Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    I don't think either are flavour of the month but jovetic is 90% hype at this stage off the back of a few twitter rumours. I love how when Giroud underwhelms in his first season everyone's queueing up to make excuses for him and benteke excels and its used as against him it really is priceless
    So Kevin Phillips is better than Drogba?

behave. I'm not jumping on any bandwagon because both Jovetic/Benteke are overpriced.Would be gutted given the price we'd sign either for. Higuain 19mm yes please!

Jovetic is the flavour of the month if anything no one has even really watched the bloke beyond a game here and there even if not everyone will admit that, but as soon as someone said we might get him on twitter hes suddenly the second coming ? I said after benteke smashed Liverpool at anield in december that he would be a good signing so he must have been flavour of the month for 5 months now
    I've been interested in Jovetic for a couple of seasons now; the reason I (and others, I'd assume) have never talked about him as a possible target before is because we had van Persie. I first mentioned Jovetic here right after we'd sold van Persie, and that was when we began to be linked to him as well. Like someone said, Jovetic's been extremely highly rated all over Europe for years now.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    People only care about goals and assist, what about the pass that leads to the assist. Fiorentina have an excellent attacking line, Jovetic is surrounded by quality players there he can only do better at arsenal. His progression will much like Santi. IMO Serie A is only behind the PL in terms of quality of football played.
    The new Helb, then? :awesome: :coma:

(Original post by NVgrime)
    !
    Welcome back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I've been interested in Jovetic for a couple of seasons now; the reason I (and others, I'd assume) have never talked about him as a possible target before is because we had van Persie. I first mentioned Jovetic here right after we'd sold van Persie, and that was when we began to be linked to him as well. Like someone said, Jovetic's been extremely highly rated all over Europe for years now.

Welcome back!
    RVP 2004-10 and RVP 2011- are completely different players. Jovetic plays a false 9 role, that reluctantly, Wenger has played sometimes. Never bought that he'd spend on Jovetic.

(Original post by Zürich)
    RVP 2004-10 and RVP 2011- are completely different players. Jovetic plays a false 9 role, that reluctantly, Wenger has played sometimes. Never bought that he'd spend on Jovetic.
    Jovetic is akin to early van Persie is what I meant. I don't think that means he wouldn't fit into our current system.

ReputationRep:
    So Kevin Phillips is better than Drogba?

behave. I'm not jumping on any bandwagon because both Jovetic/Benteke are overpriced.Would be gutted given the price we'd sign either for. Higuain 19mm yes please!
    How did I say that ? And what is your point ? Are you saying benteke is not better than giroud because he is in every single way from what i can tell he is stronger, more powerful, more mobile, better technical ability, better finisher, better player and he is younger. There is no real bandwagon element to admiring a player who has been bullying premier league defenders for months now and keeps begging us to sign him but to be fair most of the people who gave me **** when I said we should sign him a few months back have gone quiet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Jovetic is akin to early van Persie is what I meant. I don't think that means he wouldn't fit into our current system.
    If there is a pundit or gooner in the UK who foresaw RVP's development from the age of 28, then I'd be amazed.Absolutely no point comparing to RVP really unless you mean he'd be either pre/post 2011 RVP. No point predicting the same development for any player because it was a freak.

Fair enough Jovetic is similar to an early RVP but that is not a reason to pay 25m for him.

ReputationRep:
    Moutinho and Rodriguez from porto to monaco! Flippin heck!

ReputationRep:
    My Interest in French Football just increased. PSG V Monaco will be a awesome game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    My Interest in French Football just increased. PSG V Monaco will be a awesome game
    PSG, Monaco, Chelsea, Man City, Malaga, Anzhi...

All I can see is the death of football as no mark clubs buy their way to success. The equivalent would be a wino from the street walking into the Savoy for a slap up meal, paid for by a third party whilst those who've earned their money eat at Burger King.

Uefa? Not going to stop this? didn't think so.

Barnet for the Champions League 2016(conditional on them getting bought by a billionaire, because that's how the best teams win right?)

ReputationRep:
    PSG, Monaco, Chelsea, Man City, Malaga, Anzhi...

All I can see is the death of football as no mark clubs buy their way to success. The equivalent would be a wino from the street walking into the Savoy for a slap up meal, paid for by a third party whilst those who've earned their money eat at Burger King.

Uefa? Not going to stop this? didn't think so.

Barnet for the Champions League 2016(conditional on them getting bought by a billionaire, because that's how the best teams win right?)
    Barnet have one of the smallest grounds in the football league and have a small fanbase, so will never succeed under a sugardaddy, especially by 2016.

ReputationRep:
    How did I say that ? And what is your point ? Are you saying benteke is not better than giroud because he is in every single way from what i can tell he is stronger, more powerful, more mobile, better technical ability, better finisher, better player and he is younger. There is no real bandwagon element to admiring a player who has been bullying premier league defenders for months now and keeps begging us to sign him but to be fair most of the people who gave me **** when I said we should sign him a few months back have gone quiet
    Not having a go, because I definitely remember you raving about Benteke months ago. But from Arsenal's point of view, we're buying him for 25m after an amazing first season. The same could be said about Kevin Phillips and Marcus Stewart if anyone remembers them. Of course his all round play has been amazing but I remenber Drogba jokes at school in 2005. Joke was on us because you cant judge a player by his first season. Would not amaze me to see Giroud outscore Benteke next year one bit.

