The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Yes... I understand some of the basic concepts of it. Maths is maths.
In which case why do you see sports where you can apply it as having no point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
bun
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Good morning all. Hope you are enjoying the manifesto writing.

Barnet have won the Conference! A happy day.
Congratulations! Look forward to losing to you at the Crescent next season!

Also, sticking my neb into the debate about football / mathematics etc...
It's true that at most clubs they do a hell of a lot of statistical analysis - at real madrid each player has a specifically designed bedroom to suit their body, and during the game they will look at how many times a player has used left foot successfully compared to right, average positions of players etc, sprint speed of players at varying points in the game, but most of the scientific, mathematical, analytic side of football is done pre and post- game.
During a match, analysis is important and some stats are taken into consideration, but it is mainly down the the gut feeling of the manager because in a game, statistics count for very little because of how quickly things change.
Last year I was coaching at a team who were in the Europa league a few seasons ago, and the sort of analysis that goes on is incredible. And that's nothing compared to how much the really top teams in England and Spain do, but there's simply no substitute for a manager's intuition.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why don't we all just play some chess?
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Well would you rather that children were taught how to swim or play football?
What about reading? Studying? Painting? All pointless I presume. Let's just get rid of entertainment because it doesn't have an intrinsic life-saving value. How very Puritan...!
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sport for children is useful for 3 reasons, the first is to keep people healthy, keeping in good shape is actually really important to teach children, but the only way we can teach them to keep in good shape is to make it fun for them to do so (this is the main benefit of sports such as football, rugby, hockey). The second reason is to teach children vital skills, ones that they may have to use when put in difficult situations (here is where sports such as swimming, running are useful). The last reason is to teach children to work as a team, I actually think this is the least important reason and we shouldn't force children to play team sports if they know they don't like playing them, I know that many people prefer to do sport by themselves and if someone were to prefer to do a solo sport than a group sport we should allow them, seeing that staying in a good shape is more important.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I love chess, we in the Green Party have online games all the time and I'm green chess champion:colone:
(Original post by The Financier)
In which case why do you see sports where you can apply it as having no point?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't say that... I just see them as having less merit then sports which could save your life.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
What about reading? Studying? Painting? All pointless I presume. Let's just get rid of entertainment because it doesn't have an intrinsic life-saving value. How very Puritan...!
Obviously reading and studies are important, the point was what sports are better if a sport can't benefit you or at least isn't as benifital as another one it should be sidelined.
Cryptographic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But image the public outcry if nothing has happened, after Savile being covered up by the BBC and then refusing to do anything, that would be far worse IMO for the BBC.
There wasn't an outcry at him not being sacked (before he was sacked). But there was one at him being sacked...

Not really, it was made public. However the big story to emerge from this should have been that Danny Cohen thinks that hitting a man is worse than mass molestation!

If they hadn't fired him no one would have cared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
There wasn't an outcry at him not being sacked (before he was sacked). But there was one at him being sacked...

Not really, it was made public. However the big story to emerge from this should have been that Danny Cohen thinks that hitting a man is worse than mass molestation!

If they hadn't fired him no one would have cared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you misjudged this, a lot of people were calling for his dismissal and a lot of people would've cared.

when people say so much rubbish it's hardly news when they say a bit more.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Obviously reading and studies are important, the point was what sports are better if a sport can't benefit you or at least isn't as benifital as another one it should be sidelined.
I would argue you're more likely to need to run away from something that you are to swim for your life, so perhaps football is more useful than swimming.
Football also improves decision making and coordination skills. Fosters leadership abilities and is useful for keeping in shape. Unless you're Jon Parkin.
It's stupid to 'rank' sports. Just enjoy them all I say!
I love swimming, I play and watch rugby (Union and league respectively), enjoy playing tennis and badminton and football is my religions - I play it, coach it and watch it just about every day. I also enjoy watching games of snooker (not a sport IMO!).
Rather than moan about which is better, just enjoy them - that's what they're there for after all!
Airmed
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Why does blocking someone not include their quotes? :dry:
I've wondered that too because I've blocked an idiot a few weeks ago and I don't want to read his uneducated crap and yet his quotes keep coming up. The mods need to fix this.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
I would argue you're more likely to need to run away from something that you are to swim for your life, so perhaps football is more useful than swimming.
Football also improves decision making and coordination skills. Fosters leadership abilities and is useful for keeping in shape. Unless you're Jon Parkin.
It's stupid to 'rank' sports. Just enjoy them all I say!
I love swimming, I play and watch rugby (Union and league respectively), enjoy playing tennis and badminton and football is my religions - I play it, coach it and watch it just about every day. I also enjoy watching games of snooker (not a sport IMO!).
Rather than moan about which is better, just enjoy them - that's what they're there for after all!
Then pure running or cross country is better as the ground is never going to be as flat as a football pitch and having done running in a wood I can tell you the amount of stuff you have to jump over is Immense.
decision making: chess, coordination: darts, maybe archery?

You might be right there but I would say that some sports are more intrinsically valuable then others.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Well would you rather that children were taught how to swim or play football?

also I take it they you like rugby, polo, lacrosse, handball, water polo ect. Then too? After all they all are basically the same... In fact water polo is better because it teacher people to swim and game theory at the same time.
there is absolutely no reason for such a choice, but probably football. Anyone can pick up swimming, you parents when you're about five just take you to the swimming pool and it just happens. But football has to be perfected over years and years. And you have to learn that **** if you're a male and not affluent, just the same as upper class males have to learn how to navigate the social circles of their class; ie read books and stuff.

THose sports aren't that similar to football...yes, they have goals. That's pretty much where the similarity ends.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Then pure running or cross country is better as the ground is never going to be as flat as a football pitch and having done running in a wood I can tell you the amount of stuff you have to jump over is Immense.
decision making: chess, coordination: darts, maybe archery?

You might be right there but I would say that some sports are more intrinsically valuable then others.
None of those sports are anywhere near a good at improving decision making and probably not as good with coordination a football. You've made a very silly point, I'd just give in now.
I can see your argument that certain sports are more useful than others, but that's it. You shouldn't then prioritise that sport. And to pick on football as the weak one shows a fair amount of ignorance if I'm honest.
Midnightmemories
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good afternoon.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a brother in year 9 at the moment and while i think sport is good from what he tells me your rewarded for partcipation rather than winning and it's about teamwork rather than competitive sports.

I'm not really a fan of this personally because i think people should be pushed to create winners and it's entirely unrealistic (teamwork is important in the world of work, but if you want that promotion then you have to competitive, ruthless and potentially be prepared to defecate on a few people). But then schools in general these days seem to be about pushing stragglers up than freeing the best and brightest from any burden.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Sports is about teamwork to an extent in say rugby, football and IDK, doubles tennis but it should be entirely a competition!
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I have a brother in year 9 at the moment and while i think sport is good from what he tells me your rewarded for partcipation rather than winning and it's about teamwork rather than competitive sports.

I'm not really a fan of this personally because i think people should be pushed to create winners and it's entirely unrealistic (teamwork is important in the world of work, but if you want that promotion then you have to competitive, ruthless and potentially be prepared to defecate on a few people). But then schools in general these days seem to be about pushing stragglers up than freeing the best and brightest from any burden.
i agree. losing at football is bad and you should feel bad.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep. By yr 9 certainly it should be about winning. Up till about Yr6, I'd argue enjoyment and technique improvement is the key, but after that it should all be highly competitive because that's the only way you properly improve.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads