UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    do as many questions as possible

ReputationRep:
    okay well mine is now in 3 hours...
    *****ing myself

ReputationRep:
    Here are some notes I made when I did it last year. There really is no better way to prepare than to constantly do as many as you can and as much as you can. It seems hard at the start but after a TON of practice you will get into it.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx UKCAT revision help.docx (158.6 KB, 115 views)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the best book to buy for the UKCAT? I'm sitting mine on the 4 of October and already have medify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Getting abit worried now. Did anyone else notice a decrease in their performance prior to the UKCAT. Mine is four days away and i have taken a test a day over the last few days- each with a drop from the last

Medify 1 - 695 (average)
    Medify 2 - 655
    Medify 3 - 650
    Kaplan 1 - 593.3

If anoyone else suffered a slump like this please let me know and if you have any tips to counterract
    With the medify mocks don't worry it's not just you, think they get harder! I got 740 in mock 1, 690 in mock 2 and 680 or something on mock 3... I was worried too 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragon_)
    Getting abit worried now. Did anyone else notice a decrease in their performance prior to the UKCAT. Mine is four days away and i have taken a test a day over the last few days- each with a drop from the last

Medify 1 - 695 (average)
    Medify 2 - 655
    Medify 3 - 650
    Kaplan 1 - 593.3

If anoyone else suffered a slump like this please let me know and if you have any tips to counterract
    I tended to slump when doing multiple mocks in a day. It's usually just tiredness and stress. Take a break for a day and then continue the next day and I'm sure you'll start heading up again.

Fully expecting 600-640ish today Was hoping for much more but my QR is crap and AR seems to be quite subjective this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    i hated doing kaplan mocks because you can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts and so i did better in the medify ones getting high 600s compared to low ones in kaplan cus the layout frustrated me
    What keyboard shortcuts are there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    I tended to slump when doing multiple mocks in a day. It's usually just tiredness and stress. Take a break for a day and then continue the next day and I'm sure you'll start heading up again.

Fully expecting 600-640ish today Was hoping for much more but my QR is crap and AR seems to be quite subjective this year.
    When is your exam? Mine is at 11.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    When is your exam? Mine is at 11.
    11:30!

ReputationRep:
    Same

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got tips on QR as I'm struggling with time on this section. I'm not sure if this is normal for medify/1000 qs book or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    What keyboard shortcuts are there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alt+n for next, alt+p for previous, alt+c to bring up the calculator and alt+F to flag Also use num lock and manually type in the numbers instead of using the mouse. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I've got '600 ukcat practice questions' and 'score higher on the ukcat' (the two main resources people tend to use in addition to medify). If anyone wants to buy them second hand PM me. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    For people who have taken the test:

Is Medify any good for AR?

How did you find VR? Was it long texts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh1995)
    Hi there, I'm currently studying a pharmacy degree, about to enter my third year of study and I'm considering applying for post grad/undergrad medicine.
    I was just wondering if anyone has made the switch from pharmacy to medicine? Did you do your pre reg year or did you go straight into medicine? Have you worked as a pharmacist to help pay your way through uni? Would it be advisable to pick up volunteering in a care home etc in the summer next year/at weekends at uni while studying? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers
    Hi

I am in my third year of medicine and I too studied pharmacy. I completed my degree, passed my pre reg and locumed for about 2 years. This helped me financially and also gave me experience working with GPs and others. I would advise you to at least finish prereg and become registered. Then you can locum in the holidays when you are studying medicine.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if anybody would be able to give me some advice? I am trying to find out the rough dates for the 2017 UKCAT testing period for stating uni in 2018.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ib_hopeful)
    For people who have taken the test:

Is Medify any good for AR?

How did you find VR? Was it long texts?
    Medify is good for the abstract reasoning, although I thought that the questions were a little harder in the actual thing. Verbal reasoning was a range of texts, with the VAST majority being reading comprehension and say 30 / 40% being of a chunky length.

ReputationRep:
    So QR is my worst section even though i like maths and Im quite good at it at school...
    After doing 36 QR questions on medify, i managed to finish them all in 30 minutes... which is 6 minutes more than im given in the actual exam.
    Currently, that means i am averaging about 50 seconds per question... If i did that in the real exam, i would only be able to complete ~29 questions in the time given which leaves me to guess 7 questions. I normally get 80% of the questions right so that would be 23/36 questions right. That gives me a score of 638...
    So my question is...
    Should i leave it at the pace Im working right now and work on getting more questions right?
    OR
    Should i try to speed up and try to finish more questions? Even if that leads to a decrease in the number of questions i get right? Also, how would i speed up in the first place?

I have also heard that QR in the actual exam is easier than Medify... Does that mean that i will be able to get more questions right in less time?
    XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    Alt+n for next, alt+p for previous, alt+c to bring up the calculator and alt+F to flag Also use num lock and manually type in the numbers instead of using the mouse. Good luck
    Is it backspace for On/C on the calculator?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Was just wondering for those of you whom have already done the UKCAT,

What section did you find the hardest, and could you possibly rank them in order of difficulty?
    (i.e. 1 being the toughest, etc etc)

What would you suggest i do in practice to overcome these difficulties?

Thank You!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.