Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone help on queens sociology pgce interview?!

Have to give a short presentation on a topic of my choice?!??!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyyou)
    Hi guys,

Does anybody have advice for the numeracy skills test? I have mine booked for mid February but I took a practise test today (having done no revision) and got only 28% I've not done any maths since my GCSEs 6 years ago, and even then I only managed to get a C! I've definitely got a long way to go, but I won't be taking my first attempt until I'm passing the practise tests! Ugh
    Hiya, I am in the exact same boat as you- couldn't get anywhere near the pass mark. Try not to panic, I panicked so much I nearly didn't apply this cycle! Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM6zkJ-_RRU (someone posted it earlier). I found it incredibly helpful for the mental maths section, which imo is the hardest part (18 seconds to answer is evil!). The second half is just a matter of revising certain parts of the curriculum i.e. graphs, proportions, fractions. Try to memorise your times tables as that will save you time (I'm still trying, literally never learnt my 12x tables!).

http://www.passtheqtsskillstests.co.uk/page8.htm (this site is really good, it has printable questions that are like the mental maths section that are great for practicing, I would recommend trying to do them without a timer, and then when you get the hang of them, try to do it within the 18 seconds)! Also, BBC Bitesize is great!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've finally submitted my application form woohoo! After agonising over my academic reference its finally come through today so I've shipped it off to UCAS - hopefully it doesn't take too long to process!

As for skills tests I was sooo shocked I passed the mental maths part (I tried to push in for an application last year it didn't work). Just keep on revising and it will get there, once your more confident you can only give them a go! If you do unfortunately fail then I would be more judicious about booking your next test and make sure you've learnt the tips and tricks for passing the tests!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashleyclaire)
    Has anyone heard about Cambridge colleges? I'm getting impatient 🙃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not heard anything yet what colleges and subject have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I would like to get some advise from you regarding QTS numeracy skill test as I am loosing my confidence because I have only one chance left. I need to focus on Written Arithmetic and Written Data as it is written in feedback sheet.
    Please help me and advise me as I am desperate to get any help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Does anybody have advice for the numeracy skills test? I have mine booked for mid February but I took a practise test today (having done no revision) and got only 28% I've not done any maths since my GCSEs 6 years ago, and even then I only managed to get a C! I've definitely got a long way to go, but I won't be taking my first attempt until I'm passing the practise tests! Ugh
    I mentioned in an earlier post, find what your weaknesses are and build up your knowledge in those areas.

So do the online practice tests and if memory serves there should be a page which shows where you had problems in.

I passed mine 2 years ago and I hadn't done maths proper for 15-16 years.

I used the very same technique, also when you hit an area you have problems understanding then google the problem. remember why you are going into teaching and remember to make time for revision every evening.

Also so I don't write up too much, the day before the test don't go to sleep straight after your revision or thinking about the test, read a book, watch a film or have a good soak.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinydancer73)
    Not heard anything yet what colleges and subject have you applied for?
    I have a place for Seconday English, with Homerton as first choice and Hughes as second. You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Only take the test when you are getting 70% if you are not before the test then change it to a later date. You can do this as long as it is three working days before. There are lots of good books you can get for numeracy too. Youtune vidos as well are great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    I would have thought people with the A Level would be okay without going to a summer school but I guess they want to make sure we brush up.

I'm going to the ARLT one because it was cheaper and this whole application has already cost me a huge amount! It's aimed at teachers though so it should be good.

Honestly it's been too long since I've done any grammar! I will appreciate a recap! Oh that sounds good I thought it'd be nice to hopefully meet some other Classics PGCE people on it- we are quite few and far between!

ReputationRep:
    Why is nobody else doing science PGCE at Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Why is nobody else doing science PGCE at Cambridge
    My friend from uni is.. Doing chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I honestly booked my test too early, didn't know about the practice tests online and when I did them before my test I was like crap I'm so going to fail. But I couldn't cancel because it was within three days and I would have lost my one free test so I went for it anyway did both literacy and numeracy straight after each other. Literacy fine but I went in thinking I was going to fail miserably as numeracy however even though I didn't pass it, I only failed by 1 mark!!! I was even more gutted than I think I would have been if I had come out failing by loads.

I do think the practice tests are harder I was only getting like 20%

ReputationRep:
    can anyone help??

I received an email from one of my choices saying they were rushing to fill as many places asap due to the national quota reaching 75% but I dont have my other interviews till early feb...when I phoned them to ask if it was likely the quota will have reached its limit by then, they both sounded v chill. Does anyone know if this is an actual worry? Or if weve been offered interviews in feb, they come with a potential offer too?

Hope this makes sense!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had a chemistry pace interview at oxford? just looking for information on what questions are asked and what best to prepare.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canadiangirl84)
    Has anyone had a chemistry pace interview at oxford? just looking for information on what questions are asked and what best to prepare.

thanks
    Just the normal questions really, just like the questions on the premier plus sheet.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, did anyone have their primary PGCE interview at Roehampton today? Just wanted to know how it went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatroclusFTW)
    Honestly it's been too long since I've done any grammar! I will appreciate a recap! Oh that sounds good I thought it'd be nice to hopefully meet some other Classics PGCE people on it- we are quite few and far between!
    Yeah I really need to go through it all myself. And get my vocab back up to scratch!

I'm hoping that the summer school I'm going to will help me do the same.

I wish we knew where our placements are though - I don't like leaving accommodation to the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    my undergrad degree is from durham. i have pgce offers from UCL and cambridge, and i'm unsure which one would be more suitable, employment-wise. would it be more advisable to get a contrast by going to london instead of cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie.uni)
    my undergrad degree is from durham. i have pgce offers from UCL and cambridge, and i'm unsure which one would be more suitable, employment-wise. would it be more advisable to get a contrast by going to london instead of cambridge?
    Fellow Durham undergrad with an offer from Cambridge :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    Yeah I really need to go through it all myself. And get my vocab back up to scratch!

I'm hoping that the summer school I'm going to will help me do the same.

I wish we knew where our placements are though - I don't like leaving accommodation to the last minute.
    Me too I think they said like June right? I found the list of 2015 Classics partner schools- there is a serious geographical spread :/

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.