Florida Church plans "Burn a Qu'ran" day on 9/11/2010 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Phantom_X
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
Yup, cause 1 Florida church is representative of over 300 million people. :rolleyes: And then you have the audacity complain about people generalizing Muslims because of the actions of a few. Hypocrite if I ever met one...
I said 'such americans' referring to these types of people who happen to be american.i wasnt generalising about Americans, that would make me foolish, yes. Perhaps i should have rephrased it to 'such individuals'.
jammythedodger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phantom_X)
http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2010/...y-to-mark-911/

There are other links on the blog.

Quite frankly this is disgusting. I understand that people may not agree with Islam, but that dosent mean bigotry, intolerance or hostility needs to occur. They complain that muslim societies are unaccepting, backward and do not value human rights, yet they contradict this in their planned actions.

At least in Britain we know what is right and wrong. It seems that such Americans are even more backward than the islamic fundamentalists.
How does burning a Holy Book contradict human rights?

I mean, I'd be bloody furious if someone burned the Bible, but it wouldn't be convening my human rights...
Phantom_X
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jammythedodger)
How does burning a Holy Book contradict human rights?

I mean, I'd be bloody furious if someone burned the Bible, but it wouldn't be convening my human rights...
I was simply talking about the general accusations toward muslim countries often preached in these types of churches. Burning a book does not impeach human rights no, but it does exemplify intolerance, exert hatred between peoples and in some ways even insults muslims by accusing them to be devil worshippers, if you read more of the blog.

1/2 of the typing was to do with rage too, my bad homes.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If this church goes through with this I will burn a bible in protest.
Mann18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
One side of me says "Freedom of speech dictates that it should be permitted."
Another says, "This is just going to cause more controversy."

Most of me says well done to the jackanape who gave this debacle publicity.

At the end of the day, if some idiots want to burn a book in supposed protest of something, let them, it gets them out of the house for the day. If it spills over in to incitement of religious hatred, let the police deal with it.
I think people care too much about things, if someone wanted to burn a bible, I wouldn't care, I'd just think "Well, that was a waste of a book wasn't it?" As I would if anyone burned anything with value.
jannike
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not even worth being outraged by, and I find it more comical than frustrating. There will always be religious nuts who are absolutely sure that their beliefs are right and everyone with different beliefs will burn in hell. By burning a few Qu'rans, they will only be attracting attention to their own stupidity, while harming no one.

The same as you would advise a child being bullied by another, I would suggest "Just ignore them and they will get bored and go away", as these people are just big children. Anyone who would respond to this with anger/threats would be reflecting an almost equal level of stupidity.
jammythedodger
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phantom_X)
I was simply talking about the general accusations toward muslim countries often preached in these types of churches. Burning a book does not impeach human rights no, but it does exemplify intolerance, exert hatred between peoples and in some ways even insults muslims by accusing them to be devil worshippers, if you read more of the blog.

1/2 of the typing was to do with rage too, my bad homes.
Thing is, I think these people are bafoons, but I must ask you to bear that in mind before I carry on.

Regards "intolerance" - I don't tolerate rape, because I consider it to be unacceptable. This people consider whatever they seen in Islam to be 'unacceptable', and thats fair enough.

Hatred - I can imagine that if one is a Christian, one may have distaste for those that suggest that Jesus was not the son of God and those that effectively say the Gospels are a pack of lies :p: Some people take things too far, big deal, their entitled to their opinion.

Insult - they have a right to insult in a free country. And if thats what they believe, well, thats what they believe. Cant help it. A fifth of people in New Jersey think Obama's the antichrist. People are allowed to believe what they want to.

Just in general, they live in a free country and these things are permissible in such a place imho.
Tzarchasm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is exactly why I don't belong to any church.
chigz32
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jammythedodger)
Thing is, I think these people are bafoons, but I must ask you to bear that in mind before I carry on.

Regards "intolerance" - I don't tolerate rape, because I consider it to be unacceptable. This people consider whatever they seen in Islam to be 'unacceptable', and thats fair enough.

Hatred - I can imagine that if one is a Christian, one may have distaste for those that suggest that Jesus was not the son of God and those that effectively say the Gospels are a pack of lies :p: Some people take things too far, big deal, their entitled to their opinion.

Insult - they have a right to insult in a free country. And if thats what they believe, well, thats what they believe. Cant help it. A fifth of people in New Jersey think Obama's the antichrist. People are allowed to believe what they want to.

Just in general, they live in a free country and these things are permissible in such a place imho.
So if people tolerate rape, its okay for them to actually rape? If they believe its okay to kill, they can indeed kill?

Beliefs are one thing, but acting on them is another
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PGtips92)
You said in the spoiler "some Christians do much worse than that." Erm... like what? I mean, the worst cases of "Christian extremism" tend to involve nutjob Christians holding up banners saying "God hates ****" or burning the Quran, etc. How can you begin to compare this with the worst cases of "Muslim extremism"?
:facepalm2:
You're missing the point, Christians of course do do worse, Christians can kill, sometimes believing it's in the name of God.
One I think we should remember is President (or as some called him, 'governor') Bush, and I'm sure there are plenty in the military who are Christian believe that their killing is 'morally justified'.
Or do you not think killing is worse than burning a book? Well I guess there are global warming implications:awesome:.

Now the point of that was that the 'some' was crossed out. Some Christians do do worse than that, some don't. But to say 'Christians' In a blanket way as opposed to 'Some Christians' (which doesn't imply all or even most) is a whole different piece of wording.
So are we just talking about the worst case extremism of 'Some Muslims'? Or are we talking about 'Muslims'?
jammythedodger
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chigz32)
So if people tolerate rape, its okay for them to actually rape? If they believe its okay to kill, they can indeed kill?

Beliefs are one thing, but acting on them is another
It's burning a book... not an Imam.

Well... the point I was making that people are a bit silly if the throw about PC keywords like "intolerance" and then proceed to be intolerant of their actions.

I agree we SHOULD be intolerant of things, just we (society/parlieament/whatever) need to make the decision what it is. Claiming that "intolerance" is a bad thing out and out is silly.
JAKstriked
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The muslims are even bigger children for the reaction they will no doubt give.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree with you OP.

Except that it's not like this in Britain. While there aren't so many openly negative extremist views, and it's less 'tolerated', there are sadly still people like this here
The Cornerstone
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The thing is that they have to find a quran, and after publicising this, I doubt they will.

religious nutjob protest fail
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Christian right in the USA hits a new low. :yy:

There have been a million and one celebrated American born-again evangelists and televangelists who were exposed as paedophilic homosexual sinners, widespread criticism for their use of influence to ban the teaching of evolution in schools, the fact that they broadly know so little about international affairs and yet make the loudest noises to influence every group they can despite being ridden with corruption, the fact they have Ann Coulter, and now this...

:facepalm2:
S-man10
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
Where was I when this thread got started? Sleeping.....

But then again this is America. I wont be surprised when some Muslim dude decides to sue "Allah", because he couldnt keep his promise to protect the Quran.
TheProdigy2k9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JAKstriked)
The muslims are even bigger children for the reaction they will no doubt give.
It's our holy book, why wouldn't we get pissed off?
JAKstriked
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
It's our holy book, why wouldn't we get pissed off?
Doesn't religion teach turning the other cheek and forgiveness? If you believe what they're doing is as bad as it is, then surely an eternity in hellfire will sort them out?

but hey, knocking down a couple more towers may do wonders for international relations.
ThisisZAK
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Suetonius)
I'm only opposed to this because I'm vehemently opposed to the burning of books (especially considering its connotations). I also think its terribly hypocritical for another faith-based organisation to be doing this. Nonetheless, if this was something other than a book - for example, "Burn a maniquin of the Prophet Mohammed Day" - and carried out by non-believers then I'd have no objections at all. Muslims don't have to do it if they don't want to, but there can be no credible argument made to prevent me from doing it. I don't believe in this nonsense. As far as I'm concerned, Mohammed was a nobody who deserves to be condemned because of his perverse sexual behaviour. Any religious arguments are meaningless to me. I saw people burning maniquins of Gordon Brown on bonfire night. The reaction Muslims should show to cases of non-believers doing this to their so-called prophet should be exactly the same as Labour Party supporters on that occasion. Either complete indifference or acceptance that their faith is held to be irrational and destructive by many across the globe.
You see, it's all about who's more powerful... many centuries ago, when the Muslims had the upper hand, no one could do or say such things as the west is saying/doing today, in fact, some Muslims (sometimes) transgressed and oppressed people belonging to other faiths (Christians, Jews, Hindus)... and it wasn't so easy to forget for the oppressed people.

Once the oppressed got power, they remembered how they were being treated, and until now, Muslims suffer... because they aren't powerful any more...

But do you think that this will last forever? don't you think that like in the past, the Muslims won't restore their lost power?

Anyone who's familiar enough with history, would say that this situation isn't static, it will change, maybe it will take time... but some day, the Muslims will restore their power!

And then, what do you think will happen?

The west will suffer, as long as the Muslims are on top, the west will be oppressed...

& It will be globally just, because the Muslims were hurt so many times that they aren't about to forget how they were treated!

And they will treat twice badly those who treated them badly.

I'm not saying that I wish this scenario to occur, I'm only saying that this is the normal pattern of humanity Vs Power... because if you oppress others when you're strong, others will surely oppress you twice when you'll be weak.
thesisomer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Americans != some ridiculous church in Florida.

Not all of us are southern, or Christian, or stupid.

I'm sure there are serious levels of crazy people in both countries. I'm sure there are more in America, yeah... but shame on you for blaming an entire country for the faults of some group of nutcases.

Shame on them, more.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1375)
79.53%
Leave (354)
20.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise