Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXIV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn Malik)
    Absolute lols, I'm shaking with anger

Yes that's key too. Banter is fine but I don't see why it's ok to say things online that you wouldn't say to somebody face to face. The people in question (aka everyone involved in the argument) have proven that they can't help to act like children though so let's just leave it at that.

Arsenal have a title winning XI right now. I'd say to improve in Europe they need someone who can sit in alongside their destroyer in the big games, as their second midfielder in the double pivot is either weak physically (Cazorla) or defensively naïve (Ramsey). Maybe Eleny can do that though. Would like to see them get a large box to box player who can drive play forward with power and be a threat from corners, as they're a quite short team in general. Obviously a new striker can go straight in (Walcott and Giroud are good enough to win them the league considering the absolute poverty state of others tbh) though. Still think City will win the league this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't tbh, City's is definitely better. City are just unlucky with injuries to key players

ReputationRep:

Wenger looking sharp back in his days :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Where do you think Arsenal need to strengthen in the summer that have realistic options and what do you feel you have to do to get further in Europe?
    Personally I'd still like another CM/DLP. Arteta Flam and Rosicky are all off leaving us with Ozil Cazorla rambo Wilsh Coq and Nenny. Whilst 6 is a good number, Wilsh is permanently injured, and Cazorla will be 32? Having another cm to come in before Santi goes and in case of injury crisis seems reasonable. There's versatility too to reduce fighting for gametime; nenny wilsh can play b2b or cdm, rambo can play out wide etc.

Other than that I'd say a truly top winger or striker although both will be hard to find and I have no realistic suggestions. Would also throw a curveball and say a back up RB; Debuchy won't be staying, Jenko hasn't exactly been consistent and Chambers should be played centrally imo. We've been lucky with Bellerin regarding injuries which no one seems go have noticed. If he gets injured we are in trouble down that side, deep trouble. Chambers vs Neymar or whoever is on lw for Barca would be painful to watch.

How to improve in Europe? Win the league and get pot 1, and then start fielding our 1st team against dross like Zagreb and Olympiakos. It isn't all that hard, win your 3 home games, beat the whipping boys of the group away and take a point at the other 2 teams. We either get complacent or have a top 3 side in our group. That'd give us a preferable last 16 draw, where we should actually take the oppo seriously and not play with the mentality of 12 year olds in a sunday league game after we score. Maybe not this year, but last year we should have topped our group based on the teams and beaten Monaco. It isn't top players we are lacking, it's the right mentality.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think this Arsenal side would have loved Essien from around 2008 in europe, or Matic.

I am a bit more worried about City now. Leicester I think are going to get top 4 personally along with Spurs(provided no serious injuries to Mahrez/Kante/Vardy). Doubt United are getting it personally. Liverpool at Anfield I don't see them getting a result. Soton I think they will win. Stoke I think a draw. You then have Chelsea away and Sunderland. You're probably going to lose to Chelsea away, Sunderland you'll beat. That's 7/15 points

Spurs have Sunderland, Leicester, Palace, Norwich and Watford. Can see Spurs getting 13/15 points here. That's a 9 point gap on spurs by mid february.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    They don't tbh, City's is definitely better. City are just unlucky with injuries to key players
    City have a poverty system though, they've still neglected their central midfield and they have extreme problems at the back. You'd say Arsenal have a better defence (including GK), a better central midfield, Özil is level with De Bruyne but Silva and Sterling trump Arsenal's other AM's. Let's not even talk about striker lel, but I'd say it's pretty even (and by title winning XI I didn't mean they have the best XI in terms of personnel, just that it's a side capable of challenging and winning the league).

Spoiler:
    Show
    so dfbi

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea probably still have the best squad for a league title personally. More balance in the side than City do e.g. and better quality than Arsenal's first 11(not by much).

ReputationRep:
    yeah jam's deluded
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Big game against Stoke, really. Namely because every time I've seen them be favourites this season, they've disappointed me, but when they are underdogs at the Britannia they seem to thrive and put in a headline performance which gets everybody talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Personally I'd still like another CM/DLP. Arteta Flam and Rosicky are all off leaving us with Ozil Cazorla rambo Wilsh Coq and Nenny. Whilst 6 is a good number, Wilsh is permanently injured, and Cazorla will be 32? Having another cm to come in before Santi goes and in case of injury crisis seems reasonable. There's versatility too to reduce fighting for gametime; nenny wilsh can play b2b or cdm, rambo can play out wide etc.

Other than that I'd say a truly top winger or striker although both will be hard to find and I have no realistic suggestions. Would also throw a curveball and say a back up RB; Debuchy won't be staying, Jenko hasn't exactly been consistent and Chambers should be played centrally imo. We've been lucky with Bellerin regarding injuries which no one seems go have noticed. If he gets injured we are in trouble down that side, deep trouble. Chambers vs Neymar or whoever is on lw for Barca would be painful to watch.

