Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Has anyone been on amitriptyline? My doctor wants to put me on it for pain management, but I'm on citalopram already so I can only take a tiny amount. I was considering asking if I can come off the citalopram and just move over to a normal dose of amitriptyline so there won't be as much trouble with them reacting, and if they take me off the citalopram in the future I don't want to have to mess with it all then because I get really confused when it comes to taking tablets anyway. I'd rather just be on the one if possible, but I'm quite sensitive to medication and end up with loads of side-effects as well
    I have, yes. I couldn't stay awake on it. You have to take it at night. Whilst having a decent night's sleep is wonderful, almos falling asleep in front a friend, not so much so. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I have, yes. I couldn't stay awake on it. You have to take it at night. Whilst having a decent night's sleep is wonderful, almos falling asleep in front a friend, not so much so. :lol:
    Haha damnit! I was really hoping I'd just get a decent nights sleep and the drowsy part would be about over. Typical! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Haha damnit! I was really hoping I'd just get a decent nights sleep and the drowsy part would be about over. Typical! :lol:
    It was a right pain. It says to take before bed, so I did that. Woke up a bit groggy as expected and wanted to fall asleep at 8pm!

Came off it in the end. Didn't get much out of it in terms of pain relief and the tiredness was just annoying.

ReputationRep:
    It was a right pain. It says to take before bed, so I did that. Woke up a bit groggy as expected and wanted to fall asleep at 8pm!

Came off it in the end. Didn't get much out of it in terms of pain relief and the tiredness was just annoying.
    I'll have to give it a go, but I won't be having high expectations then! I'm not sure how long I'd be able to put up with even more tiredness in the day before going back and telling them to try dealing with it :lol: At least once I've tried it, I can say I have and we can move on to the next thing

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to give it a go, but I won't be having high expectations then! I'm not sure how long I'd be able to put up with even more tiredness in the day before going back and telling them to try dealing with it :lol: At least once I've tried it, I can say I have and we can move on to the next thing
    Good luck! I waited a few months. I was hoping it would get better; but no it didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you just have to discuss more than one thing in a 10 minute slot, and they usually understand that. I've had to do it a number of times. I say get yourself an appointment for when you can, and see if you can get some help. If you leave it until you really feel that you need help, then you'll still have to wait until you can get an appointment and that can be really difficult
    Problem I have is that it's difficult for me to book anything at the moment as they keep changing my shifts at work and it's getting to the point where they're ringing me everyday changing my shifts. :faceplam: I think I saw one for Wednesday with my doctor which is one of my days off next week so I think I'm going to go ahead and book it - I can always go back online and change it.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I take 50mg amitriptyline daily for New Daily Persistent Headaches and it has helped me a lot.

My drug book says to look out for hyponatremia if you take both and that the combo can lead to higher TCA levels and hence higher chance of side effects. The dose for depression is higher than the dose for pain. I'd have a word with your pain doc as well as your psychiatrist and see what they think - sometimes they don't like stepping on each other's toes and they're best qualified to advise you.

And btw, I also get really confused with taking tablets, so I got a weekly pill box - that way I only have to fill it once a week and don't miss anything. Makes me feel like a right old fogey but yeah very helpful indeed
    Haven't heard that saying for awhile! Reminds me of a film I watched coming back from America. :giggle: "you're just a old fogey!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    Problem I have is that it's difficult for me to book anything at the moment as they keep changing my shifts at work and it's getting to the point where they're ringing me everyday changing my shifts. :faceplam: I think I saw one for Wednesday with my doctor which is one of my days off next week so I think I'm going to go ahead and book it - I can always go back online and change it.

Haven't heard that saying for awhile! Reminds me of a film I watched coming back from America. :giggle: "you're just a old fogey!"
    Work cant stop you taking time off for a drs appointment, pretty sure they have to honour thdm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    Work cant stop you taking time off for a drs appointment, pretty sure they have to honour thdm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know that. It's just a pain in the arse finding cover. They dislike having to find cover at the moment since lots of people are off sick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    I know that. It's just a pain in the arse finding cover. They dislike having to find cover at the moment since lots of people are off sick
    Thats their problem not yours. If you need to go to the drs and the only time you can be seen is when your working then they have to honour your appointment

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've come to the realisation that I need to go to mental health services again once I'm at uni. I had counselling before and for a while I felt better but I just got really upset and had some horrible thoughts about how I was such a bad person. At the moment I just feel like such a failure at everything and I've honestly not felt so awful in a while

Anon 6

For several months I've been having flashbacks of a harassment campaign some locals had against me as a teenager which went on for years (it was over something I did in primary school, which didn't harm anyone and no one else gave a crap about). These memories come up randomly and I often get panic attacks as a result. I've tried to talk to others about it but they dismiss it as me being silly and to forget about it as I've ended up "better off" than them and no longer live in my hometown anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys :hugs:

Was just wondering if any of you suffer from magical thinking from OCD? I've been struggling with this more than any other problem lately and it's getting harder and harder to deal with

Hope everyone's well and having a good weekend :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Landed safely back in the UK yesterday after a nice break in the USA with my sister. Got ill one day but (for once) both my sisters were nice and helpful about it. So I bounced back quite quickly, by my standards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For several months I've been having flashbacks of a harassment campaign some locals had against me as a teenager which went on for years (it was over something I did in primary school, which didn't harm anyone and no one else gave a crap about). These memories come up randomly and I often get panic attacks as a result. I've tried to talk to others about it but they dismiss it as me being silly and to forget about it as I've ended up "better off" than them and no longer live in my hometown anyway.
    Have you had any counselling or similar to help you with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Hey guys :hugs:

Was just wondering if any of you suffer from magical thinking from OCD? I've been struggling with this more than any other problem lately and it's getting harder and harder to deal with

Hope everyone's well and having a good weekend :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiyya

When I was little I suffered from it a lot, 3 was a bad number and stepping 3 times on the same tile was bad luck (I blame my cousin a little for joking about it once), the only way to erase that bad luck was to spit on the tile before you went back home. It became a compulsion.

I had a few things like this, although I can't seem to remember atm. It is really tough I'm sorry that it's affecting you right now.

ReputationRep:
    Having a very bad day with anxiety today and feeling rather depressed about it all, just got back home after trying to distracting myself by going to the book store, it did help a little. I hope reading makes me feel a little better and I can escape my awful thought pattern that I have atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Hiyya

When I was little I suffered from it a lot, 3 was a bad number and stepping 3 times on the same tile was bad luck (I blame my cousin a little for joking about it once), the only way to erase that bad luck was to spit on the tile before you went back home. It became a compulsion.

I had a few things like this, although I can't seem to remember atm. It is really tough I'm sorry that it's affecting you right now.
    Howdy :hugs:

Sorry to hear you have suffered from it in the past too I go through phrases were my drug/toxin/germ contamiation fears are the strongest OCD symptom and then after that its maybe just pure obsessions and then its magical thinking and so on and right now its the magical thinking phrase though everything else is still there just in smaller amounts. For me, its mainly thinking that if I think something bad it'll happen. Like last night, I thought "there's going to be trouble in my block of flats tonight" and I became so angry at myself for thinking that in case I jinxed myself and trouble did happen in my block even though it was illogical but lo and behold, it did. I thought about it over the night and about 5 mins after I thought, trouble started again. I know it was just a coincidence but try telling my OCD and nerves that I also get it if I think "what if the house burns down?" so I have to repeatedly check everything is switched off, check my door etc and it goes over and over and over and then I feel like I deserve something bad to happen just because I thought it even though those thoughts pop up out of nowhere, I don't make myself think them

I was meant to be referred to the CPN so they could assess me for intense therapy and was told by the psychiatrist I'd have an appointment through by a week or two and its been two months now and I've not heard the scrape of a pen. I got some appointment through about a week after my psychiatrist appointment and then they called me and cancelled it and never got back to me with a new one and I've called up their office and they always say they will send me out a letter but nope, nothing :/ its beyond a joke

(Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I've not heard the scrape of a pen.
    Completely unrelated, but I love this phrase you've used!

ReputationRep:
    I have an essay to write, and I really just can't. I can't concentrate on anything, and I can't read very well. I'm struggling to understand even simple sentences without having to spend a good few minutes on them. I haven't taken my tablets since Wednesday because I ran out, and I'm waiting to be able to go and pick up my prescription. I have some back up ones at college, so thankfully I'll be able to take it tomorrow morning. I've been having withdrawal symptoms since yesterday, but since it's the weekend it's not even like I can go to my doctor and ask for some to tide me over. I feel so shakey and all over the place, and I feel like my brain and body just aren't working at the same time. Roll on tomorrow!

Edit: I've started worrying about my grades from a couple of years ago, because they were bad. I don't know what it's possible for me to get for my course overall and all the information online means nothing to me. I just can't make sense of it. I don't have a clue whether I'll be able to go uni, but I really want to. I feel like I'm right on the edge of a panic attack, and I'm really irritable. My mum is wandering around the house singing, and she's just got onto the phone with my brother's hospital and is talking about his thoughts which I don't like hearing about. I'm trying to distract myself but it's difficult

Have you had any counselling or similar to help you with this?
    IVe had cbt but not for this. I'd forgotten about it for ages til fairly recently.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.