Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    Unrelated questions. Something business related and it asked what the favourite type of alcohol for a 15 year old would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yh I saw that as well....hope the grade boundaries do get lowered cuz I was really hoping for a* in biology more than anything....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    So i've just done my first three exams this week and they all went well. So my dad asks me how i did and i said alright. But the thing is for the exams that i've done last year I told him that it was easy. He said that i shouldn't say easy because that it could turn into a fail because i'm over estimating it.*
    So i decided that whatever exam i take i'll say i did alright. So today and two days ago i've told him that i did alright and today he said that i'm constantly saying alright and what does it technically mean. He also said that we just have to wait for the results to see how alright you did but in a negative way. This actually made me cry so badly - why am I so sensitive ? I don't even get him ?*

Thanks*
    I don't know what to do*
    Are you Asian? I know that is totally irrelevant...but us Asian kids do get that a lot from our parents...just got to get used to it you know...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala*15)
    Are you Asian? I know that is totally irrelevant...but us Asian kids do get that a lot from our parents...just got to get used to it you know...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Aw Nisha!
    Your dad seems very contradictory about the whole thing and I completely understand why you don't get him because it would confuse me too.
    I'd say that if you feel your exam went well then tell the truth, because if it went well then you know you did your absolute best with both revision and the actual paper and therefore this should reflect your results on results day.

I have 100% confidence that you'll get fantastic results as you've worked incredibly hard for them and you're very intelligent. Don't listen to what your dad says because we all know you're capable. Only you sat the exam, he doesn't know what was asked and so he can't make a judgment. Please try not to let this discourage you as you've done so so well up until now and it would be a shame to throw it all away because of his comments

Crying is ok and it is understandable but once you stop you have to promise that you won't get upset over it anymore and you will return stronger that ever! If anything, use it as motivation to prove to him that you're not setting too high expectations as you can do it and we all believe in you!
    Aw thank you for your support !!
    I feel so much better now I've taken a deep breath and my dad just wants me to do really well so he tries to motivates me I've taken a deep breath and relaxed I forget about irrelevant things very quickly, thank you though

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. That's what my father said as well. I just said 'cool, we'll see what I get'. Don't worry. Just keep on working hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the support Are you Asian because apparently they want us to do well and they motivate us ? I will

ReputationRep:
    so my end of year ten exams are going awful. I know it's pretty irrelevant compared to the GCSEs which you guys are all doing - but like I didn't think that I would do so badly! I want to achieve 10A*'s in my real GCSEs, but in these end of year ten exams I am loosing any motivation I had now. to me, I don't really mind what mark I get in them as they don't really matter - all that matters is my coursework grade. all I'm worried about is that my teachers will think me stupid and think me incapable, I'm not stupid or incapable it was just lack of planning and preparation :/ agh and they give us exams deliberately harder than the real GCSEs..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Yep
    My parents are exactly the same...they want you to do well but they literally cannot resist the temptation of throwing in some demotivational (not sure that's a word) comments in every now and then...when I got home from my first exam..I sat down to tell my parents how well it went....less than 2 minutes later they say, get up there is no time to waste, you've got another exam to do ( they don't even bother to say well done to motivate me...it's like..umm..thx for the motivation and support...I really appreciate it (said sarcastically)...but can't help it..that's them...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    so my end of year ten exams are going awful. I know it's pretty irrelevant compared to the GCSEs which you guys are all doing - but like I didn't think that I would do so badly! I want to achieve 10A*'s in my real GCSEs, but in these end of year ten exams I am loosing any motivation I had now. to me, I don't really mind what mark I get in them as they don't really matter - all that matters is my coursework grade. all I'm worried about is that my teachers will think me stupid and think me incapable, I'm not stupid or incapable it was just lack of planning and preparation :/ agh and they give us exams deliberately harder than the real GCSEs..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, don't worry!
    Take them as a lesson - to make sure that you prepare yourself better for year 11 mocks and then obviously your GCSEs.
    It's good that you want to focus on your coursework as at this stage they actually contribute to your grades, your mocks don't.
    If teachers think you're stupid and incapable, then it's more reflecting themselves than you. You're most certainly not stupid and you're more than capable! Like you said, it's simply a lack of preparation which you can easily learn from.
    If your mocks are being made harder than the actual GCSEs that you'll sit, then allow it to reassure you. You'll know that your real exams will be easier than this and so you can expect your grades to be higher next year

