Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwifruit99)
    Is it backspace for On/C on the calculator?
    I'm not sure wasn't aware of that shortcut but would be good if it is!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sitting my UKCAT on the 5th of september and I;m currently trying to study for it, I have done 3 mocks so far and get about 650 VR and 550 for AR and for QR and Band 2, and I know that these are by far below par for a good score, does anyone offer any advice on how to improve on AR and QR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanaro)
    Medify is good for the abstract reasoning, although I thought that the questions were a little harder in the actual thing. Verbal reasoning was a range of texts, with the VAST majority being reading comprehension and say 30 / 40% being of a chunky length.
    Have you got tips on QR as I'm struggling with time on this section. I'm not sure if this is normal for medify/1000 qs book or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just done it and got 696.7 average which I'm quite happy about I got a horrendous exam.

VR - Much easier than I anticipated. I got 50:50 statement/ TFCT questions and yes the passages are long but no longer than Medify. I think it tends to be nerves that brings the scores down which was the case with me (I couldn't stop shaking for the first ten minutes!)

Score - 610

QR - Awful awful section. Every one that I got was multi-step and I found myself guessing 40% of them just so I didn't run out of time. Incidentally, this was the highest QR score I ever got so I'm happy But yes, I found it to be on the lines of the Kaplan and not as easy as everyone had made it out to be. In other words prepare for the worst outcome. My biggest advice is if it takes more than 40 seconds, guess and move on.

Score - 750

AR - I got 70% Type 1 questions which were SO easy. I'd say look for the obvious before getting complicated is vital. My score unfortunately got hampered by a good 15 very difficult type 2 questions. I got 1 type 3 and no type 4. I was a little annoyed as my AR tended to range from 770-830 on practice but I wasn't ever barraged with 15 type 2 or 3 questions.

Score - 730

Situational Judgement was really hard I've got to say. It was utterly ridiculous to judge some of the scenarios and actions that were coming up and I felt about 50% confident in my answers. I would say, please practice this one a lot on Medify and learn the key principles of medicine.

Score - Band 1

I wanted to apply to Kings and Edimburgh but I may only choose one as my average is a little on the low side. Hopefully my GCSE will save me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    Alt+n for next, alt+p for previous, alt+c to bring up the calculator and alt+F to flag Also use num lock and manually type in the numbers instead of using the mouse. Good luck
    Hi! I've got my test tomorrow and I was wondering if these shortcuts actually work in the real thing?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arveen.x)
    Hi! I've got my test tomorrow and I was wondering if these shortcuts actually work in the real thing?

Thanks
    yes 100% they work

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone, the thread has been a life saver so far with so many tips

i am currently studying adult nursing and due to finish January 2017 and am applying for medicine this October (UKCAT 10th of september) i want to go to Newcastle so i dont have to move, me and my boyfriend recently got a house,
    my a levels were rubbish but getting 600-800 on mocks so far, and will probably get a 1st degree if not a 2:1,

just wondered the type of medical schools i could apply for,
    currently thinking newcastle 5 years, newcastle 4 years, and leicester

need a one which is fairly low UKCAT and doesnt really look at a levels,

if that is possible ahah

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    yes 100% they work
    thank you! I'm going to try and practise using them on medify and hopefully save some time!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, would you guys say that a circle has 1 corner or would you exclude it from the corner count? I thought the UKCAT set rules focused on edges rather than corners so I haven't thought much about the latter.

In set 26 AR of the uni admissions 2017 book I included a circle in the corner/edges count and ended up not seeing the pattern of 9 corners in set A vs the 10 corners of set B. I was focused on edges rather than corners. The book has some errors so I wanted another opinion please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Just done it and got 696.7 average which I'm quite happy about I got a horrendous exam.

VR - Much easier than I anticipated. I got 50:50 statement/ TFCT questions and yes the passages are long but no longer than Medify. I think it tends to be nerves that brings the scores down which was the case with me (I couldn't stop shaking for the first ten minutes!)

Score - 610

QR - Awful awful section. Every one that I got was multi-step and I found myself guessing 40% of them just so I didn't run out of time. Incidentally, this was the highest QR score I ever got so I'm happy But yes, I found it to be on the lines of the Kaplan and not as easy as everyone had made it out to be. In other words prepare for the worst outcome. My biggest advice is if it takes more than 40 seconds, guess and move on.

Score - 750

AR - I got 70% Type 1 questions which were SO easy. I'd say look for the obvious before getting complicated is vital. My score unfortunately got hampered by a good 15 very difficult type 2 questions. I got 1 type 3 and no type 4. I was a little annoyed as my AR tended to range from 770-830 on practice but I wasn't ever barraged with 15 type 2 or 3 questions.

Score - 730

Situational Judgement was really hard I've got to say. It was utterly ridiculous to judge some of the scenarios and actions that were coming up and I felt about 50% confident in my answers. I would say, please practice this one a lot on Medify and learn the key principles of medicine.

Score - Band 1

I wanted to apply to Kings and Edimburgh but I may only choose one as my average is a little on the low side. Hopefully my GCSE will save me!
    Any tips for QR, I'm struggling with time so was wondering if you had any time saving tips, especially if they are Multi-step?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How similar are medify mocks, (mock 2 especially) to the real exam. I got 650 x 3 and felt QR question are too time taxing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Any tips for QR, I'm struggling with time so was wondering if you had any time saving tips, especially if they are Multi-step?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they're multi-step the best thing to do is to take a guess, flag and move on. The issue is that they may take too long to do and you may have easier questions towards the end (like I did). Frequently, I saw two answers that were quite similar to each other which means it's gonna be one of them (they usually put these to trick people who may have not rounded properly). So I tended to choose the one which looked right.

The trick really was to spot questions that were manageable and not time-consuming, which is hard to do under time pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightingspeed)
    How similar are medify mocks, (mock 2 especially) to the real exam. I got 650 x 3 and felt QR question are too time taxing?
    The last Medify exam was very similar to the one I had (AR was a lot harder though).

EDIT - Scratch that, it's more on the lines of the official mock papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    If they're multi-step the best thing to do is to take a guess, flag and move on. The issue is that they may take too long to do and you may have easier questions towards the end (like I did). Frequently, I saw two answers that were quite similar to each other which means it's gonna be one of them (they usually put these to trick people who may have not rounded properly).

The trick really was to spot questions that were manageable and not time-consuming, which is hard to do under time pressure.
    Thanks! How would you compare the difficulty of exam to Medify/ISC 1000qs book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Thanks! How would you compare the difficulty of exam to Medify/ISC 1000qs book?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The questions were very much similar to Medify but one of the data sets I had (in terms of the obscure data I was presented with) was more similar to the 1000Q book.

ReputationRep:
    Just go with universities that don't use the UKCAT (such as those that use the BMAT, or liverpool), or those with a low UKCAT cutoff score.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the previous ukcat cut off scores for Manchester for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I did my UKCAT today and got the following:
    VR-670
    QR-770
    AR-640
    Average-696
    SJT- Band 2
    Prior to the test, VR had been my highest scoring subtest and QR it depended on the questions. However, I would say QR was easier in the actual thing. AR wasn't too bad, it's just my least favourite section.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im really struggling with my timings. Anyone have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XmayaX)
    I did my UKCAT today and got the following:
    VR-670
    QR-770
    AR-640
    Average-696
    SJT- Band 2
    Prior to the test, VR had been my highest scoring subtest and QR it depended on the questions. However, I would say QR was easier in the actual thing. AR wasn't too bad, it's just my least favourite section.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did your mock scores compare to the real test?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.