Yh that's the one!
and ... yep LOVE the accent!
Patrick Wallace
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lizzzle)
Susan is still ditzy, but she's run a successful business by herself, and she's around 21 years old?
And although she asked some stupid questions in this weeks episode - she actually sold the second most, behind helen. €11k made an extra 3k or so by using clever business sense.
That's the type of thing LS is looking for.
She's a dark horse, and may come across dumb to the other contestants, but I think at interview stage she will stand up and rise to the occasion like she did in the boardroom last week.
She isn't ditzy at all, she has that disgusting personality trait where she acts stupid as a defence mechanism. It stops people being critical of what they should be criticising ie her business sense but instead they focus on unrelated stuff.

I have to disagree that she used clever business sense or did something special, what she did is what you're supposed to do. If I go to any retail outlet most will try tempt me to pay for more product by offering some sort of deal. Ever gone to McDonald's or Burger King and when paying asked if you want a drink with it or to super size the meal? Ever been to a stadium to watch a game ordered a pint and been asked if you would like a pie with it to take advantage of a deal? She did nothing special, just the job in hand.
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
The thing with Tom is, he is a likeable person, people like him and want him to do well. He has done things, he's made the most sense on that show - he points out the flaws in ideas and advantages of others, and at least one of the fired candidates have said on You're Fired, "If we'd listened to Tom, we would have won or at least done better."

However, even the people that like him and want him to do well admit that he clearly isn't a manly man, which I daresay you have to be to do well in business, and doesn't have the balls to really rule over people, or at least not the sort of people that go on this show. I daresay he's fine without extra-competitive people around him.
He's a nice enough bloke, but we all know the Sugsy's heart lies with the assertive and self-serving, like Melodie in last night's episode. The points he makes are often excellent, but, as you say, he lacks the confidence to get them across. The problem with this is that it seems he'd be better qualified for a managerial sort of role; somewhere where he can quietly plan, calculate and direct. He'd be excellent in that role. He doesn't suit the style of 'process' used in the Apprentice, and isn't assertive enough. It's a case of assertiveness rather than manliness, imo.

(Original post by Lizzzle)
My mind hasn't changed.
Tom,
Helen
Susan.

Susan is still ditzy, but she's run a successful business by herself, and she's around 21 years old?
And although she asked some stupid questions in this weeks episode - she actually sold the second most, behind helen. €11k made an extra 3k or so by using clever business sense.
That's the type of thing LS is looking for.
She's a dark horse, and may come across dumb to the other contestants, but I think at interview stage she will stand up and rise to the occasion like she did in the boardroom last week.
Tom won't win it. He's nowhere near confident or assertive enough for Sugsy, and he doesn't directly sell etc as much as others.

Helen is a good candidate tbh, I'd tip her to win it. She's been consistently very good. I'd place Melodie second, especially after last night's display (although it showed she was a bit of a ****, Lord Sugar loved that).

Susan isn't ditzy so much as lacking in common sense. She is also very immature and suffers from a bit of a victim complex if anyone questions or argues with her. She lacks the confidence for Sugsy to let her into the final, imo.
Lami XX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I want Helen to win !!
znh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Some random guy)
He's after dat ass.

Is it just me or does her smile look really forced and fake?

But I was impressed with her ruthlessness.

What is it with contestants picking on the North? I remember Katie Hopkins making quite a lot of anti-northern comments a couple of year ago.

Melody and Leon annoyed me with how they are going to Paris, not a car-boot sale in Manchester or up north... :mad:

Obviously Paris and 'up north' are very different places buy you could say the same for the south!
umar1234
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tom or Jim for the win. wooooooooo
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zjs)
He's a nice enough bloke, but we all know the Sugsy's heart lies with the assertive and self-serving, like Melodie in last night's episode. The points he makes are often excellent, but, as you say, he lacks the confidence to get them across. The problem with this is that it seems he'd be better qualified for a managerial sort of role; somewhere where he can quietly plan, calculate and direct. He'd be excellent in that role. He doesn't suit the style of 'process' used in the Apprentice, and isn't assertive enough. It's a case of assertiveness rather than manliness, imo.
I don't really know what he's doing there or why he's doing this. He's probably very good at what he does already, he's certainly successful at it - why not just stay there? I don't fully understand what anyone with an already successful business goes on The Apprentice to do, actually.

