Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elcor)
    There are almost 30 colleges and only 3 ask for STEP for Engineering, so you may as well not apply there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Indeed (unless you are particularly good at maths and want to improve your chances of an offer, albeit at the risk of subsequently missing it).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So if you do miss the offer by a fair bit is there any point in contacting them or would rejected on track be final. How do they communicate what they want you to do?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Good luck to the Scottish offer holders today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    So if you do miss the offer by a fair bit is there any point in contacting them or would rejected on track be final. How do they communicate what they want you to do?
    Rejected on track is final. The only time they may reverse it is if you're getting a remark and they decide to honour the offer while you wait.

If it's still conditional then that means they're deciding, so you would then phone up and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Rejected on track is final. The only time they may reverse it is if you're getting a remark and they decide to honour the offer while you wait.

If it's still conditional then that means they're deciding, so you would then phone up and see what they say.
    OK thanks for the information

(Original post by jneill)
    Indeed (unless you are particularly good at maths and want to improve your chances of an offer, albeit at the risk of subsequently missing it).

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Elcor)
    There are almost 30 colleges and only 3 ask for STEP for Engineering, so you may as well not apply there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess I won't bother then :hoppy:

(Original post by jneill)
    You might want to check this thread too:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3478331
    STEP Prep Thread 2016

But only Christ's, so far, usually ask Engineers to do STEP. And you only do it after you get an offer, not before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't realise it was after. I think I'm just going to focus on the FM AS for now. The TSA is required beforehand, right? It seems like common sense though.

ReputationRep:

Don't they have to accept you if your remark makes your grade go up abs you meet your offer by 31st August?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umutalberts)
    Don't they have to accept you if your remark makes your grade go up abs you meet your offer by 31st August?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No.

Unfortunately, it is only recommended by UCAS that they accept you if the remark goes up by the 31st August. Technically they can decline you on the day of results.

However, most universities will honour the 31st deadline - but you'd need to discuss it with them on the day of results if you miss your offer.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Unfortunately, it is only recommended by UCAS that they accept you if the remark goes up by the 31st August. Technically they can decline you on the day of results.

However, most universities will honour the 31st deadline - but you'd need to discuss it with them on the day of results if you miss your offer.
    I'm pretty sure they are obliged to... That'd be ridiculously unfair if they didn't have to, as it was no fault of their own.

Anyway, Cambridge specifically state conditions are to be met by 31st August. At least that was in my offer conditions, so we're fine here!

Did anyone go to the Cambridge Sutton trust summer school? If so, did you like it and do you think it helped you get the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    This post from someone in Peterhouse's Admission Office may help you.

(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    Hi it's Martin the Admissions Assistant here. I'm going to use bold in a slightly OTT way so you can all see what to do. Think of this as your reference for what to do when you get your results.Hopefully you will find that despite all the worrying, you have done well and have met your offer. If this is the case there's nothing you need to do - we'll be in touch by post that morning (provided Royal Mail cooperate). It may take some time for your UCAS track to be confirmed - we have to confirm each offer individually and this then has to be communicated to UCAS. Don't panic if it doesn't update - any offer you were made was binding and if you've achieved the conditions, you're in.If you find that you haven't achieved your offer, don't panic. There are some things you can do to be helpful and help us reach a decision. Firstly, don't phone the College on results day if you can help it. The phones ring off the hook and you might find it engaged or not answered. We get a LOT of calls that day from parents, students, teachers concerning missed offers, achieved offers, whether we do clearing or adjustment etc.Instead, it is much better to email the college admissions office with the subject as "Offer missed - name, subject" then in the email state what the offer was, what grades you got and what the UMS scores are and whether you are requesting a remark. We already know who has missed and what grades they got but it's helpful to be reminded and the UMS is new and useful information. Emailing allows us to very easily print/forward it for the relevant people and put a copy in your file.You have until the 31st August to achieve your conditions so if you grades increase to meet your offer following a remark and we get the confirmation before this date then your binding offer stands and your place is guaranteed. If it is after this date then nothing is guaranteed and everything is done on a case-by-case basis.Please also note that we are unable to discuss anything with anyone apart from the candidate themselves. It is important that you send the email and if you do want to get in touch by phone it needs to be you, not your parents or teacher (or at least you need to be available to take the phone when we get to the important bit). It is not worth your parents calling us up independently as there's nothing we can discuss with them.This will help us immensely. Thanks all!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post57765823

Good luck with your result!

ReputationRep:
    No.

Re-copying the relevant part to set the record straight.

(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    Hi it's Martin the Admissions Assistant here. ............

You have until the 31st August to achieve your conditions so if you grades increase to meet your offer following a remark and we get the confirmation before this date then your binding offer stands and your place is guaranteed. If it is after this date then nothing is guaranteed and everything is done on a case-by-case basis.!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Re-copying the relevant part to set the record straight.
    Possibly Cambridge specific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Possibly Cambridge specific.
    Possibly. But this is Cambridge specific thread.

ReputationRep:
    No.

To add to what the other posters said: I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember the source) that since they are obliged to accept you, they may stick you into another college or give you a deferred entry unconditional offer if there aren't any places left. 31st August is a binding contract after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To add to what the other posters said: I read somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember the source) that since they are obliged to accept you, they may stick you into another college or give you a deferred entry unconditional offer if there aren't any places left. 31st August is a binding contract after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I attended a UCAS seminar last week where they explicitly stated that there is no obligation to take students after results day and that the 31st August deadline is only suggested.

Saying that, most unis will still honour the offer. Although yes as you've said this may be through a deferred offer etc

As we can see from earlier posts though, Cambridge seems to honour the 31st deadline so it's not an issue here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystery.)
    Did anyone go to the Cambridge Sutton trust summer school? If so, did you like it and do you think it helped you get the offer?
    I did I went to the 2014 summer school for medicine, and I had the best time! I stayed at St John's and ended up applying there (and getting an offer!). I don't know if it helped, but I wrote about it in my personal statement and at the cambridge interview. The experience it gave may have helped yes, but I don't think it made me more favoured than any other applicant if that's what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    This post from someone in Peterhouse's Admission Office may help you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post57765823

Good luck with your result!
    Email it is then. Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your offer is between the College and the offer-holder (not just the University and the offer-holder). The only ways you would end up at another College are via the Summer Pool in the case of a missed offer (if you miss the offer conditions it isn't binding) or through mutual agreement.

If you meet your result following a remark but after 31st August then you might be given a deferred offer. I'm running a results day query thread if anyone has anything else they would like cleared up.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.