How to improve in Europe? Win the league and get pot 1, and then start fielding our 1st team against dross like Zagreb and Olympiakos. It isn't all that hard, win your 3 home games, beat the whipping boys of the group away and take a point at the other 2 teams. We either get complacent or have a top 3 side in our group. That'd give us a preferable last 16 draw, where we should actually take the oppo seriously and not play with the mentality of 12 year olds in a sunday league game after we score. Maybe not this year, but last year we should have topped our group based on the teams and beaten Monaco. It isn't top players we are lacking, it's the right mentality.
    Yeah. I do think DMs/DLP are not too hard to find. Chelsea found Matic, Juve use Khedira and Stuaro there, United got Schneiderlin, Carrick, Blind and Schweinsteigger. I think an Essien would be better though. Was saying before you shouldn't have got Khedira, but considering Coquelin's improvement, think Khedira would have slotted nicely in your team playing right next to him.

You're probably best doing what Bayern, dortmund and Chelsea did and buying south american/european wingers from Eastern European clubs. It's a great way of getting quality for cheap and the players are so damn reliable for the price you pay for them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    2014-15: Stoke 3-2 Arsenal
    2013-14: Stoke 1-0 Arsenal
    2012-13: Stoke 0-0 Arsenal
    2011-12: Stoke 1-1 Arsenal
    2010-11: Stoke 3-1 Arsenal

Surely you'll FINALLY win this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, if I learnt something from high school musical is that one must not mess with the status quo.

We win at emirates. It's only right they win as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    2014-15: Stoke 3-2 Arsenal
    2013-14: Stoke 1-0 Arsenal
    2012-13: Stoke 0-0 Arsenal
    2011-12: Stoke 1-1 Arsenal
    2010-11: Stoke 3-1 Arsenal

Surely you'll FINALLY win this weekend.
    Are you sure about that mate?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by al_94)
    Are you sure about that mate?
    What? Your record at the Britannia? Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    brev our 3 best players from last season have been injured since the start of winter (Cazorla,Sanchez,Coquelin) and we are still top over a city side who have a full strength side, bar Kompany who isnt coming back anytime soon. If that doesn't show we have a better squad than City then I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    RA95 where did this chap get to?
    That was the irony. He tried to have a right go at me for it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    If Bellerin doesn't get skinned in the Stoke away game like last season, his leg will. Never underestimate a side ready and willing to unleash its weapons (that aren't goals)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomasio)
    brev our 3 best players from last season have been injured since the start of winter (Cazorla,Sanchez,Coquelin) and we are still top over a city side who have a full strength side, bar Kompany who isnt coming back anytime soon. If that doesn't show we have a better squad than City then I don't know what is.
    A City side where Aguero, Kompany and Silva have missed about half the season each. Which is basically my point, those three (the first 2 especially) are so important to City (their record with vs without Kompany is ridiculous and Aguero is the best striker in the league) that if you take injuries away City would benefit far more than you. Cazorla and Sanchez have missed far less and without Coquelin your record is won 6 drawn 2 lost 1 so him being out isn't costing you many points.

The original comment was about starting 11s and theirs is comfortably better than yours tbh

ReputationRep:
    Lol city spent over 30m each on backup to kompany and aguero and couldn't come up with nothing better than scrubs. Don't feel any sympathy for them and it's a ****ty argument your making. It's long known that it's a squad game and not about starting XI.

Pretty sure that none of those 3 have played more league games than aguero especially given they all missed the Xmas period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    A City side where Aguero, Kompany and Silva have missed about half the season each. Which is basically my point, those three (the first 2 especially) are so important to City (their record with vs without Kompany is ridiculous and Aguero is the best striker in the league) that if you take injuries away City would benefit far more than you. Cazorla and Sanchez have missed far less and without Coquelin your record is won 6 drawn 2 lost 1 so him being out isn't costing you many points.

The original comment was about starting 11s and theirs is comfortably better than yours tbh
    Cazorla has missed 7 league games, Sanchez 9, Coquelin 9.
    Aguero has missed 7 league games, Silva 9, Kompany 16.

You can't just go throwing around assumptions based on a players game time like you just did, because you are completely wrong.
    Kompany is obviously the exception, and yes I agree they would be far better for his presence in the team but I think the difference either way in favor of who has the better starting 11 is getting to be a pedantic argument, there is not much in it.
    You are basing your statement about their starting 11 being comfortably better than ours based on the amount of money they spend in comparison to us. 11's comparison (pedantic):

Cech>Hart, Monreal>City's LB's, Bellerin>Sagna, Mertersacker=Otamendi, Kompany=Koscielny, Coquelin>Fernandinho, Ramsey<Toure, Walcott<De Bruyne, Sanchez>Sterling, Ozil=Silva, Giroud<Aguero.

There really isnt much in it ffs

ReputationRep:
    It seems a normal trait for United fans to have a massive hard on for their rivals Man City. Overrating the squad is common practice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.