Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone help me, what should the presentation include?
    Also what should you include in the Evaluation of the whole project?
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.12)
    nah i'm sure you'll do better than me, if that helps :P
    :closedeyes: I'm terrible presenting in front of people, I hate essays and my project is on dreaming. trust me, you'll do better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    My teacher also keeps telling me that it needs to be a controversial topic, and I'm not sure that this is?
    Can anyone give me ideas of an actual question around this topic?
    I don't think it needs to be controversial just as long as you have enough to say, I know people who are doing theirs on a non controversial topic- e/g coastline protection in Holland. Not sure if this helps the April 2012 copy of Psychology Review had a big article on the biological treatment of schizophrenia which might give you information and more sources!

ReputationRep:
    That's great! Thanks everyone, I really want to do a question on ancient philosophy but can't seem to get a question relevant or worded right? Any help? Greatly appreciated if you message me the advice!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering if the EPQ has to be related to the course you are enrolling for university.

I am considering medicine/engineering/maths, i was wondering if I could do an EPQ on a different subject (humanities)

is this a bad idea? will universities think i dont show interest in the course i want to do if i do an epq on a different topic.

ReputationRep:
    i notice a lot of people are going down the philosophical route for their EPQ topic question, just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for perhaps an ethics/philosophy based LAW question i could do for my EPQ?
    i know i want it to be in this sort of area but cant think of a proper question to get me started! haha any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!! >:

ReputationRep:
    i notice a lot of people are going down the philosophical route for their EPQ topic question, just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for perhaps an ethics/philosophy based LAW question i could do for my EPQ?
    i know i want it to be in this sort of area but cant think of a proper question to get me started! haha any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

ReputationRep:
    true the EPQ is often used by students to show of to admissions tutors about how interested they r in their chosen degree course but then again alot of people choose to do an EPQ as an extension of one of their a-levels (so if u are doing humanities a-levels and not all science then of course it will be relevant to you, so go for it)

but if your still unsure then remember that it can be on any topic you want, it doesnt actually matter as long as its done well, and we can all use the extra 70 ucas points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    I've been reading "The poison paradox" by John Timbrell.
    A great pharmacology book with some excellent case study information (from thalidomide to paracetamol and alcohol and then to more conventional killer substances like Arsenic and Cyanide) explanations on how poisons work. A bit more on the toxicology side, but still great at detailing how certain substances react with the body and become poisonous (I found the parts on anti-freeze particularly interesting) and provides some nice insight into chemical-body reactions of pharmacology.
    I have just bought this, i want to do toxicology for my EPQ, do you have any other toxicology/pharmacology books that are worth reading?

ReputationRep:
    I have had a last minute change of idea- previously I was going to do an EPQ on how the NHS allocates care, but now I want to do an EPQ titled: "What is the value of a human life?" which would look into various ways of putting a price on someone (how much they would fetch on the black market if we stripped them down to their organs + blood/the cost to raise a human from conception to death/attempting to place a monetary value on emotions etc. etc.).

Changing ideas isn't an issue, and finding 5000 words to say on the topic will be easy. I'm just worried about whether the school will approve my choice of question? My school generally dislikes controversial things, but I can't think of any reason for them to reject the idea (the values would be purely hypothetical afterall, and I don't go to a religious school either).

Opinions/thoughts/advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LanasTea)
    I have had a last minute change of idea- previously I was going to do an EPQ on how the NHS allocates care, but now I want to do an EPQ titled: "What is the value of a human life?" which would look into various ways of putting a price on someone (how much they would fetch on the black market if we stripped them down to their organs + blood/the cost to raise a human from conception to death/attempting to place a monetary value on emotions etc. etc.).

Changing ideas isn't an issue, and finding 5000 words to say on the topic will be easy. I'm just worried about whether the school will approve my choice of question? My school generally dislikes controversial things, but I can't think of any reason for them to reject the idea (the values would be purely hypothetical afterall, and I don't go to a religious school either).

Opinions/thoughts/advice?
    The first thing that came to my mind on reading that title was the concept of medical ethics ( probably because I am a medic soon ), but you're referring to something like human trafficking, which I didn't expect. Whilst I think it would be fine to investigate that topic, and certainly interesting, I think you need to make your title less broad, so that your audience isn't similarly surprised. Basically add something like '... In human trafficking' or '... In criminal systems' or even '... On the black market', to make it clear.

Otherwise, as I say, sounds awesome! Don't worry about changing, either. A friend of mine changed hers half way through the course and still got an A.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I need to write a literature review and I've read up on how to write one so that's not my problem. My problem is finding sources to write on. Can I just use anything from common internet articles to academic journals, or do I need to be more towards the academic side?

By the way, my EPQ is on the economics of monopoly markets, if that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolsterManzzi)
    I am wondering if the EPQ has to be related to the course you are enrolling for university.

I am considering medicine/engineering/maths, i was wondering if I could do an EPQ on a different subject (humanities)

is this a bad idea? will universities think i dont show interest in the course i want to do if i do an epq on a different topic.
    the thing is its better if you do on a topic related to the course u gonna do in uni. and how come u have nt decided yet? decide which field u wanna g and then choose the topic. and u might ask why do u need to do this. its coz u can talk about the topic that u r sure, u can give a damn good answer for during interview. Also it shows how interested you r in the field that u have chosen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    the thing is its better if you do on a topic related to the course u gonna do in uni. and how come u have nt decided yet? decide which field u wanna g and then choose the topic. and u might ask why do u need to do this. its coz u can talk about the topic that u r sure, u can give a damn good answer for during interview. Also it shows how interested you r in the field that u have chosen.
    yeah, i hav recently changed my a level options, gonna aim for engineering but would an epq in geography be alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    hey guys, I need to write a literature review and I've read up on how to write one so that's not my problem. My problem is finding sources to write on. Can I just use anything from common internet articles to academic journals, or do I need to be more towards the academic side?

By the way, my EPQ is on the economics of monopoly markets, if that helps
    When I did my literature review I was told that it was a document that was meant to explain all of the background to my question, exploring all of the key terms behind my question and all of the background issues. Therefore I didn't really write about sources, are you sure this is how it's meant to be constructed?? I used sources but only to compliment my own ideas rather than just evaluate all of the sources I was going to use. But a range of sources is good, that way you can comment on them later.

ReputationRep:
    hi i just wanted to hear peoples opinions on my EPQ idea:
    I was planning on doing the performance option in in which i will choreograph a dance demonstrating how dance has evolved over the years
    Any view ????? thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone! i've decided to do my epq based on brain and languages.
    i finding it difficult to think of a title.
    can anyone give me some ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering, can anyone give me a few tips with the Literature/research review?

A guide would be very helpful
    I have no idea how to approach this- i'm doing an EPQ on the economics of vegetarianism

Also- my sources so far haven't been like books, i've used 2 books but not to great depths as this topic is quite speaclised,

Any examples of epq's on economics and i could kiss you i'm trying to do mine over the summer so i am getting minimal help from teachers!

THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    EPQ in a week.

Feasible?

ReputationRep:
    What did you end up doing? (out of interest)
    I'm in the same situation now.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.