Not saying Giroud>Benteke, what I am saying is that we could get bent over for Benteke and I think we can spend our stash a bit more wisely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Barnet have one of the smallest grounds in the football league and have a small fanbase, so will never succeed under a sugardaddy, especially by 2016.
    What different does it make if they had one season ticket holder or 60,000? These days sugardaddy clubs will just find a way round it. The size, management or overperformance of a club no longer applies. All that matters is how rich the owner is, and that is the death of football. Not this year or in 5 years time but down the line they're killing football.

What I dont understand is why Uefa is so scared of these clubs? We'll have as many good players, if not more, and the punters would actually prefer it if these Sheikhs/Ruskies were told to do one. It's all wrong.

ReputationRep:
    The sooner FFP comes in the better, not that it's going to stop the sugar daddy clubs from falsifying accounts in some 'technically legal' way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    The sooner FFP comes in the better, not that it's going to stop the sugar daddy clubs from falsifying accounts in some 'technically legal' way.
    It's all wrong. One of my workmates is a Charlton season ticket holder and he often asks what the point of him going to see them is. Back in the day, you'd stick it out and wait for a few decent academy players/good manager who took you closer to the title. These days he reckons he's just paying the player's wages as Charlton have no future whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    It's all wrong. One of my workmates is a Charlton season ticket holder and he often asks what the point of him going to see them is. Back in the day, you'd stick it out and wait for a few decent academy players/good manager who took you closer to the title. These days he reckons he's just paying the player's wages as Charlton have no future whatsoever.
    All this sugar daddy stuff is just evolution of football, yes it's a wrong direction but everyone has to adapt.. Just like united have, we know we can't outspend city and Chelsea but we to manage to be in the top 2 season after season, even though city and Chelsea have better players than us..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Sugarddaddy would just rent out wembley tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Not having a go, because I definitely remember you raving about Benteke months ago. But from Arsenal's point of view, we're buying him for 25m after an amazing first season. The same could be said about Kevin Phillips and Marcus Stewart if anyone remembers them. Of course his all round play has been amazing but I remenber Drogba jokes at school in 2005. Joke was on us because you cant judge a player by his first season. Would not amaze me to see Giroud outscore Benteke next year one bit.

Not saying Giroud>Benteke, what I am saying is that we could get bent over for Benteke and I think we can spend our stash a bit more wisely.
    Yea i got the Phillips drogba thing but my point is about much more than raw goal numbers, to be honest girouds scoring rate is nothing to be snorted at at all it's just that when I watch him I feel like he's pretty ordinary and when I watch benteke I see a star in the making. Even if giroud scored more next season that wouldn't really change anything for me and to be fair benteke could be a flash in the pan but I doubt it he has got good tekkers and he's built like a tank I think he's the perfect premier league striker. I do agree that he shouldn't be a priority because the fee wouuld probably be out of hand but jut talking about him as a footballer I can't praise him enough tbh

ReputationRep:
    If we can get benteke for less than 18 million then i would go for him but the 25 million that villa is asking for is way too much

ReputationRep:
    We need a competent fourth choice centre back, wouldnt mind kolo returning. A robust mf who will give us that much needed physical presence, diame maybe? A winger since we dont really have any natural wingers apart frm ox maybe, ben arfa wud be good business, yes he has had his niggles with injury and been relatively inconsistent but I truely believe wenger could get the best out of him. Another centre forward is also a priority, giroud hasnt been as bad as people make out but we have no other centre forwards. Id go for someone like remy. Although benteke has been impressive, we already hav a targetman in giroud. Make these signings and keep our best players then the trophies will come. COYG

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsenalWenger)
    We need a competent fourth choice centre back, wouldnt mind kolo returning. A robust mf who will give us that much needed physical presence, diame maybe? A winger since we dont really have any natural wingers apart frm ox maybe, ben arfa wud be good business, yes he has had his niggles with injury and been relatively inconsistent but I truely believe wenger could get the best out of him. Another centre forward is also a priority, giroud hasnt been as bad as people make out but we have no other centre forwards. Id go for someone like remy. Although benteke has been impressive, we already hav a targetman in giroud. Make these signings and keep our best players then the trophies will come. COYG

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say n'koulou for our fourth choice centre back, keeping the mert-kos partnership going

Gonalons would be good but we'd have to get rid of the arteta-ramsey partnership although we could rotate that with gonalons-wilshere

Rather than a winger - i would like another cam with cazorla on the left as before in the season, if teams shut down cazorla we had no other creative output but rosicky has done that but he doesn't last the whole season - i've been saying lamela but i doubt we'd get him and the ox playing there against newcastle could be a sign of things to come

Striker - i would love reus but if we're being realistic benteke could work for <18 mil - dont want higuain but wouldn't mind jovetic especially if we change our formation to 4-4-1-1 or something and giroud could step up. Jovetic and benteke would be beastly but i dont think we'd get either

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.