Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pat.bateman)
    The admissions tutor at notts said I'd be unlikely to get in if I insured. Idk if they're saying that because they want to make me firm it. I've heard of people getting in with aab so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't but that's what they said :/
    Don't listen to the other guy's crap. Notts is pretty epic for econ, pretty much consistently top 10. If you end up there, your life won't be over - hell, I'd venture to say your graduate prospects would still be fantastic.

Yeah, UCL is a "target school" for IB, but at the end of the day you can break in from either - there isn't some ridiculous mile long gap between the two departments. So, choose based on which one you personally prefer as they are both great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    The application process is different, I agree, but at least we know what Oxford look for in a candidate. LSE on the other hand, are very enigmatic, we don't really know what exactly they're looking for. In my year, 8 students applied to both Oxford and LSE for Econ L101, 4 are offer holders for E&M yet only 2 of us received offers from LSE. 3 of the people that got offers for E&M were rejected by LSE, and they all had incredible personal statements. So I would still argue that LSE is slightly more difficult, because of not only the admission statistics but the ambiguity of what LSE actually perceive as an ideal candidate.
    Out of curiosity, what are the GCSE/A Level stats like for you and your mates who got offers from Oxford and LSE, and are you all doing further maths? 4 people from the same school getting E&M offers is pretty impressive man

ReputationRep:
    Anyone hoping todo economics at Surrey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Out of curiosity, what are the GCSE/A Level stats like for you and your mates who got offers from Oxford and LSE, and are you all doing further maths? 4 people from the same school getting E&M offers is pretty impressive man
    E&M is all about the TSA and interview, the rest is secondary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fha96)
    Of the 4 of us, GCSEs: 11/12A* AS: 4A/5A A2 Predictions: 4A*/5A*
    All of us studied Maths, Further Maths and Economics, then the 4th/5th subject varied between Physics pre U, Additional Further Maths, History, Geography, and English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Warwick gave offers to over 90% of applicants this year, so...
    That's bull****!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Somehow I find that quite hard to believe looking at some of the people who've been rejected on this thread alone with really excellent grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by RuairiJH)
    That's bull****!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't be taking him too seriously given his username

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether I'd even get into my insurance choice!Ah so scared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    x
    Waiting to hear a rejection from Warwick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisjones)
    No you're definitely wrong. Warwick emailed me saying that the applicant to place ratio is about 10:1.
    (Original post by RuairiJH)
    That's bull****!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    I wouldn't be taking him too seriously given his username

I know it seems hard to believe, but I'm actually being serious. At the Warwick offer holders day, 2 different tutors in 2 different departments (Maths and Economics) stated this statistic.

I understand that people who were unsuccessful don't really want to believe it, but it is a fact.

ReputationRep:
    I know it seems hard to believe, but I'm actually being serious. At the Warwick offer holders day, 2 different tutors in 2 different departments (Maths and Economics) stated this statistic.

I understand that people who were unsuccessful don't really want to believe it, but it is a fact.
    It'll still take a published statistic for me to believe that but if that's the case I really don't understand that unis admission process!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

No matter what you've been told, this is obviously untrue.
    I know 2 people with 4 A's at AS who have both been rejected. If 90% of applicants got offers, they defo would have got one, seeing as many applicants would have B/C's at AS and worse GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawaii50)
    Hey, sorry to hear about that If you dont mind me asking, when did you send your app and when did they respond
    Sent in December, Reply in Feb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndhala)
    any idea why u were rejected? PS?
    Don't really know tbh. I am a prefect and captain of rugby. My headmaster said my reference was one of the best he has read.

Probably needed 5A's and an A* prediction in further to get a Warwick offer, although, someone from my school with AAABB, B in further with A prediction, also got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)
    I know 2 people with 4 A's at AS who have both been rejected. If 90% of applicants got offers, they defo would have got one, seeing as many applicants would have B/C's at AS and worse GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the Tutors have no reason to lie, especially when it doesn't even work in the University's favour. A lot of Warwick applicants have 4As, especially for economics where this is the norm. You're forgetting the other 4 factors, which arguably are of more importance, GCSEs, A2 Predictions, Personal statement and reference.

ReputationRep:
    Well the Tutors have no reason to lie, especially when it doesn't even work in the University's favour. A lot of Warwick applicants have 4As, especially for economics where this is the norm. You're forgetting the other 4 factors, which arguably are of more importance, GCSEs, A2 Predictions, Personal statement and reference.
    So does that mean that warwick have already given out all their offers if they know that 90% had offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovyd97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have an offer from cambridge and I got rejected so I REALLY wouldn't understand the uni if 90% got an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This isn't making me feel good about my application. Still haven't heard anything from Warwick got offers from my other 4 choices. Applied in November.

GCSE - 5A* 4A and 1B
    AS- AAAAB
    A2 Predictions- A*AA (Politics, Maths, Physics)

Resitting C3 and C4 to get an A in A2 Maths (did it a year early).

Thought my PS was good but most of you have better predictions and do better subjects ( Further maths, Econ etc). They shouldn't make us wait this long

ReputationRep:

I thought this was a joke at first... you're confused. Maths at Warwick and Maths & Econ are 90% offers since there's STEP to differentiate. For straight Econ it isn't, there was an official stat on the website that it was 1 in 3 in 2012.

Warwick is one of the hardest places to get in for straight Econ, certainly harder than UCL for sure where getting AAAA & decent PS almost guarantees you an offer. There's been quite a few people on this forum this year and previous years with offers from Oxbridge/LSE yet rejections from Warwick, in my opinion they're the most unpredictable.

(And no I had offers from Camb/LSE/UCL/Warwick last year so I have no reason to be bitter)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Was this specifically for econ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.