You're right, it is assertiveness ... and Tom just isn't assertive. It's a shame, he understands more than the rest of them what's going on. He just doesn't have a voice loud enough to make other people listen to him.

I think it's a big shame for him that he was made to be PM on this task, because it didn't really suit him at all. In a team with Melody who overpowered him, doing sales when he clearly isn't a salesman. He'd have been much better if he'd volunteered for something like the apps task or the pet food (or was Vincent forced...? Can't remember.) Something with an element of design and market than just 'sales, sales, sales'.

I don't really know who I think will win. Of the remaining candidates: Jim pisses Sugar off, I think he's wanted to fire Jim a few times; Melody's lies will come out at interview (I can only imagine the fun that will be had when it's discovered that Asian Businesswoman is actually an award many, many people get annually); Susan and Zoe are hanging by a thread, only saved by being in the boardroom with people that Sugar wanted rid of more; Tom won't be assertive enough to win the process. Leaves us with Natasha and Helen. Sugar is looking out for Natasha, but she either seems to win or, when they lose, she stayed off the radar. Helen is a dark horse, we don't know how she'll respond to losing, we've never seen her under pressure.
auzzieman04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why does everyone like tom?

throughout the whole series ive just seen him as a supposedly "genius" inventor out of his depth in the business world, im not sure he really knows what hes doing and hes either too nice or too weak to ever shine in the apprentice and get his ideas across. Just an opinion

though i do think hes a nice guy and will probably do well with his life- just dont think hes right for alan sugar- maybe thats a good thing
02nbrown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone but suzy to win to be honest.
02nbrown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think Tom is a really creative guy, he knows what to do when to do it, unfortunately, he doeesnt have the authority to pull his opinions through as shown in the last task.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by auzzieman04)

throughout the whole series ive just seen him as a supposedly "genius" inventor out of his depth in the business world, im not sure he really knows what hes doing and hes either too nice or too weak to ever shine in the apprentice and get his ideas across. Just an opinion

though i do think hes a nice guy and will probably do well with his life- just dont think hes right for alan sugar- maybe thats a good thing
Everyone likes him because he's not an arrogant ****. I agree; I don't think he's suited for Sugsy either.

I don't really know what he's doing there or why he's doing this. He's probably very good at what he does already, he's certainly successful at it - why not just stay there? I don't fully understand what anyone with an already successful business goes on The Apprentice to do, actually.
Well, according to the CV analysis stage in every other series at least, the candidates aren't as successful as they make out. Some do it because it's a media opportunity as well as a business one.

You're right, it is assertiveness ... and Tom just isn't assertive. It's a shame, he understands more than the rest of them what's going on. He just doesn't have a voice loud enough to make other people listen to him.
Susan can be the same: understanding but not assertive. Her problem is that people are unwilling to her, perhaps because she makes ridiculous comments other times (i.e. the ones about France in yesterday's episode), while Tom's problem is just that he seems to wither under the pressure of having to assert himself.

I think it's a big shame for him that he was made to be PM on this task, because it didn't really suit him at all. In a team with Melody who overpowered him, doing sales when he clearly isn't a salesman. He'd have been much better if he'd volunteered for something like the apps task or the pet food (or was Vincent forced...? Can't remember.) Something with an element of design and market than just 'sales, sales, sales'.
Vincent was forced on the pet food task, if memory serves. I don't know though; I'd say picking the product was a very important element of the task, and not simply a better of salesmanship. Tom was actually very well equipped for the task, he was just unlucky and under-confident. Case in point: he picked the better product, but wasn't assertive enough to go against his team, asked Melodie to research the big company and was let down, and wasn't confident enough to ask do to the pitch to them himself.

I don't really know who I think will win. Of the remaining candidates: Jim pisses Sugar off, I think he's wanted to fire Jim a few times; Melody's lies will come out at interview (I can only imagine the fun that will be had when it's discovered that Asian Businesswoman is actually an award many, many people get annually); Susan and Zoe are hanging by a thread, only saved by being in the boardroom with people that Sugar wanted rid of more; Tom won't be assertive enough to win the process. Leaves us with Natasha and Helen. Sugar is looking out for Natasha, but she either seems to win or, when they lose, she stayed off the radar. Helen is a dark horse, we don't know how she'll respond to losing, we've never seen her under pressure.
I think he likes and admires Jim as well though. He admires that he wraps people round his fingers and is an excellent seller. He likes that, too. Or, at least, respects it to some extent. The reason he gets annoyed is that Jim is someone who answers back and never admits being wrong, which plays havoc with Sugsy's ego. Also, he does see him as a salesman, which is likely to get him fired, eventually. I just can't believe Melodie's done the thing she's claimed. If she had, why the hell would she want to start a business with Lord Sugar? I think Susan's done a lot better in recent weeks though, and if she continues in this arc, she'll be praised rather than ripped to pieces.

I think Helen is someone fairly level-headed who'd state her case well. Her demeanour in the process thus far, even when people were arguing, has shown this. She kept strong personalities under reigns when she was project manager too, so I don't think she'll have trouble. Natasha's been lucky, more than anything. There's always been someone worse to take the limelight off her. I think she'd have gone if they lost the magazine task. Hip Replacement was clearly far better, it's just that the name was awful.
Residue of Spandex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natasha *throws up*
02nbrown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what?
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by auzzieman04)

Liking him doesn't mean we all think he's going to win. He clearly isn't, he didn't even have the courage to say, "No, we're going with the backpack/carseat."

But I like him, if I was actually hiring someone for a job and he would suit it I'd rather work with him than Melody because I wouldn't have a fight on my hands every day.
02nbrown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Liking him doesn't mean we all think he's going to win. He clearly isn't, he didn't even have the courage to say, "No, we're going with the backpack/carseat."

But I like him, if I was actually hiring someone for a job and he would suit it I'd rather work with him than Melody because I wouldn't have a fight on my hands every day.
i agree entirely
metric
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S_123)
Is it bad that I thought of this Zoe first?
Shows how much impact the other Zoe has had on me.

Oh my gosh, Melody was so annoying today! Tom was hilarious but totally let her dominate and the rock, paper, scissors thing was stupid! How embarrassing when he had to admit that in the boardroom. I don't see how being a ***** is a good trait either. If it had been a male who had been so domineering like Melody was, he would have got criticised for it. But it's all fine because she's a girl :rolleyes: Sexism!

Really liking Helen. Totally professional, likeable and actually good at the job. Finalist for sure. Hopefully LS won't fall for someone's tricks and fire her like he did with Stuart vs Liz last year.
haha oh god that zoe was awful

yeah she has kind of slipped into the background but she might be a dark horse!
02nbrown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
she was AWFUL i hated her
ihaveyourcat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is no way I could ever work with Melody without wanting to strangle her!
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zjs)
Well, according to the CV analysis stage in every other series at least, the candidates aren't as successful as they make out. Some do it because it's a media opportunity as well as a business one.
True, they usually reveal embellishment.

Not sure how good the media is for them, though. For example: Gavin sells glasses. I wear glasses. I am not now thinking, "Ooh, let's buy from him." I'm thinking, "The man couldn't even use a book to find out what a cloche is, no chance I'm trusting him to put the right lenses in my glasses."

Susan can be the same: understanding but not assertive. Her problem is that people are unwilling to her, perhaps because she makes ridiculous comments other times (i.e. the ones about France in yesterday's episode), while Tom's problem is just that he seems to wither under the pressure of having to assert himself.
Susan makes some brilliant points at times and what she has already done is more impressive than a lot of the other candidates. I agree she suffers from people just seeing as her young and immature ... but she doesn't do a lot to get rid of that attitude. The stupid questions are an example, as is "It's so unfair" when it's not really that unfair. I think her inability to be mature about mistakes will be her downfall.

Vincent was forced on the pet food task, if memory serves. I don't know though; I'd say picking the product was a very important element of the task, and not simply a better of salesmanship. Tom was actually very well equipped for the task, he was just unlucky and under-confident. Case in point: he picked the better product, but wasn't assertive enough to go against his team, asked Melodie to research the big company and was let down, and wasn't confident enough to ask do to the pitch to them himself.
IMO, he suffered a lot because he sent the strongest personality in the team over to France where he couldn't keep an eye on what she was doing. I think he would have been better to keep Melody with him and send Natasha and Leon off to France. Several reasons: like I said, he could have kept an eye on Melody (he was actually a good PM when they were all together, but alone Melody took the reins); it would have ensured the pitches would be in semi-English; and Melody wouldn't have been able to dazzle everyone with her 'fluent' French.

But I suppose that's the benefit of hindsight. Looking at it, I can say I would have kept Melody in my sub-team. If I'd been Tom, facing the prospect of sending two people off to France to line up pitches with French business owners, would I have sent the person saying, "I can speak French" off to do it? Yes, probably.

I think he likes and admires Jim as well though. He admires that he wraps people round his fingers and is an excellent seller. He likes that, too. Or, at least, respects it to some extent. The reason he gets annoyed is that Jim is someone who answers back and never admits being wrong, which plays havoc with Sugsy's ego. Also, he does see him as a salesman, which is likely to get him fired, eventually. I just can't believe Melodie's done the thing she's claimed. If she had, why the hell would she want to start a business with Lord Sugar? I think Susan's done a lot better in recent weeks though, and if she continues in this arc, she'll be praised rather than ripped to pieces.
Jim will go because Sugar does not like people who make plans for failure. Zoe stayed in because she admitted she messed up; I think it would have saved Leon if his failure hadn't been so stupid (when someone speaks English in front of you, you generally realise they're speaking English. :facepalm:) Jim makes sure everyone agrees so it can never be traced back to him, and Sugar doesn't like arse-covering.

I think Susan herself is improving, but I don't think she's persuade others of that so much. Melody will be found out eventually; she was saved this week because no one was in France to report back on what she was going.

I think Helen is someone fairly level-headed who'd state her case well. Her demeanour in the process thus far, even when people were arguing, has shown this. She kept strong personalities under reigns when she was project manager too, so I don't think she'll have trouble. Natasha's been lucky, more than anything. There's always been someone worse to take the limelight off her. I think she'd have gone if they lost the magazine task. Hip Replacement was clearly far better, it's just that the name was awful.
I like Helen, but wonder if she might perhaps suffer the same thing Liz Locke did last year: she's very good at following specific things, but not much of an innovator. Then again, I would have said Stella was the same and obviously she won. :dontknow: I agree on Natasha, she has been allowed to slip through due to the bigger errors of other people; as people dwindle down, she won't last much longer.

Thinking it over, my prediction:

Zoe and Natasha will be fired in the next two weeks if teams allow it, I think if Sugar has the opportunity to get rid of them he is going to. By the end of interviews, Jim, Melody and Tom will be added to that list, with Susan and Helen in the final. Don't know who will come out best from that, though.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ihaveyourcat)
There is no way I could ever work with Melody without wanting to strangle her!
Or gag her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.28%
No - but I will (74)
7.5%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (476)
48.23%

Watched Threads