Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cast.Iron)
    Maybe it's a rival Skype group :holmes:.
    Let's find out and take them down. :sparta:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Let's find out and take them down. :sparta:
    Xiang can hack the **** out of them :smug:.

I bet it's the Oxonians - I knew you shouldn't have touched their spreadsheet. :rolleyes::p:

(I've been hit too, although I imagine it's unrelated. :iiam:)

You make a very good point.

Perhaps I will just buy a tuxedo one and wear it to matriculation .
        If you're buying a tuxedo, it'll come in handy for black tie events, but wear a plain black suit and tasteful tie to matriculation (not, I repeat, not anything with cartoon characters like some people do!). I've seen a guy in a wing collar and normal tie in one matriculation photo, and he looked like a muppet.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tortious)
        If you're buying a tuxedo, it'll come in handy for black tie events, but wear a plain black suit and tasteful tie to matriculation (not, I repeat, not anything with cartoon characters like some people do!). I've seen a guy in a wing collar and normal tie in one matriculation photo, and he looked like a muppet.
        I meant a tuxedo morphsuit .

However, I will be buying a dinner suit and a lounge suit (although the former will probably be a rather cheap one). Do you think that Navy would be ok? I'm not a fan of plain black suits.

I meant a tuxedo morphsuit .
          Sorry... :facepalm2:

However, I will be buying a dinner suit and a lounge suit (although the former will probably be a rather cheap one). Do you think that Navy would be ok? I'm not a fan of plain black suits.
          *Winces uneasily*

I know that midnight blue's a recognised tuxedo colour, but I think you'd be better off with black. The main purpose is conformity, and I've only ever seen people in black (notch and shawl lapel are the most popular, followed by a few with peak - but that's the only variation in the style). I think it'd be safer to fit in, even if it's not what you personally prefer.

Social norms and expectations are the reason I wear an evening dress when I'd be happier in a tux - sometimes it's better not to stand out. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
          Sorry... :facepalm2:

*Winces uneasily*

I know that midnight blue's a recognised tuxedo colour, but I think you'd be better off with black. The main purpose is conformity, and I've only ever seen people in black (notch and shawl lapel are the most popular, followed by a few with peak - but that's the only variation in the style). I think it'd be safer to fit in, even if it's not what you personally prefer.

Social norms and expectations are the reason I wear an evening dress when I'd be happier in a tux - sometimes it's better not to stand out. :sigh:
          Sorry, I must have phrased that badly. I meant buying a navy suit for matriculation and general interview-wear etc.

Sorry, I must have phrased that badly. I meant buying a navy suit for matriculation and general interview-wear etc.
            No, it's probably me being dense. :ahee:

*Looks at very old, very small matriculation photo on Facebook*

Yeah, you'll probably be OK. For stuff like this, the dress code is a "dark suit", and your gown will be over it anyway. :yep:

ReputationRep:
            No, it's probably me being dense. :ahee:

*Looks at very old, very small matriculation photo on Facebook*

Yeah, you'll probably be OK. For stuff like this, the dress code is a "dark suit", and your gown will be over it anyway. :yep:
            Maybe it's both :holmes:.

Excellent. Ugh I need to get two suits, a laptop and EVERYTHING else. In other words, I am yet to do any shopping.

ReputationRep:
            Yeah? Check out what we've got to look forward to. #****yeahPembrokeFreshers :smug:
            I isn't a pembroke fresher but THAT LOOKS AWESOME
            Dean's Tea party... win xD

ReputationRep:
            Excellent. Ugh I need to get two suits, a laptop and EVERYTHING else. In other words, I am yet to do any shopping.
            Worry not, I'm in the same boat.

I have to buy clothes though - very urgently.
            And formal clothes. And linen. And a kettle.
            OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO

ReputationRep:

I had the exact realisation today :rolleyes:
            • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

I have no idea what laptop to get. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by kpatb)
            Worry not, I'm in the same boat.

I have to buy clothes though - very urgently.
            And formal clothes. And linen. And a kettle.
            OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO
            (Original post by jonnyboy1993)
            I had the exact realisation today :rolleyes:
            (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
            I have no idea what laptop to get. :bawling:
            We. Are. Screwed.

ReputationRep:
            Does anyone know how you (physically) pay your tuition fees + college fees if you didn't get a loan? - can't find anything about it on the website.

And also, how long do skirts have to be for matric?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
            Somebody is randomly negging my posts.

Enjoy my random pos. :P

Is it cool if I just don't wear a tie to matriculation? Not my style, bro.

Edit: I wasn't really asking for permission, despite how it sounded. I was asking for whether you think it'd be permissible. :P

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by confusedllama)
            Does anyone know how you (physically) pay your tuition fees + college fees if you didn't get a loan? - can't find anything about it on the website.

And also, how long do skirts have to be for matric?
            Manual labour for years and years.

I shouldn't worry about it though, I'm sure they'll be pretty accommodating and helpful when you get there.

ReputationRep:

Bought my macbook pro. Bought my suit. Got lots of books.

You jelly?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Lyam)
            Bought my macbook pro. Bought my suit. Got lots of books.

You jelly?
            Not even slightly bro :pierre:.

ReputationRep:
            Not even slightly bro :pierre:.
            Tsr wouldn't let me rep, so QFT :sexface:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.