Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who's done a decent amount of gaming/programming,(more on the Gaming side I suspect) would I be able to do both relatively smoothly on a laptop? If so, suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    For anyone who's done a decent amount of gaming/programming,(more on the Gaming side I suspect) would I be able to do both relatively smoothly on a laptop? If so, suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on the laptop. CPU, GPU and RAM specs? A good i5 processor, 4-8 GB RAM (RAM is cheap nowadays!) and a modest GPU should be far more than okay, and is more or less my setup; XPS 15 Dell is a beast.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Buy a ps4

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Depends on the laptop. CPU, GPU and RAM specs? A good i5 processor, 4-8 GB RAM (RAM is cheap nowadays!) and a modest GPU should be far more than okay, and is more or less my setup; XPS 15 Dell is a beast.
    Should've specified that I was buying a new one, what's the difference between i5 and i7?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    programming yeah its just word but black background

gaming lol no just play pinball

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Buy a ps4

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't really like playing consoles anymore fam, FM>>>Fifa

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Number Nine)
    programming yeah its just word but black background

gaming lol no just play pinball
    Pinball isn't just a game, it's a way of life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should've specified that I was buying a new one, what's the difference between i5 and i7?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I got that after replying. Sorry. Uhm, not much of a major difference I found in my personal opinion. i5 is more than good enough given that you'd be bottle necked by your GPU for gaming related needs anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I got that after replying. Sorry. Uhm, not much of a major difference I found in my personal opinion. i5 is more than good enough given that you'd be bottle necked by your GPU for gaming related needs anyway.
    Fair enough, will look into stuff with the ~specs you mentioned earlier, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, will look into stuff with the ~specs you mentioned earlier, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check out the XPS though, it's price is not so bad, especially if you can get it nicely second hand and is a total beast, super thin as well. Thinner than Macbook even

ReputationRep:
    So no grade boundaries this midnight, I can go to sleep then? xD

ReputationRep:
    Check out the XPS though, it's price is not so bad, especially if you can get it nicely second hand and is a total beast, super thin as well. Thinner than Macbook even
    Passed the eye test, think there's a Unidays discount for dells as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Passed the eye test, think there's a Unidays discount for dells as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice, let me know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    Nice, let me know how you get on
    Will do, though I'm paying for it with student loan, so I won't be buying it for another month or so

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Few questions;
    1 When the results come out tomorrow night, is ucas updated at the same time and if not when is it updated?
    2 Is it worth ringing my college to make my case if (i) they have rejected me (ii)if ucas hasnt been updated and I missed my offer
    3 If I am rejected will I be told if I am in the summer pool or will i only find out if i have been accepted in summer pool? And how will it be communicated?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    not really it wasnt even funny apart from the first time when i got Zacken

ReputationRep:
    Ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When are the grade boundaries for step coming out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kappadetta)
    When are the grade boundaries for step coming out
    I doubt they'll be out before we get our results since they're not out yet

ReputationRep:
    I do not recommend buying retail laptops, they are overpriced and most importantly you cannot upgrade the components after 1-2 years when you need it. You can go for barebone machines and DIY the rest, usually the GPU/CPU is fixed for low end models, but I am sure you can change them for some high end machines.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.