Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano46)
    Dude I just panicked
    I was in the wrong state of mind ok
    I'm not like you that spends 10 hours a day (probably more) obsessed on this
    Btw what is the relevance of the acknowledgement if it makes no difference whatsoever?
    Anyway what course did you apply for El Mariachi?
    Fair play, happens to everyone I suppose.

Well, the relevance of the acknowledgement is pretty much the definition of the word acknowledgement - I think it might be the first year LSE started doing it, they didn't do it last year.

I applied for Maths and Econ.

(Original post by Economist1)
    That TSR isn't particularly representative of the student population is precisely the reason why a lack of offers for a given subject to TSR members is a strong reason to believe that no offers were handed out for that subject.
    You're probably right, but I don't quite understand... :p:

Say TSR LSE applicants are 5% of total LSE applicants, and 1% of TSR got Econ offers. This evidence bears no real significance to Econ offers in relation to the total applicants surely?

ReputationRep:
    That TSR isn't particularly representative of the student population is precisely the reason why a lack of offers for a given subject to TSR members is a strong reason to believe that no offers were handed out for that subject.
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow. Could you break this down for me El Mariachi style? :confused: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey amar can you add me to the list please
    Course:Accounting + Finance
    Date of UCAS sent: 2/12

I actually just want it up for luck
    cuz i stumbled across my best friend's childhood nickname "cacanene" and discovered that he got an offer haha
    so I thought I'd make my own account n hope for the best even though it will have no effect whatsoever. possibly a tad superstitious/psycholigical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    I'm afraid I don't quite follow. Could you break this down for me El Mariachi style? :confused: :p:
    I'm honoured :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Mariachi)

Say TSR LSE applicants are 5% of total LSE applicants, and 1% of TSR got Econ offers. This evidence bears no real significance to Econ offers in relation to the total applicants surely?
    To clarify what I said earlier...it seems like there are a disproportionate number of excellent applicants here on TSR. Even if TSR LSE applicants are 5% of the total, the distribution of their academic abilities is skewed so that the average TSR applicant is better than the average non-TSR appicant. So if LSE did give out offers, I would be surprised if nobody from TSR got an offer (especially for a subject like Economics).

ReputationRep:
    I think it means that people on TSR tend to have stronger applications than the average uni-applicant, so the fact that no one here has heard anything probably means that no one in the real world would have heard either.

ReputationRep:

You don't understand? Tut,tut. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    To clarify what I said earlier...it seems like there are a disproportionate number of excellent applicants here on TSR. Even if TSR LSE applicants are 5% of the total, the distribution of their academic abilities is skewed so that the average TSR applicant is better than the average non-TSR appicant. So if LSE did give out offers, I would be surprised if nobody from TSR got an offer (especially for a subject like Economics).
    Ahhh ok I follow, right you are!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I'm still being confusing. Here goes, El Mariachi style...
    With regards to thh quality of applications, TSR average > non-TSR average
    So presuming that LSE give out offers to only the best candidates...
    If LSE do give out offers, they are likely to give them to TSR applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh ok I follow, right you are!
    It's when I start talking about skewed distributions that you understand. :rolleyes:

You are a real mathematician. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why, thank you all for the explanations.

By jove, I think I've got it!

ReputationRep:
    It's when I start talking about skewed distributions that you understand. :rolleyes:

You are a real mathematician. :p:
    I wish, I'm just a wannabe really :p: !

ReputationRep:
    how many rounds of offers and rejections have there been so far?

ReputationRep:
    Why, thank you all for the explanations.

By jove, I think I've got it!
    :congrats: By jove, indeed. You deserve a pat on the back. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    how many rounds of offers and rejections have there been so far?
    There were a few random rejections near the beginning of November I think, and then it started getting structured.

Two Fridays ago there were a few offers given out to pretty outstanding applicants as far as we know.
    Last Friday was rejection day.
    Today was supposed to be an offer day, and according to data from the last few years, was supposed to be the last decision day of the year.

Plus, a bunch of people have been given "gathered pile" emails saying that they'll only get a decision after the January deadline, which is why we thought that today would be a huge day for offers.

But we don't know anything for sure.

ReputationRep:
    So, are most people firming LSE if they get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    So, are most people firming LSE if they get an offer?
    yes!
    lse is by far the best uni in terms of IR

ReputationRep:
    OFFERR!!!!!!!!!!!
    Geography with Economics
    AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danyal1990)
    yes!
    lse is by far the best uni in terms of IR
    Safe, I'm not sure really, initially LSE was my first choice, but after quite a bit of research I'm completely split between LSE and UCL, I like UCL more in every respect apart from possibly the course...but you just can't turn LSE down can you!?!

I half-hope I get rejected :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O.o mY SaRcAsM)
    OFFERR!!!!!!!!!!!
    Geography with Economics
    AAB
    omg well done!!

and there goes our "departmental offers" theory.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.