The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2960
Original post by K1NG93
You never post when Nadal loses. I wonder why :wink:

I do Post you see it never says am offline because laptop is on 24/7 and so in phone app but I have other tabs opened like 40 :redface:

nadal could have done better
Original post by ubi1
I do Post you see it never says am offline because laptop is on 24/7 and so in phone app but I have other tabs opened like 40 :redface:

nadal could have done better

So could have Federer. People are saying both Federer and Nad are done. Do you agree?
Reply 2962
Original post by K1NG93
So could have Federer. People are saying both Federer and Nad are done. Do you agree?

Nah both not done, Fed Wimby final easily, won Cincy and Shanghai along with other titles. There still hope for him to get 18, Nadal on the other hand is so injury plagued its unreal, Nadal has potential to do just about anything when hes healthy:redface:

Leave it to NaDaL to win 15 soon and 11 years in a row winning a slam.
Original post by ubi1
Nah both not done, Fed Wimby final easily, won Cincy and Shanghai along with other titles. There still hope for him to get 18, Nadal on the other hand is so injury plagued its unreal, Nadal has potential to do just about anything when hes healthy:redface:

Leave it to NaDaL to win 15 soon and 11 years in a row winning a slam.

I agree with you.
Reply 2964
Stan/Djokovic at 1 set all. Nole broke in the third, but Stan broke back!

Come on Stan!
Reply 2965
Djokovic now 4-0 up in the final set. Difficult to see Stan come back from that. Damn.
Reply 2966
Wow. Bagelled in the final set.
I'm not sure if Djokovic has ever played so bad and won a match but Stan definitely helped and although we got 5 sets rather than an epic it was just a contest of who can play worse and Stan won, just. I expect Djokovic to improve for the final though. After all the upheaval last season both the men's and women's finals feature the usual suspects...
Djokovic wins! Totally inconsistent though, the match was a very see-saw affair. When Stan played well, he dominated, but he played a pretty bad 5th set

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2969
How long was the match

Posted from TSR Mobile
Big 4 now back as the top 4 in men's tennis, I wonder if this year with Murray back in form it'll be back to the status quo
Reply 2971
Original post by lizzy95
Big 4 now back as the top 4 in men's tennis, I wonder if this year with Murray back in form it'll be back to the status quo

How long was the match? I just woke up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubi1
How long was the match? I just woke up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure check the match stats, probably just shy of 4 hours
Reply 2973
Original post by lizzy95
Not sure check the match stats, probably just shy of 4 hours

Nice now Murray has a good chance of winning this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubi1
Nice now Murray has a good chance of winning this

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say it's 50-50 Djokovic had the more challenging semi I feel and came through playing terribly if both him and Murray play a good match Novak will win. Happy for both either way though, definitely would be great to reannounce himself as an elite player by winning and of course Djokovic can further add to his legacy, I'm more concerned about him going for RG though...
What a **** match. So many errors. Nowhere near the quality of their previous two AO encounters. And what the hell happened to Stan in the final set? He just imploded. What was the point of winning the 4th set if he was gonna imploded like that in the final set? If this match was so bad, I'm dreading how bad the final is gonna be. Djokovic-Murray is probably the worst match up in tennis. Most of their matches are just plain boring. I'll probably skip it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lizzy95

With Fedal having both gone out before the QF on 2 surfaces now I think that we are finally seeing their slow decline as inconsistency makes them vulnerable with the negative multipliers arising from that like lower confidence.

With that in mind I see 2 scenarios this year..

1) Being extremely kind to Murray, we could see Djokovic and Murray in all 3 slam finals not on clay, nobody winning more than 2 of the 3. This is because Djokovic will be in finals largely via consistency even if his game is not 2011 like and Murray seems fit again.

2) We see a patchy affair with 2 slams going to the young guns or nobody's. In this sense the US Open could be a harbinger.

The third option which seems unthinkable but possible is that in the vacuum we get Nikishori or Del Potro clearing up and going into the summer slam season with masters titles and streaks to their name.
Original post by K1NG93
What a **** match. So many errors. Nowhere near the quality of their previous two AO encounters. And what the hell happened to Stan in the final set? He just imploded. What was the point of winning the 4th set if he was gonna imploded like that in the final set? If this match was so bad, I'm dreading how bad the final is gonna be. Djokovic-Murray is probably the worst match up in tennis. Most of their matches are just plain boring. I'll probably skip it.

Its boring because the playing style is pretty much the same. Wierd that Nadal's is not given they all went to the same place for a long period.
Wow, can't wait for the final! It's gonna be awesome! :biggrin:
I never usually rag on the top players in any context, but I have to echo what others have said about the match up. Djokovic and Murray are phenomenal players in their own right, but they're so similar in their patterns of play and abilities that the matches do tend to become a bit monotonous, even with the variety they possess. Typically as both players have stronger backhands they end up trading endlessly to that wing till one of them is brave enough to pull the trigger down the line or with the forehand. They also spend a long time testing each other out in the first set out of nerves (which is understandable) but still, you rarely see one or the other exercising all out aggression in order to force the play.

If Djokovic was as flaky as he was for much of his match against Raonic, Murray's got a good chance. Djokovic is obviously the favourite as he's incredibly at winning matches where he's playing poorly, but I've got a good feels for Murray this year. I'm going with him to win.

Quick Reply

Latest