Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Even where other countries definition of a 'crime' vastly differs from our own?
    Before going to another country the diplomat should know the laws. If you go on holiday and commit a crime which is not a crime here you are still liable to be punished. Diplomats should not be exempt from the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Well we'll discuss amending the Act to include the text which Nick has highlighted.

(Original post by eff01)
    Would this act actually be permissible under international law? The VC is the international law for diplomatic relations. If the clause is included then it will not be possible for this Act to be used. Right?
    I doubt it, would it not be a declaration of war if used? Ya know, invading someone elses land?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    I doubt it, would it not be a declaration of war if used? Ya know, invading someone elses land?
    I think you have a point there. The other side may possibly see this as an act of war. It all depends on whether the other side has decided to ignore the Vienna Convention as well. The fact of the matter is, if this Bill was implemented in RL, then stuff would go down. I do not support it and if Labour is elected next term, I will repeal this Bill.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by paperclip)
    If you used the 1987 Act to revoke the diplomatic status of an embassy, then used our Act, then no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    If you used the 1987 Act to revoke the diplomatic status of an embassy, then used our Act, then no.
    your assuming that other nations would regard the use of the 1987 act as legitimate, which is highly unlikely (again see the reaction of Ecuador/South America to the mere suggestion of doing so).

under international law any country whose embassy we chose to revoke the status of and subsequently invaded would be more than entitled to consider our actions to be an act of war or at the very least severe aggression.

heck we are in a worse place than many if we do so due to our history and the fact most of the world already hates us for being America's lackies in the middle east.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to alert members of the House that I will be going away from tomorrow (Friday) afternoon until Sunday evening.

If you have any urgent matters during that time, please contact David/TopHat. If you need me for anything please PM me in the meantime and I'll get back to you on my return.

Many thanks.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I'd just like to alert members of the House that I will be going away from tomorrow (Friday) afternoon until Sunday evening.

If you have any urgent matters during that time, please contact David/TopHat. If you need me for anything please PM me in the meantime and I'll get back to you on my return.

Many thanks.
    Can you think of a hypothetical situation where this notification would be of any use to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Real increase in people being petty this parliament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Can you think of a hypothetical situation where this notification would be of any use to anyone?
    Nice edit
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Nice edit
    What edit? :ninja:

(I realised the image was overkill (and also sort of irrelevant) - I have a heart.)

ReputationRep:
    What is the view of the labour party on the current MUN Hypothetical?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Personally, indifferent.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I personally condem the toppling of the legitimate Ethiopian government. The senseless violence directed at the Ethiopian people on the streets of Addis Ababa yesterday is something I find unacceptableble. It is deeply distressing that just weeks after the tragic death of President Zenawi, the country has turned into chaos. I encourage regional players including the AU to take an active part in bringing about an end to this conflict. I further urge Russia and the United Kingdom to consult the United Nations first before taking any multilateral action.

What's the government's position on this hyp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Hi,

I personally condem the toppling of the legitimate Ethiopian government. The senseless violence directed at the Ethiopian people on the streets of Addis Ababa yesterday is something I find unacceptableble. It is deeply distressing that just weeks after the tragic death of President Zenawi, the country has turned into chaos. I encourage regional players including the AU to take an active part in bringing about an end to this conflict. I further urge Russia and the United Kingdom to consult the United Nations first before taking any multilateral action.

What's the government's position on this hyp?
    We are alarmed by the events, and are observing them closeley. We condemn the violence, but are not yet decided on what action we will take if any.

We are alarmed by the events, and are observing them closeley. We condemn the violence, but are not yet decided on what action we will take if any.
    This very confusing as the UK has already sent in a peacekeeping force alongside Russia... I do believe that the MHoC rep and the UK rep should get on the same page as if the MHoC can block countries from joining the EU then the MHoC and UK reps should be working as one with the same lines, not separately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    If it's not relevant to you, dont read it. It's just for those people who are interested and need to know when people are around or not. This is common so I don't see why you've piped up about it now. Lots of people tell the house when they are going away for a few days, so this is just me doing that.

Stop whining.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RoryS)
    If it's not relevant to you, dont read it. It's just for those people who are interested and need to know when people are around or not. This is common so I don't see why you've piped up about it now. Lots of people tell the house when they are going away for a few days, so this is just me doing that.

Stop whining.
    Sorry, I'm just fascinated. What sort of "urgent matters" did you have in mind when you wrote it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    This very confusing as the UK has already sent in a peacekeeping force alongside Russia... I do believe that the MHoC rep and the UK rep should get on the same page as if the MHoC can block countries from joining the EU then the MHoC and UK reps should be working as one with the same lines, not separately.
    They should be cooperating or some kind of link, it's a private thought I have had for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Sorry, I'm just fascinated. What sort of "urgent matters" did you have in mind when you wrote it?
    Accepted.

Manifesto, that's I'm going to say.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Accepted.

Manifesto, that's I'm going to say.
    What are you guys putting in there this time? Are you going to promise to "give young people the world" again?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.