ReputationRep:
    Its an Asian thing don't worry and keep your chin up!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    UPDATE FOR 19/05/16
    • 30 B1-B3 Q Cards
    • 30 Geography Q Cards
    • 276 German cards
    • Biology 1-3 past paper
    Hopefully going to absolutely revise everything needed for next week over tomorrow and the weekend - things are getting stressful for me now, so I completely understand how you lot all feel Chin up everyone and keep going
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by brainzistheword)
    UPDATE FOR 19/05/16
    • 30 B1-B3 Q Cards
    • 30 Geography Q Cards
    • 276 German cards
    • Biology 1-3 past paper
    Hopefully going to absolutely revise everything needed for next week over tomorrow and the weekend - things are getting stressful for me now, so I completely understand how you lot all feel Chin up everyone and keep going
    Have you only had one exam all week? 😯
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Have you only had one exam all week? 😯
    Yup and it wasn't even one I had chosen to take - we only got told a few weeks ago

But yeah, only the one, I have 5 next week which still isn't as much as you guys I don't think
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yup and it wasn't even one I had chosen to take - we only got told a few weeks ago

But yeah, only the one, I have 5 next week which still isn't as much as you guys I don't think
    Wow you're lucky! I've had 5 this week (well, after tomorrow) and I've got another 5 next week. After half term they do start to spread out a bit though which is good as it gives me more time to revise for the harder exams
    I've been told that they try to get option subjects out of the way first so it's weird that your first one was a compulsory one
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Wow you're lucky! I've had 5 this week (well, after tomorrow) and I've got another 5 next week. After half term they do start to spread out a bit though which is good as it gives me more time to revise for the harder exams
    I've been told that they try to get option subjects out of the way first so it's weird that your first one was a compulsory one
    Wow you've been busy. And oh, I didn't mean a compulsory one as such. I didn't take it as an option but they decided at last minute to try and enter me in it.

Although, most of my upcoming exams are the compulsory ones, like after next week I will have done all English Lit and one maths, as well as one of the 6 science ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be so worried about these exams..just make sure that ur coursework grade is good and then just start working towards ur GCSE exams...honestly....I failed most of my year 10 exams and mock exams...but that didn't really demotivate me...it actually motivated me to do more...ask for ur teacher to give your exam papers back after she marks them so you can go through the topics you didn't do so greatly in...that would really help...I've done like four GCSE exams so far and i honestly thought that looking through the exam papers I did in the past was really helpful...
    Oh and a tip for ur actual GCSE exams...don't cram in all the stuff...start making revision notes as soon as you finish a topic in school so you can look back at them when your exams are closer...I am literally cramming in a lot a day before my exams and it is not very helpful...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wow you've been busy. And oh, I didn't mean a compulsory one as such. I didn't take it as an option but they decided at last minute to try and enter me in it.

Although, most of my upcoming exams are the compulsory ones, like after next week I will have done all English Lit and one maths, as well as one of the 6 science ones
    Oh right I see, bet that was a joy to be told about congrats for your efforts with it!

Yeah same here about next week, except I've already had 2 of 9 of my science
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Oh right I see, bet that was a joy to be told about congrats for your efforts with it!

Yeah same here about next week, except I've already had 2 of 9 of my science
    It was!! and thank you

Ah I see, and you've certainly got through a lot of subjects then. When do yours finish?

ReputationRep:
    If I wrote much quicker then the marker wouldn't be able to read my writing and I'm not prepared to take that risk!
    Guess I'll just have to spend less time forgetting stuff mid question haha. At least we did realise and change it though so I guess it doesn't matter really in the end
    I made sure to make my hand writing neat. I guess all of the gaming paid off because I can write neatly and fast. Yeah. That's why they always say you should double check your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It was!! and thank you

Ah I see, and you've certainly got through a lot of subjects then. When do yours finish?
    24th June! A week later than everyone else because of triple science and further maths
    When do yours finish?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I made sure to make my hand writing neat. I guess all of the gaming paid off because I can write neatly and fast. Yeah. That's why they always say you should double check your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, my neat handwriting takes up too much time so I have to find a healthy balance between speed and legibility :laugh:
    And indeed it is!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.