This discussion is closed.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
:laugh: you're kidding right? Do you seriously expect me to believe that the players are running complex mathematical equations though their heads constantly? And how on earth could you call that art.

:toofunny: so you are trying to tell me that that all sporting people don't use mussel memory then? In my mind they are basically the same.

Well they will re-make it with new people, quite frankly top gear got boring for me years ago because each and every episode was basically the same.
which they did...

and the public pressure on him not to do that in immense.
Haha, they aren't gonna be able to re-make it. They're gonna have to ****ing start a new show with the same name. They can't really salvage what it's become...
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

well they will re make it

which they did...

Ermm lol, remaking a show based on personalities when the four main characters have gone that shares nothing but a name... That's going to work. /s

How is shutting down your main source of profit in a time when your budget is stretched to breaking, the best thing for a company?

There was no public pressure as the story wasn't made public until well after it happened. He could have referred it to the police then. But he didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
:laugh: you're kidding right? Do you seriously expect me to believe that the players are running complex mathematical equations though their heads constantly? And how on earth could you call that art.

:toofunny: so you are trying to tell me that that all sporting people don't use mussel memory then? In my mind they are basically the same.
No, they aren't, but they have to take into account a lot of causation. For example, moving the ball to the left cause player A to move to the right which causes every other player in the defence to move into a new position. Managers are looking at that and trying to get their players to move the opposing players into beneficial ways for the way you want your players to move. Whether managers are conscious of it or not, they're engaging in a battle of game theory. Football is applied political science.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Haha, they aren't gonna be able to re-make it. They're gonna have to ****ing start a new show with the same name. They can't really salvage what it's become...
they did back when Angela was hosting it. You give them too little credit.

(Original post by Cryptographic)
How is shutting down your main source of profit in a time when your budget is stretched to breaking, the best thing for a company?

There was no public pressure as the story wasn't made public until well after it happened. He could have referred it to the police then. But he didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it was ethically the right thing to do. Ethics trumps money.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
No, they aren't, but they have to take into account a lot of causation. For example, moving the ball to the left cause player A to move to the right which causes every other player in the defence to move into a new position. Managers are looking at that and trying to get their players to move the opposing players into beneficial ways for the way you want your players to move. Whether managers are conscious of it or not, they're engaging in a battle of game theory. Football is applied political science.
But that's exactly what you do in snooker, try and force your opponent to make an error, and in tennis and in every single sport... I fail to see your point.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
it was ethically the right thing to do. Ethics trumps money.
We weren't talking about ethics,
(although there is a good argument that ethically they shouldn't have fired him - as a result of it lots of people have been/will be laid off.) we're talking about what's best for the corporation. Killing your best source of income is certainly not best for a fiscally struggling corporation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

Well they will re-make it with new people, quite frankly top gear got boring for me years ago because each and every episode was basically the same.
which they did...

Football involves a lot of data science. Whilst the players themselves will obviously not be proving that P = NP and whatnot whilst playing, a lot of teams invest in scientific methods to try and get the best result in the game.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But that's exactly what you do in snooker, try and force your opponent to make an error, and in tennis and in every single sport... I fail to see your point.
the systems are more complex. and snooker is about putting balls in holes and stopping you opponent doing it if you decide this turn that it's too hard for you. Simplistic. In tennis you hit the ball, as far as you can, in a difficult place for the other player. Compared to football, the grand strategy in these games is babyish.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone watching the Snooker on the red button? Trump vs Fu
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why does blocking someone not include their quotes? :dry:
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
We weren't talking about ethics,
(although there is a good argument that ethically they shouldn't have fired him - as a result of it lots of people have been/will be laid off.) we're talking about what's best for the corporation. Killing your best source of income is certainly not best for a fiscally struggling corporation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But image the public outcry if nothing has happened, after Savile being covered up by the BBC and then refusing to do anything, that would be far worse IMO for the BBC.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Football involves a lot of data science. Whilst the players themselves will obviously not be proving that P = NP and whatnot whilst playing, a lot of teams invest in scientific methods to try and get the best result in the game.
the systems are more complex. and snooker is about putting balls in holes and stopping you opponent doing it if you decide this turn that it's too hard for you. Simplistic. In tennis you hit the ball, as far as you can, in a difficult place for the other player. Compared to football, the grand strategy in these games is babyish.
Ok, so if it does involve a lot of game theory then what's the point? When will your life ever depend on your ability to kick a ball into a net? We should focus on life saving sports in my opinion.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Ok, so if it does involve a lot of game theory then what's the point? When will your life ever depend on your ability to kick a ball into a net? We should focus on life saving sports in my opinion.
You cannot possibly defend that.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You cannot possibly defend that.
Defend what?
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Defend what?
That the only sports(?) that save lives should be enjoyed. That's ludicrous. It's the kind of reasoning people who follow inferior sports to football resort to.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tennis is pretty strategic. Knowing whether you want to go for winners or put topspin on the ball to force errors ect.. not to mention that tennis at the top level is stupidly physical these days where the rallies are long.

The days of serve and volley are long gone, these days it's concentration, stamina and strategy with 30 shot rallies.

Football players have it a bit hard but they don't have to run for 5 hours without breaks using the same hand to hit their shots.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That the only sports(?) that save lives should be enjoyed. That's ludicrous. It's the kind of reasoning people who follow inferior sports to football resort to.
Well would you rather that children were taught how to swim or play football?

also I take it they you like rugby, polo, lacrosse, handball, water polo ect. Then too? After all they all are basically the same... In fact water polo is better because it teacher people to swim and game theory at the same time.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Tennis is pretty strategic. Knowing whether you want to go for winners or put topspin on the ball to force errors ect.. not to mention that tennis at the top level is stupidly physical these days where the rallies are long.

The days of serve and volley are long gone, these days it's concentration, stamina and strategy with 30 shot rallies.

Football players have it a bit hard but they don't have to run for 5 hours without breaks using the same hand to hit their shots.
Tennis isn't that strategic; it's highly, highly tactical. And tennis players have to be very fit, yes. I'd imagine it a different style of fitness involved though.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Just a quick question, do you actually know what game theory is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Just a quick question, do you actually know what game theory is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes... I understand some of the basic concepts of it. Maths is maths.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads