The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

made_of_fail
all he did was take some decent free kicks. hence placekicker. minus the free kicks, clint dempsey looked better as a right sided midfielder.

defoe looked good tonight. well, at least before he took his shots. although i suppose he was up against a pretty rotten back line.

True enough. But them Freekicks are sometimes the things that create the goals, like tonight.

If given more space, i think Defoe could have easily scored. But his shots were off target. But hey, all the best players miss.. Next time he might be lucky. If there is a next time... Chances?
Ronaldo VII
He played at least a year ago when Nugent stole his goal.

Oh yeah, so he did. March 2007.. How could i forget that :eek:

My mistake... :getmecoat
My own take on the match.

Good performance... nothing special, but i didn't expect it to be. Beckham showed he still has alot of quality (looked better than Bentley i think), glad to see a good performance by Gerrard (though Lampard was rather MIA). Rooney was great... wasn't convinced by Defoe though, didn't seem like he had the finish on him (and looks like he may end up another like Bent or Cole, who just does nothing at international level), and i would have rather someone else got a chance (Like Agbonlahor, who i think would have worked far better in this match, given the chance).

Shame Terry was made captain, but can't fault the back 4, or keeper at all.

My biggest problem was Capello. The substitutions seemed to me, to be rather pointless. Bentley was fair enough, but you get nothing more from bringing Cole, Bridge or Crouch on, as they have played enough for England, and subsitutions should be about trying something a bit different, especially in friendlies. It made me ask the question, did he in the end do anything different from either Sven or McClaren on the pitch this time around.
Reply 2963
there are a lot of things wrong with england tonight/last few years that i would like to point out. bit ott but the little things count.

1. england only look comfortable when passing around the back four and near the half way line. they dont really play the ball across midfield...it all seems a bit hurried when the midfielders get the ball. no wonder why ball retention is bad.

2. free kicks. taking free kicks from near the halfway line to hoof into the area is exactly what is wrong with england. its a bit stop start stop start. why not just take a quick free kick and keep the ball moving. i know terry scored from a nice free-kick but england need to be more expansive then that.

3. wayne bridge, peter crouch, david beckham. these are 3 players and im sure there is more, that do not deserve to be involved with the england team. capello mr sergeant my arse.

bridge has played 2 games, maybe even 1, since january.
peter crouch has hardly figured for liverpool when it really mattered, while ashton has been playing week in week out scoring some really good goals.
david beckham? bentley has been good all season, week in week out, you could tell he was TOO eager to please when he came on. feel sorry for the lad.
Cappello's making the same mistakes as the rest did. Still, even though it's a friendly, it's a great result for England.
Thoughts on Glen Johnson? (Maybe wasn't on long enough to judge).

Most pointless sub - Crouch... Agbonlahor could and should have been picked over him..

Good time to experiment though.. Hope he knows now who to play, and who not to play, etc....
anelka9
there are a lot of things wrong with england tonight/last few years that i would like to point out. bit ott but the little things count.

1. england only look comfortable when passing around the back four and near the half way line. they dont really play the ball across midfield...it all seems a bit hurried when the midfielders get the ball. no wonder why ball retention is bad.

2. free kicks. taking free kicks from near the halfway line to hoof into the area is exactly what is wrong with england. its a bit stop start stop start. why not just take a quick free kick and keep the ball moving. i know terry scored from a nice free-kick but england need to be more expansive then that.

3. wayne bridge, peter crouch, david beckham. these are 3 players and im sure there is more, that do not deserve to be involved with the england team. capello mr sergeant my arse.

peter crouch has hardly figured for liverpool when it really mattered, while ashton has been playing week in week out scoring some really good goals.
david beckham? bentley has been good all season, week in week out, you could tell he was TOO eager to please when he came on. feel sorry for the lad.

How could you have watched England and Britain's Got Talent? :hmmmm:
Reply 2967
Ronaldo VII
How could you have watched England and Britain's Got Talent? :hmmmm:

sky plus. if you have heard of it.
This is the first England game I have ever missed since 2000.
Just after Rooney got his yellow card, didn't he say something to the ref, like this:

'Oh for **** sake. **** off you ****'...

Loved it :biggrin:
It was the highlight of the 2nd half. Someone needed to tell him after blowing the whistle multiple times at every possible opportunity :s:
Ronaldo VII
It was the highlight of the 2nd half. Someone needed to tell him after blowing the whistle multiple times at every possible opportunity :s:

Aye, that ref was quite whistle happy.

Infact, how he passed ref school is beyond me...

Was bloody awful. And he's going to be in the Euro's.... Going to be some annoying games with him as ref :frown:
anelka9

Did you actually watch the match? Ball retention was actually pretty good this time, most of the time, even though USA were pressing high up the pitch, England looked comfortable on the ball (though replacing Lampard for Carrick or Barry would make things better).

I can't rememember any free kick from around the half way line which was just hoofed up there, they were almost always taken short. Only ones close to the area, were either played in there, or had a shot, and if they make goals, surely thats what matters.

Beckham played better than Bentley in the match, did more, looked better with the ball. While Bentley may be one of the players for the future, Beckham is still the best in that role, in my eyes. I agree about Crouch and Bridge though.
Reply 2973
anelka9

Sounds like a rugby game dude, you sure you were watching the England game :teeth:
Reply 2974
I missed the game as I was out with some mates celebrating another mate's birthday! Doesn't sound like I missed much then?

You guys, on the other hand, missed Cameron Diaz looking as sexy as ever :jiggy:
Reply 2975
It's England Lea, i would have swapped it for a birthday do anyday! :biggrin:
Stupid kick off time of 10.30pm against Trinidad and Tobago :s: +1 hour for me as I'll be in Spain :cool:
Reply 2977
------------Ashton--
---Gerrard--Rooney--Walcott--
--------Barry--Hargreaves--
A.Cole--Terry--Ferdinand--Richards--
------------James--

Now Walcott may not be the best move defensively speaking because he can't cover his full back, but one notable thing today was the lack of pace in the squad and that is why I would put him in there. To accommodate that I figure Hargreaves and Barry holding is the best move because Hargreaves can cover for Richards and Barry can cover for A.Cole occasionally. Having them there free's Gerrard from defensive responsibilies and gives us more ability to build play in the final third.

4-2-3-1 has worked well to get the best out of Gerrard at l'pool but we saw Rooney didn't really work in it, but looking at the position he kept moving into today (Rooney) its clear he can work here - he basically took Lampard out of the game by playing his position.
Reply 2978
I was going to suggest a similar front six, but with Steven Gerrard wide right, Joe Cole on the left, and Dean Ashton replaced with "???".
Richards is injured and isn't in the squad. Also, we don't know who will be cut from the squad, it could be those included in the CL final which would require a big change in personnel.

Latest