Christmas special. Too many plot points squeezed into an hour, and very few truly explained. It kept switching from point to point faster than even a hardcore fan could follow - Matt Smith deserved a better send off, to be honest. I'm not trying to belittle those who enjoyed it, as I'm sure there were many, but I did not enjoy it overall, and going by social media, I'm not unique by any means. The last five minutes whilst
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Doctor was regenerating, and Amy came back in his mind
    was a nice touch, but it was rather tacky in its execution.

However, I am glad
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Capaldi has been allowed to keep his native Scottish accent
    , which should be very interesting. He is a brilliant actor - as Smith is - but I hope Capaldi isn't crippled by the haphazard writing by Moffat, like Eleven (Twelve) was. Either Moffat needs to sort his writing out and stop over complicating things, or he needs to go, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I loved it a definite 10/10
    It was sad seeing Matt go ;(
    But I'm looking forward to Capaldi

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So the cracks in the fabric of reality was Gallifrey from the bubble universe in the 50th all along. Who would have guessed Moffat was planning this from Season 5? Guy sure does love long and winding story arcs..

Does make sense to see all enemies lined up to try and destroy them at Trenzalore though, even if I hate episodes with a medley of villains together. But a bit annoying how pretty much ALL of them knew all along since The Eleventh Hour/Pandorica Opens yet he didn't find out till now.

I do wonder what will happen to that story now though. Is it firmly closed? The Doctor said if he answered the question then they would know that they are knocking on the door of the correct universe and enter. So with Clara essentially proving it was him, they should know he was the Doctor anyway? Why did they seem to just disappear then, because if they were able to send down regen energy, surely they could come through as well? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    So the cracks in the fabric of reality was Gallifrey from the bubble universe in the 50th all along. Who would have guessed Moffat was planning this from Season 5? Guy sure does love long and winding story arcs..

Does make sense to see all enemies lined up to try and destroy them at Trenzalore though, even if I hate episodes with a medley of villains together. But a bit annoying how pretty much ALL of them knew all along since The Eleventh Hour/Pandorica Opens yet he didn't find out till now.

I do wonder what will happen to that story now though. Is it firmly closed? The Doctor said if he answered the question then they would know that they are knocking on the door of the correct universe and enter. So with Clara essentially proving it was him, they should know he was the Doctor anyway? Why did they seem to just disappear then, because if they were able to send down regen energy, surely they could come through as well? :eyeball:
    My thinking is that the Time Lords realised that there was a war on the other side and thought it would be better to close the gap and find another way to enter the universe.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.