Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Hmm interesting. I know the interview process is the week beginning the 10th March which is a week on Monday so if I don't hear by Tuesday of this week coming I'll assume I haven't got an interview but can't entirely rule it out going by what you've just said!
    It is not uncommon for interviews to be offered at extremely short notice as time goes on. I found out about some of my interviews less than 48 hours before! This probably won't be the case yet though - more in May when schools are rushing.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a job on Tuesday night, closing was Wednesday at 3pm. They called me on Wednesday at 5.30pm offering me an interview for this coming Monday! So quite short notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good evening guys,

I shall be starting pgce (primary) this September. I've read a few testimonies online and one or two concern me, more particularly pertaining towards time off uni/placements. One or two have said they get no downtime. Now I do fully appreciate I will be working loads at weekends and evenings, but I think people would burn out if they didn't get a decent amount of time away (half terms?).

Can anyone give me ideas on what the year timetable is like, how many assignments you have (word counts where possible) and when you can start applying for employment as an NQT. Assistance from any BGrot students will be particularly useful :-)

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali B)
    Good evening guys,

I shall be starting pgce (primary) this September. I've read a few testimonies online and one or two concern me, more particularly pertaining towards time off uni/placements. One or two have said they get no downtime. Now I do fully appreciate I will be working loads at weekends and evenings, but I think people would burn out if they didn't get a decent amount of time away (half terms?).

Can anyone give me ideas on what the year timetable is like, how many assignments you have (word counts where possible) and when you can start applying for employment as an NQT. Assistance from any BGrot students will be particularly useful :-)

thanks in advance
    You can start applying for employment at any point in the year. Some people get jobs before Christmas.
    If you're at BG then you should get half terms. One of my old housemates is currently on the course and she gets the half term off. Some unis do plan study weeks during them though. Bear in mind that you will likely spend a chunk of half term planning and marking in preparation for the week after!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    You can start applying for employment at any point in the year. Some people get jobs before Christmas.
    If you're at BG then you should get half terms. One of my old housemates is currently on the course and she gets the half term off. Some unis do plan study weeks during them though. Bear in mind that you will likely spend a chunk of half term planning and marking in preparation for the week after!
    Haha roger that! I have no doubt I shall be worked to the bone. Just want these milestones away to look forward to. Certain I shall need them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali B)
    Good evening guys,

thanks in advance
    I can't speak specifically for BGrot unfortunately but I can give an overview based on my PGCE and others that I've heard about.

Generally you don't get half terms, as you will be in uni during them, but you will get Xmas and Easter holidays and probably finish a bit earlier than the school year in the summer.

Teaching on the whole is all about finding a balance. It is very tough and it takes a lot of practice to get it right. Basically, you need to set time aside and say 'I am doing x with my friend on this date' or 'I am having a day off on the sofa on this date' and then STICK TO IT. The reason it's hard is that there are a lot of time sensitive things in teaching (so we think 'It's urgent, I have to do it' even if it's not necessarily important) and there is ALWAYS something you could do. Always. So the problem is training yourself to take some time off even though there is work you could be doing, and not feeling guilty about it.

Courses are generally organised so that you get appropriate breaks. For example, I had 5 assignments and two tests, one of the assignments being a presentation, one a collection of many short tasks and 3 essays of between 1500 and 3000 words. They were spread across the year and positioned after breaks from placement so you weren't deeply engrossed in planning AND having to write an essay at the same time. Two of them were in December (the collection of tasks and the shortest essay) a couple of weeks after placement finished, one was first week back in Jan, one was after half term a few weeks after placement finished again and the last was first week back after Easter. They also gave us some strategically placed study days so we could use those for assignments and to get a rest.

Primary jobs generally start to come up from around now right through until the end of the year. Pools generally open in Feb(ish) if you want to apply through one.

I would say, don't panic. If teaching is what you want to do then you will get through it. Many of the posts I've read make it sound worse than it was for me personally. I enjoyed the year, I learnt a lot. I still saw friends every now and then and I only had mini-breakdowns 2 or 3 times lol. My relationship wasn't tarnished. I also made some new really good friends who helped me through it all, and had lots of fun in the process! It certainly was extremely tough, probably the hardest thing I've done, but also it was a good year and I remember it fondly, rather than with hatred!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Been offered my first interview from my first application! A week today :eek: still waiting to hear from the school I really want as the deadline is on Thursday and the interview process is next week as well, possibly even the same day! Will just have to wait and see if I get an offer from there as well and then I'll have to make a tough decision.

Going to research the first school more now and swat up on interview techniques etc. nervous but really pleased that a school liked my application enough to offer me an interview!

ReputationRep:
    Just had my first interview. They shortlisted at lunch after the lesson observation, and I managed to get through to the formal interviews.. Waited around for 4 hours to then be rejected after interview. Absolutely gutted and now got to go home and plan my lessons for tomorrow which is really the last thing I want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Just had my first interview. They shortlisted at lunch after the lesson observation, and I managed to get through to the formal interviews.. Waited around for 4 hours to then be rejected after interview. Absolutely gutted and now got to go home and plan my lessons for tomorrow which is really the last thing I want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww, sorry to hear that. Count it as experience and I'm sure you'll be even better next time. I think it's something we have to be prepared for, rejection. It might take a few before we get the break.

What kind of questions did they ask if you don't me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you think schools consider locality when choosing applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Aww, sorry to hear that. Count it as experience and I'm sure you'll be even better next time. I think it's something we have to be prepared for, rejection. It might take a few before we get the break.

What kind of questions did they ask if you don't me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's harder to deal with than I thought! Was in tears after I left (sounds sad haha). I just loved the school and felt like I'd be an excellent fit. Ah well, obviously wasn't meant to be!

Ermmm they asked about things like safeguarding, a good lesson that I have taught, how I thought my observation lesson went, what extra-curricular skills I could bring to the school, why I chose to teach History, how I would deal with conflict of opinion with another staff member, how I can create a vibrant classroom... can't remember any others but I'll post if I do.

ReputationRep:
    It's harder to deal with than I thought! Was in tears after I left (sounds sad haha). I just loved the school and felt like I'd be an excellent fit. Ah well, obviously wasn't meant to be!

Ermmm they asked about things like safeguarding, a good lesson that I have taught, how I thought my observation lesson went, what extra-curricular skills I could bring to the school, why I chose to teach History, how I would deal with conflict of opinion with another staff member, how I can create a vibrant classroom... can't remember any others but I'll post if I do.
    Yeah I can imagine how hard it's to take. I've yet to be called for interview but there's a couple schools I'd really like to get my foot in and I'll be rather gutted if they say no at any time.

Ok, the questions are not too bad but I guess it's about the way one conveys themselves - that's where I think I'll fall short.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sick of job interviews now. I've had about 4 in the past three weeks. The last two I missed out on due to lack of experience :/ The one I went to today told me I was an outstanding candidate but the other person outperformed me, which was inevitable because she had 4 years exp!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Sick of job interviews now. I've had about 4 in the past three weeks. The last two I missed out on due to lack of experience :/ The one I went to today told me I was an outstanding candidate but the other person outperformed me, which was inevitable because she had 4 years exp!
    That's essentially why I lost out today. The other candidate slightly outperformed me on the day (we were both trainees so on a level playing field in that sense). Comes down to luck sometimes!

ReputationRep:

I cried too after leaving my first interview having failed to make the afternoon bit. I hate teaching interviews! I hate being judged on teaching to a group of children I've never met before! I knew I needed to ask for feedback afterwards to help with other interviews and it was the hardest thing not to cry during it!

But looking back it was a learning experience. I now know that I need to prepare tougher tasks to really challenge children, as you never know what level they will be at!

Xxx
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got two interviews next week now - one Monday and one Wednesday.

I've planned my Monday lesson roughly but it needs tweaking I think and I'm going to ask my tutor's advice tomorrow. I'm worried it's too 'safe' though, there's nothing particularly special about it or is it purely the pupil progression the observer is interested in? I have 50 minutes to teach the lesson whereas my Wednesday interview is 25 minutes.

ReputationRep:

I've planned my Monday lesson roughly but it needs tweaking I think and I'm going to ask my tutor's advice tomorrow. I'm worried it's too 'safe' though, there's nothing particularly special about it or is it purely the pupil progression the observer is interested in? I have 50 minutes to teach the lesson whereas my Wednesday interview is 25 minutes.
    Progression is a major thing they'll be looking for, but they'll also be focusing on how you interact with the pupils. Particularly in a shorter interview lesson, they know progress is limited by the fact that you don't know the pupils' abilities and prior knowledge so can't plan accordingly, but if you show some differentiation and ability to adapt to the kids you've got in front of you it shows them you will be able to promote good progress when you have your own classes.

I don't think you should aim to do anything too "special" - stick to things which you've done before and which have worked well in the past, which aren't too complicated to explain and set up. If you have an activity which fits the previous criteria and which you know other pupils have enjoyed then use it, but don't go nuts trying to make it so engaging/fun that you end up taking loads of risks and overcomplicating things.

Obviously that's just my opinion - there are other more experienced posters on here who may disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Brent's NQT pool. Anyone can offer any advice? Not specifically for Brent but just what to expect with pool interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm yet to go for interview but one thing I was told by someone is if the class has lolly sticks use them. Since it's a secondary school they probably won't but no harm asking. And try to get a few names of the kids in while teaching.

One question. Does your mentor mind you leaving school? I have to tell mine about my interview next week but just worried that it's gonna be a trend - I'm gonna have quite a few interviews. But I guess my mentor should be okay as she should kinda expected it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep at it, you should know that people like you will inspire countless discoveries in the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.