The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CescaD96)
Duh, I'm not an idiot. And it's other things that piss me off.

I dropped English Lit at the start of March...the relief! What's Philosophy like? And yeah, so should I be off here really, 13th May is my first exam.
lol that's exactly the same date as mine. resitting history AS.

Philosophy is kind of basic at A level. You don't get to study logic, the philosophy of language, mind or mathematics. But you get to form arguments so it's fun. There's two main modules; philosophy of religion and ethics. In relgion we argue stuff like religious language and meaning, the ontological argument and the attributes of God. Along with really crap stuff like religious experience. It's a great opportunity to shout at people across the room about extremely abstract arguments like "does God's omniscience stop free will".
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
They backed down on BBC 3 didn't they?
Land I've only just got into Dr who so I couldn't comment.

You'll get seen within 2 hours:yep:

Clarkson did that not the BBC.
Haha, nope... plus, I'd have to get there, and I really can't be ****ed right now - I'll suffer until tomorrow!

And Clarkson didn't do it - the BBC decided to not renew his contract. He didn't decide that...
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
They backed down on BBC 3 didn't they?
Land I've only just got into Dr who so I couldn't comment.

You'll get seen within 2 hours:yep:

Clarkson did that not the BBC.
The fact that they still suggested it though.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can watch things on the red button with freeview. I've done it.
Really? I was never able to:erm:
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Haha, nope... plus, I'd have to get there, and I really can't be ****ed right now - I'll suffer until tomorrow!

And Clarkson didn't do it - the BBC decided to not renew his contract. He didn't decide that...
then stop whining.

he attacked the guy, he caused it. If it were anyone else they would be dismissed instantly. It's clarksons fault.

The fact that they still suggested it though.
Aye, wasn't a good idea. I don't ever watch it though.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
lol that's exactly the same date as mine. resitting history AS.

Philosophy is kind of basic at A level. You don't get to study logic, the philosophy of language, mind or mathematics. But you get to form arguments so it's fun. There's two main modules; philosophy of religion and ethics. In relgion we argue stuff like religious language and meaning, the ontological argument and the attributes of God. Along with really crap stuff like religious experience. It's a great opportunity to shout at people across the room about extremely abstract arguments like "does God's omniscience stop free will".
I'm resitting an AS history paper too but it's my last exam, the 12th June.

Shockingly sounds a bit like my Religion class. My teacher is a proper Catholic bible basher, and it's a Catholic school, and I'm not into my catholic faith at all so I'm always the one arguing against.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Football is pointlessness.

but then people on freeview couldn't watch it...

actually snooker is quite interesting from a maths/physics standpoint.
football is not pointless.

they could

not really. GCSE level angles. And no one thinks about physics while doing it lol; they've learned through muscle memory what part to hit the ball to get it to go in a certain direction. Nothing more to it.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
then stop whining.

he attacked the guy, he caused it. If it were anyone else they would be dismissed instantly. It's clarksons fault.

Aye, wasn't a good idea. I don't ever watch it though.
**** that - he didn't have his steak. If I hadn't had my hot food, I'd've done more than punch a guy - I would've probably killed the guy In any case, Clarkson brought in a massive revenue for the BBC, and everyone wanted him to stay... You're right, we don't care if some nobody on the BBC gets fired for some crap. We do Clarkson.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm resitting an AS history paper too but it's my last exam, the 12th June.

Shockingly sounds a bit like my Religion class. My teacher is a proper Catholic bible basher, and it's a Catholic school, and I'm not into my catholic faith at all so I'm always the one arguing against.
i'm in a room of atheists so to be contrarian i always adopt the pro theism side of things. And because no one else there knows what they're talking about i always win.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
football is not pointless.

they could

not really. GCSE level angles. And no one thinks about physics while doing it lol; they've learned through muscle memory what part to hit the ball to get it to go in a certain direction. Nothing more to it.
What does it achieve? You might need to run away from danger in your life but kicking a ball will never save your life.

far mor then angles, you also have momentum and impulse, energy and a whole lot more maths.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
Before they ruined career mode.....
: o what did they do? I'm still on '13

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
**** that - he didn't have his steak. If I hadn't had my hot food, I'd've done more than punch a guy - I would've probably killed the guy In any case, Clarkson brought in a massive revenue for the BBC, and everyone wanted him to stay... You're right, we don't care if some nobody on the BBC gets fired for some crap. We do Clarkson.
So one rule for him and a different one for everyone else then? How is that fair? To make a man above the law just because he makes money.
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i'm in a room of atheists so to be contrarian i always adopt the pro theism side of things. And because no one else there knows what they're talking about i always win.
Most of the time I get people to agree with me.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
So one rule for him and a different one for everyone else then? How is that fair? To make a man above the law just because he makes money.
BBC is not law. The police dropped the matter... However, in any business, if given a choice to fire someone who brings in millions, or not fire him, businesses aren't gonna wanna fire them are they... plenty of cover ups happen :sexface:
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
BBC is not law. The police dropped the matter... However, in any business, if given a choice to fire someone who brings in millions, or not fire him, businesses aren't gonna wanna fire them are they... plenty of cover ups happen :sexface:
Because the guy felt intimidated by all the public pressure. And you admit they did the right thing then? By not giving in to corporate green.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
What does it achieve? You might need to run away from danger in your life but kicking a ball will never save your life.

far mor then angles, you also have momentum and impulse, energy and a whole lot more maths.
Football is high art. Extreme athleticism mixed with mathematics (and the coaches actually do have to to take that into account, unlike snooker players), game theory, and finesse. It's produced some of the great genuises of the modern era, such as Jose Mourhino and Paul Scholes.

And snooker players don't have to take that into account, because they just know where to hit the ball and how hard to make the ball go in a certain direction. That relies on memory and motor skills. You can write math equations about anything; doesn't mean it's relevant to doing the thing itself. To compare it to football is, frankly, a degradation of the status of the thinking man in society.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Because the guy felt intimidated by all the public pressure. And you admit they did the right thing then? By not giving in to corporate green.
No, I don't think the did the right thing... Despite what he's done, he made the show a fantastic Sunday night viewing, which I'm going to miss - I am pleased to here about the talks between the presenters and other guy about a new show with them in

Naughty BBC :spank:
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Fairness doesn't really matter. The corporation should have made the best decision for itself.

However Tymon is free to refer the incident if he feels that it was unlawful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Bull. ****. Pure speculation, nothing else. It was Clarkson who referred it to the Beeb - Tymon could have asked the Police to investigate before it became public.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Football is high art. Extreme athleticism mixed with mathematics (and the coaches actually do have to to take that into account, unlike snooker players), game theory, and finesse. It's produced some of the great genuises of the modern era, such as Jose Mourhino and Paul Scholes.

And snooker players don't have to take that into account, because they just know where to hit the ball and how hard to make the ball go in a certain direction. That relies on memory and motor skills. You can write math equations about anything; doesn't mean it's relevant to doing the thing itself. To compare it to football is, frankly, a degradation of the status of the thinking man in society.
:laugh: you're kidding right? Do you seriously expect me to believe that the players are running complex mathematical equations though their heads constantly? And how on earth could you call that art.

:toofunny: so you are trying to tell me that that all sporting people don't use mussel memory then? In my mind they are basically the same.
No, I don't think the did the right thing... Despite what he's done, he made the show a fantastic Sunday night viewing, which I'm going to miss - I am pleased to here about the talks between the presenters and other guy about a new show with them in

Naughty BBC :spank:
Well they will re-make it with new people, quite frankly top gear got boring for me years ago because each and every episode was basically the same.
(Original post by Cryptographic)
Fairness doesn't really matter. The corporation should have made the best decision for itself.

However Tymon is free to refer the incident if he feels that it was unlawful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
which they did...

and the public pressure on him not to do that in immense.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads