Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Yeah, sorry...

I must have been in a bad mood, I think. I just thought you were telling him that they were lying about him being close rather than informing him that reapplying may not be a wise move. I hope you can accept my apology.
    No worries! I probably flew off the handle a bit too!

ReputationRep:
    Someone please give me advice (should I reapply?)..
    I got rejected this time, but I have 4 offers (one of them unconditional) since October and early November.
    Im currently outside the EU but Im considered as a home student, and I applied independently. Is it worth reapplying for 2012, while at another university (Leicester)? Its so easy for me to ask for another reference and to apply to another course, and we got $$ so the fees arent a problem.. But is it worth reapplying seeing as I have nothing to lose?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aa1993)
    Someone please give me advice (should I reapply?)..
    I got rejected this time, but I have 4 offers (one of them unconditional) since October and early November.
    Im currently outside the EU but Im considered as a home student, and I applied independently. Is it worth reapplying for 2012, while at another university (Leicester)? Its so easy for me to ask for another reference and to apply to another course, and we got $$ so the fees arent a problem.. But is it worth reapplying seeing as I have nothing to lose?
    Depends on the similarity of the course. I emailed round a few colleges with the same intentions as you and a couple said they'd be fine in letting m in to a similar course if I provide evidence that my current uni knew I'd be dropping out if I got an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    Im so upset to be rejected the worst part is, they said I was so close. I was told if I'd applied any other year I would have been given a place. I was rejected through the pool
    Oh my god, I am so sorry. I was hoping you would be offered a place; I had it in my mind that you already did. You've firmed Durham's offer, I noticed. I don't know what to say, other than do your best to find a silver lining, even if you have to color one in yourself.

*hug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Depends on the similarity of the course. I emailed round a few colleges with the same intentions as you and a couple said they'd be fine in letting m in to a similar course if I provide evidence that my current uni knew I'd be dropping out if I got an offer
    Im going to study history, but im reapplying for Theology & Religious Studies as I have the perfect background and speak both arabic and hebrew which are compulsory when studying that course. History and Theology arent really considered similar, right?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Im going to study history, but im reapplying for Theology & Religious Studies as I have the perfect background and speak both arabic and hebrew which are compulsory when studying that course. History and Theology arent really considered similar, right?
    Nope, should be fine. But I'd still email round to see if your preferred college(s) will allow it, I know some can be a bit hesitant in 'stealing' students from other unis.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't they make you study Ancient Greek instead in that circumstance? I don't know if you can get away with language education totally or learn what you've already done before.

Just saying that Hebrew and Arabic may well not be an advantage at all. It's a bit like an MML student who can already speak four languages due to their multi-lingual family... doesn't mean they're necessarily good at languages and have the mind to learn more just because they've been educated in them since they were a toddler.

Their relative difference means you would have to really explain why you changed your mind, particularly in your SAQ, to make sure they don't think you're just applying to Theology because it might be an 'easier' way in.

The alternative is to pick different universities and go for Ox****. I would have probably done that if Cambridge rejected me, albeit with a heavy heart and an extra £18k debt on top.

EDIT: Sorry if you meant changing Tripos, then all this information is irrelevant I just thought you meant you were rejected and were going to reapply in the next cycle.

ReputationRep:
    Er ... maybe i misunderstood but i'm not sure you need to speak hebrew and arabic for Theology. I only say this because i have a mate who's in her second year of studying it and she's never learnt either. I'd be pretty surprised if she could say a word in either language. She does, however, learn Greek...

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for this course. History, English Literature, RE, philosophy and a foreign language are all deemed 'desirable' subjects to have at A-level, so, in short, yes History is similar in content and your interest here would benefit your Theology studies; therefore in terms of entry similarity, I would not like to call it, as others have said, check in advance with the individual college. .

With regards to languages, Arabic AND Hebrew are not both compulsory. All the Theology courses I have applied to require the study of one language during the first year. Cambridge offer a choice from Sanskrit, Greek, Arabic and Hebrew (most universities only offer Greek or Hebrew; perhaps from that one can allude to the importance Cambridge place on language?) I believe, from reading another students comments on TSR, that you can indeed opt to study two languages in year one at Cambridge within your optional choice modules. At Cambridge you can also continue the study of your language into the second year. It's all on the website, detailed under the module list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    Just saying that Hebrew and Arabic may well not be an advantage at all. It's a bit like an MML student who can already speak four languages due to their multi-lingual family... doesn't mean they're necessarily good at languages and have the mind to learn more just because they've been educated in them since they were a toddler.

My parents did not teach me to speak arabic nor hebrew. I learnt these language only through lessons at school, and now have good qualifications in them. I am not Arab/Muslim nor am I Jewish. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes all the difference.

ReputationRep:
    My parents did not teach me to speak arabic nor hebrew. I learnt these language only through lessons at school, and now have good qualifications in them. I am not Arab/Muslim nor am I Jewish. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes all the difference.
    I like the attitude but seriously you won't get out of learning a language, as said earlier you'll just be made to learn Ancient Greek, and other than proving your aptitude for languages it by no means guarantees a place. But good luck nevertheless, just don't expect a place.

And my example was not assuming you were taught them as a child, it was merely stating its relative irrelevence.

ReputationRep:
    How do I ask for feedback? Just an email to my original college? Have I missed my chance?

I hope you're all coping better with rejection than me!

Considering reapplying as my Principal feels I was very close (pooled then very ill for second interview which he thinks affected performance but I don't blame my rejection entirely on that at all) but want to see what feedback I get first. I've had a rough year with illness and stress so maybe a gap year will be good for my anyway, whether or not I reapply to Cam. We'll see.

Good luck with all your other offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holbolrob)
    How do I ask for feedback? Just an email to my original college? Have I missed my chance?

I hope you're all coping better with rejection than me!

Considering reapplying as my Principal feels I was very close (pooled then very ill for second interview which he thinks affected performance but I don't blame my rejection entirely on that at all) but want to see what feedback I get first. I've had a rough year with illness and stress so maybe a gap year will be good for my anyway, whether or not I reapply to Cam. We'll see.

Good luck with all your other offers.
    I was in something of a similar situation - I was pooled, rejected, then reapplied and got in post-results. If you think you can fill a gap year with useful (and of course enjoyable) things, and can bear the fee-hike, then it's definitely worth considering, in my opinion.

It would perhaps be inadvisable to reject 4 other offers to good unis, if you got them. I only applied to Cam first time round, knowing I'd want to reapply if I didn't get in, and take a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiteo)
    I was in something of a similar situation - I was pooled, rejected, then reapplied and got in post-results. If you think you can fill a gap year with useful (and of course enjoyable) things, and can bear the fee-hike, then it's definitely worth considering, in my opinion.

It would perhaps be inadvisable to reject 4 other offers to good unis, if you got them. I only applied to Cam first time round, knowing I'd want to reapply if I didn't get in, and take a gap year.
    Well done on getting in. You give me hope! Not sure if I would re-apply but we'll see depending on my results I guess. Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svalir)
    Rejection this year was dealt with so much more nastily, last year I was pooled and then rejected by Pembroke and I can't even describe how lovely their letter was, they were so apologetic and so kind, made you feel like they were unlucky not to have accepted you and that you'd go on to far greater things.

Jesus were blunt and horrible about it. I'd recommend every college to take a leaf out of Pembroke's book, rejection for people of our age is extremely tough to cope with, colleges need to be very sensitive about it, whereas I feel like burning Jesus college to the ground, I still have warm feelings for Pembroke as a result of their lovely feedback.
    I was rejected from Pembroke and I know what you mean about the letter - lovely, yes.

ReputationRep:
    When: 6th Jan.. I think
    How: A tiny white envelope
    What for: Law
    College: Pembroke
    Emotions: Nothing, I didn't feel anything whatsoever, I knew I wouldn't get in so I didn't psyche myself up.
    Reapply: No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svalir)
    Whoa! I think that's a little harsh? Judging by how I'm feeling now, being told I was so close just filled me with regret and 'what if' scenarios. It's only going to be more competitive next year, I'm just saying to think carefully before reapplying and not to base it all on the feedback. Jeez.

Saying I'm incompetent for being rejected is totally the wrong way to go about things, we can't all be perfect and get offers like you.
    What, do you think it will be even more competitive next year, even with the increase in tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    What, do you think it will be even more competitive next year, even with the increase in tuition fees?
    Maybe not for the first year but over a couple of years only those who are really dedicated will want to go to University and they'll all be fighting for the top places. People are also ****ing terrified that they'll be unemployable without an OxBridge degree. It's nonsense, but I understand the feeling to some degree (even though I want to stay in academics.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyam)
    Maybe not for the first year but over a couple of years only those who are really dedicated will want to go to University and they'll all be fighting for the top places. People are also ****ing terrified that they'll be unemployable without an OxBridge degree. It's nonsense, but I understand the feeling to some degree (even though I want to stay in academics.)
    Yeah, I suppose. I'm not relying on the btw, I was just wondering. What do you mean you want to stay in academics?

What is truth? Isn't it in itself beautiful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King-Panther)
    Yeah, I suppose. I'm not relying on the btw, I was just wondering. What do you mean you want to stay in academics?

What is truth? Isn't it in itself beautiful?
    No, don't be silly. The truth is merely a property of propositions and it alters an a sliding scale correlating to how accurate the proposition, if fully understood in its expressed manner, relates to this world or any other world if specified. Glad I could solve that philosophical issue for you.

Now, I just mean that I'd probably want to carry on for a doctorate if I got a first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.