Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    Are any of you Engineering offer holders that didn't take Further Maths in AS or A2? :erm::erm:
    I have FM A2. Those who didn't have access to the A Level or realised they needed it too late usually self-teach it to at least the AS. The Engineering course has 2 options: one more mathematically fast paced, and one slower version which is advised for those without AS, I've heard.

Are you an offer holder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    It was the lack of even AS I highly doubt.
    Anecdotally I know of a compsci and a NatSci who didn't do any further maths, the compsci took maths B and still just about managed it and maths A goes through the FM topics relatively slowly so the NatSci said it wasn't too bad either, last time I spoke to him he wanted to take IB maths but that was before exams. I hazard a guess that it would be similar for the engineers, plus they get a hench formulae book which helps them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My college hasn't sent me a reading list for law, but I've just pieced together the lists put up on other colleges' websites and I'm probably just gonna work my way through a few bits here and there. Anyone else doing the same?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone applying for an Arts subject get made an offer of A*A*A? Feel like I'm the only one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicJigsaw)
    Did anyone applying for an Arts subject get made an offer of A*A*A? Feel like I'm the only one!
    Yep :/

ReputationRep:
    Not in my case, but I have heard of a guy who got A*A*A*

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Haven't seen any, highly doubt it!
    (Original post by jneill)
    According to this:
    http://www3.eng.cam.ac.uk/admissions...uirements.html
    1/3rd of admitted students do not have Further Maths A-level.

It doesn't say how many don't have it at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh dear. Probably a waste of an application then, right? Thank you anyways.

(Original post by Elcor)
    I have FM A2. Those who didn't have access to the A Level or realised they needed it too late usually self-teach it to at least the AS. The Engineering course has 2 options: one more mathematically fast paced, and one slower version which is advised for those without AS, I've heard.

Are you an offer holder?
    No, I'd like to be though lol. Do you think I would have higher chances at Oxford, as they haven't mentioned any absolute requirements for further? If I tell them I am self-teaching it this year, do you think they would trust me and give me a chance, or is it too late? I did D1 already and I think I could learn S1 quite easily- I'm just worried about FP1. But I won't bother if there's no chance :/ Do you have an offer?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh dear. Probably a waste of an application then, right? Thank you anyways.

No, I'd like to be though lol. Do you think I would have higher chances at Oxford, as they haven't mentioned any absolute requirements for further? If I tell them I am self-teaching it this year, do you think they would trust me and give me a chance, or is it too late? I did D1 already and I think I could learn S1 quite easily- I'm just worried about FP1. But I won't bother if there's no chance :/ Do you have an offer?
    If you have good marks on Maths and Physics then Cambridge Engineering could still be appropriate - especially if you are self-teaching FM AS.

BUT for Engineering you should be focussing on M units - D1, in particular, is a waste of time.

If you have good marks on Maths and Physics then Cambridge Engineering could still be appropriate - especially if you are self-teaching FM AS.

BUT for Engineering you should be focussing on M units - D1, in particular, is a waste of time.
    Ah, I know. I've done M1 in AS and will be doing M2 in A2. Is it possible to do M3 before M2 as I might do that instead. I only did D1 because my teacher forced me at the end as I had a week gap to learn the whole unit I'm quite sure S1 comes in handy though so I might just do it too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah, I know. I've done M1 in AS and will be doing M2 in A2. Is it possible to do M3 before M2 as I might do that instead. I only did D1 because my teacher forced me at the end as I had a week gap to learn the whole unit I'm quite sure S1 comes in handy though so I might just do it too.
    I don't know enough about the maths syllabus - I'm sure someone will be along soon to help...

My point is if you are only doing AS FM there's no point wasting one of the 2 applied modules by taking D1 if you are planning on doing Engineering.

I don't know enough about the maths syllabus - I'm sure someone will be along soon to help...

My point is if you are only doing AS FM there's no point wasting one of the 2 applied modules by taking D1 if you are planning on doing Engineering.
    Ah ok, thank you. Yeah, I was just saying that I already did it and I'm quite sure I'm going to get high ums but my teacher told me that Edexcel automatically assigns your applied modules according to your best scores so it would up as a part of my grade either way
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah ok, thank you. Yeah, I was just saying that I already did it and I'm quite sure I'm going to get high ums but my teacher told me that Edexcel automatically assigns your applied modules according to your best scores so it would up as a part of my grade either way
    So exactly which modules have you already done? And your estimated or achieved UMS in each one (if possible).

ReputationRep:
    One of my good friends got an A*A*AA offer for classics. Is this (also) Magdalene college by any chance? I've heard they've taken the absolute piss with giving out high offers this year.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Jasey)
    One of my good friends got an A*A*AA offer for classics. Is this (also) Magdalene college by any chance? I've heard they've taken the absolute piss with giving out high offers this year.
    Ouch, but maybe this is why they have been giving high offers:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...-10391557.html

So exactly which modules have you already done? And your estimated or achieved UMS in each one (if possible).
    C1- 98ums (did in yr 11)
    M1- high-nineties (I hope)
    D1- high nineties (I hope)
    C2- no idea- my calculator funked up and I panicked so I used all the wrong numbers- might get a low a with method marks but don't really know. could be anything.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have a quick question, and hope someone may be able to shed light on it
    Shortly before my exams, my mother very sadly passed away. Inevitably I was in no state to revise nor sit my exams, and missed both of my biology exams. I was on OCR biology, and had done the practical (which is 20%). Last year I got 93% UMS in biology, and in the practical I suppose I should get an A. My exams officer said they will generate me a grade, but without having done either A2 examination unit, I am unsure of the grade I'll receive, and naturally very anxious.

My teachers seem to think they'll give me an A, but I have no idea how they came to such a conclusion. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesJL)
    Hey guys I have a quick question, and hope someone may be able to shed light on it
    Shortly before my exams, my mother very sadly passed away. Inevitably I was in no state to revise nor sit my exams, and missed both of my biology exams. I was on OCR biology, and had done the practical (which is 20%). Last year I got 93% UMS in biology, and in the practical I suppose I should get an A. My exams officer said they will generate me a grade, but without having done either A2 examination unit, I am unsure of the grade I'll receive, and naturally very anxious.

My teachers seem to think they'll give me an A, but I have no idea how they came to such a conclusion. Does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thanks
    Hi,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. As far as I am aware they work it out based on your other module scores and what people who achieved that got in the modules you missed on average, and that grade goes on your certificate and it doesn't say you didn't sit the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...umstances-form

Absolutely make sure one of these is filled out by your school and sent off with your application.

Very sorry to hear about your mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulLawyerHG)
    Hi,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. As far as I am aware they work it out based on your other module scores and what people who achieved that got in the modules you missed on average, and that grade goes on your certificate and it doesn't say you didn't sit the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...umstances-form

Absolutely make sure one of these is filled out by your school and sent off with your application.

Very sorry to hear about your mother.
    Thank you guys - it's much appreciated, and that doesn't sound like a bad process I hope they stick to that.

As I'm already an offer holder, me and my school just informed the college I had an offer at and they said they'd consider it if needed (w/e that entails)

ReputationRep:

I remember reading on an exam board's website what they do to generate a grade - all I remember is that they don't use your mock exam grade, or they don't take your mock exam grade into account or something.

My RS teacher got into Cambridge without sitting any of her exams due to extenuating circumstances. This is going back probably 5-10 years but I still hope that's of some consolation.

Sorry about your mother.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.